User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Eh c'mon he just asked where are the interesting pplz, y u so serious.
    Because there are hundreds (thousands?) of grad students with more than 100 000 K of student loans who make 20-something thousand a year teaching as an adjunct at the top of their earnings. You can't declare bankruptcy from student loans here like you can from a mortgage. You can screw over your entire life in the American student loan system.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis
    Likes Noon liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Can I very respectfully suggest that this is an ignorant question?

Are you independently wealthy and don't need to consider job prospects? Because that should be your first filter (you need to be good enough at the area to land a job). You either need to be legitimately privileged ($) or you should have someone grab your shoulders and shake you for not nailing down a plan is for survival.

Whatever you do, don't take on loans to do grad school. Either get fully funded, pay from your independent wealth, or don't go.
    Ever since I discovered you plotted your academic career from an early age, I have been flabagasted, discombombulated and, I confess, disillusioned. You are the opposite side of the Moon. I person so different from myself I can't begin to understand you. And I can't begin to change you. I can't even begin to improve you. And yet to yourself you are completely normal. And even your friends find you normal. And yet here you are, popping up day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I think I'm just going to pursue academia. I'm lucky in that it is a relatively accessible field to me.

So, I'm wondering, in your estimation, which fields tend to have the most interesting types of people?

Also, beyond the intrinsic value each academic field has, what is supposed to be the value of various academic fields? Eg

Engineering-make things function better.
    Math-??
    Philosophy-??
    PolySci-??
    History-??
    Psychology-??
    Sociology-??
    There is no doubt the Architecture Faculty has the most interesting people.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Because there are hundreds (thousands?) of grad students with more than 100 000 K of student loans who make 20-something thousand a year teaching as an adjunct at the top of their earnings. You can't declare bankruptcy from student loans here like you can from a mortgage. You can screw over your entire life in the American student loan system.
    Who cares, it's just a topic on an internet forum. Even if you're personally involved, it doesn't mean you need to pour your fears on the thread starter. From my POV, an academic career based on potential earnings would be a stupid move, given that potential earnings are relatively low.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

Philosophy, political science, anything art related. Anything abstract and conducive to creative thinking and freedom of expression.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

How about math ? intresting people there are for sure
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Permabanned

You can screw over your entire American life in the American student loan system.
    I know people who have like 100k in loans who "disappeared" and now live quite nicely in obscure places around the world. It kind of sucks for America, sure, but at the end of the day you have your own priorities and can't afford to be ideological.

The world is a sucky place..you do what you must...and then you die.

Permabanned

I hate our math faculty...they are too perfect. I want to dig up dirt on one of the professors and throw it in his face just as he goes through yet another quadratic equation seamlessly. I imagine I'd shout "do you teach your mistress math!" as I threw the incriminating photos in his direction. Nothing would give me more pleasure...
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Who cares, it's just a topic on an internet forum. Even if you're personally involved, it doesn't mean you need to pour your fears on the thread starter. From my POV, an academic career based on potential earnings would be a stupid move, given that potential earnings are relatively low.
    My reply was American-centric, but it's not in the slightest bit personal. This "POV" of mine is about as common as postmodernist worldviews in American academia. Respectfully, your POV doesn't see the American system.

I'm not talking about "relatively low" earnings, I'm talking about signing loan papers that will put you so far in debt that it's mathematically impossible to climb out of it with your degree, and there's no bankruptcy option.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'd say Poli. Sci. but then again I'm a little bit biased.