User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any psychologists around here?

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    I remember I joined an encounter group which was very important to me but towards the end of the group I tried to share my bicameral mind but it was rejected by the group. It was rejected without discussion, in fact it was a visceral rejection.

And we only make such a visceral rejection when it touches on something that is taboo.

So who would have guessed the bicameral mind is taboo. It is taboo in schizophrenia. It is taboo in poetry.

It appears the bicameral mind is a felt threat to the literate individual whose mind is linear and sequential.

Also the bicameral mind operates without pause for thought, while the mind of the literate individual is detached.

The bicameral mind obeys the voice of God without thinking, while the literate individual asks, what is God saying?

And the bicameral mind can obey the voice of God or obey the voice of the tribe, or in our case, the etribe.

And most interesting the bicameral mind can create heaven or hell. Hell in the case of schizophrenia, and heaven in the case of poetry.

Literacy enabled us to escape from the bicameral mind, while poetry listens.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on

Permabanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silveresque View Post
    I'm thinking of majoring in psychology and becoming a clinical psychologist (or some type of counselor, I haven't decided what exactly I want to do), but I don't know if this is the right field for me. What if I do all that work to get my Master's or Phd and find that I hate it? I mean, I love studying psychology, but what if I don't like the actual practice? Being a counselor would mean that I work with patients everyday, and I'm not exactly a people person. I can get along with anyone, but I'm so introverted that I don't really enjoy socializing and need a lot of alone time.

I guess what I'm asking is, what characteristics does it take to be a counselor/psychologist? I need to know if I'm suited for this type of career. Will I not like it if I don't particularly like socializing/interacting with people? Are there ways I could make it work for me?
    You must possess an obsessive desire to render all humans vulnerable by learning to read their minds with your practical knowledge of the human psyche.

You must possess a strong desire to understand humans on a deeper level of understanding so that you can further connect with them on a level they were unaware.

9w1 sx/so

i sort of want to be too...except i think i'd rather study them than help them...unless it was for couples therapy or family counseling or something. i'd be good at that i think.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison