User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 36

  1. #1
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default No More Resumes?

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...991814896.html
    Union Square Ventures recently posted an opening for an investment analyst.

    Instead of asking for résumés, the New York venture-capital firm—which has invested in Twitter, Foursquare, Zynga and other technology companies—asked applicants to send links representing their "Web presence," such as a Twitter account or Tumblr blog. Applicants also had to submit short videos demonstrating their interest in the position.

    Union Square says its process nets better-quality candidates —especially for a venture-capital operation that invests heavily in the Internet and social-media—and the firm plans to use it going forward to fill analyst positions and other jobs.

    Companies are increasingly relying on social networks such as LinkedIn, video profiles and online quizzes to gauge candidates' suitability for a job. While most still request a résumé as part of the application package, some are bypassing the staid requirement altogether.

    A résumé doesn't provide much depth about a candidate, says Christina Cacioppo, an associate at Union Square Ventures who blogs about the hiring process on the company's website and was herself hired after she compiled a profile comprising her personal blog, Twitter feed, LinkedIn profile, and links to social-media sites Delicious and Dopplr, which showed places where she had traveled.
    At this point in time, I see this as something small companies and internet start-ups can/are doing, but not large corporations. What do you think?

  2. #2
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Honestly, I was pretty horrified when I saw this. I mean... blogs and even Twitter (!?!) being necessary to apply for a job? Now, this is a company that's heavily involved in "social networking" (even typing that makes me feel dirty), so it's much more understandable than if it were someplace like IBM, but still... ugh.

    The thing that bothers me the most about this is that it pretty much obliterates the compartmentalization of your personal life and work life. I'm pretty private about my personal life. This forum is really the only place I've exposed anything online at all, and it would be unlikely for a prospective employer to find me here based on well... anything. I don't want to advertise my personal life (boring as it may be ) online -- at all. To be required to do that in order to get a job I find pretty objectionable. I mean, specific career-sites like LinkedIn are one thing... I mean, you could basically use LinkedIn as a resume-publishing service. But the rest of this -- the presumption that employers should be privy to details of your personal life before hiring you is a step towards required conformity (especially given that social networking sites often have tags for you that *other* people have entered). Want to get to know me? Invite me in and talk to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #3
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Honestly, I was pretty horrified when I saw this. I mean... blogs and even Twitter (!?!) being necessary to apply for a job? Now, this is a company that's heavily involved in "social networking" (even typing that makes me feel dirty), so it's much more understandable than if it were someplace like IBM, but still... ugh.

    The thing that bothers me the most about this is that it pretty much obliterates the compartmentalization of your personal life and work life. I'm pretty private about my personal life. This forum is really the only place I've exposed anything online at all, and it would be unlikely for a prospective employer to find me here based on well... anything. I don't want to advertise my personal life (boring as it may be ) online -- at all. To be required to do that in order to get a job I find pretty objectionable. I mean, specific career-sites like LinkedIn are one thing... I mean, you could basically use LinkedIn as a resume-publishing service. But the rest of this -- the presumption that employers should be privy to details of your personal life before hiring you is a step towards required conformity (especially given that social networking sites often have tags for you that *other* people have entered). Want to get to know me? Invite me in and talk to me.
    Me, too--every word of this. I don't even have a Facebook account, and I don't want one. To think that in the future one's job would depend on one's "social media presence" is horrifying. Furthermore, I don't even want everyone I know following me on Twitter. I don't want my employer following me. But meh, kelric covered everything and said it better, so I'll just say, ITA.
    Something Witty

  4. #4
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    The video seems like a good idea. You can manage to perceive the "vibe" of the applicant before the interview, something which isn't easily done via resume.

    Facebook and twitter, no way, unless someone has a work-only account.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #5
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Yeah it sounds like a nightmare to me too. I think there are a lot of companies out there who want you to BE your job.

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    The video seems like a good idea. You can manage to perceive the "vibe" of the applicant before the interview, something which isn't easily done via resume.
    I could see the rationale of this but I keep thinking about how many videos they would have to watch. Not only that, it's unfortunate if someone doesn't do well on cameras but does better live.

    Facebook and twitter, no way, unless someone has a work-only account.
    Your employer wants to know what you are doing every minute of the day and night!!!

  6. #6

    Default

    The videos aren't an issue... but personal blogs and updates? I understand why jobs become a large part of our lives, but I am NOT okay with a large part of our lives becoming subject to our jobs. This is a scary precedent. I hope it fails with flying colors.
    Union Square says its process nets better-quality candidates —especially for a venture-capital operation that invests heavily in the Internet and social-media—and the firm plans to use it going forward to fill analyst positions and other jobs.
    And of course it's a more accurate view of an individual's character. It's highly invasive. One day employers could also demand a colonoscopy and genetic testing to determine our health and factor how it may impact future job performance etc., but do we want that becoming routine? I sure as hell don't. And unfortunately, as social networking and online presence becomes more ubiquitous, up-and-coming generations will have a weaker sense of what separates private from public. It may not seem strange to them at all. This could conceivably become the norm.

    People will start working earlier and earlier to establish a 'life resume' by generating a substantial online presence so they can get better jobs, get into better colleges etc. What if academic institutions take this up? Parents will start pushing kids to generate a public profile on tumblr and twitter and Facebook by the time they're 12.

    Yikes!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  7. #7
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The videos aren't an issue... but personal blogs and updates? I understand why jobs become a large part of our lives, but I am NOT okay with a large part of our lives becoming subject to our jobs. This is a scary precedent. I hope it fails with flying colors.


    And of course it's a more accurate view of an individual's character. It's highly invasive. One day employers could also demand a colonoscopy and genetic testing to determine our health and factor how it may impact future job performance etc., but do we want that becoming routine? I sure as hell don't. And unfortunately, as social networking and online presence becomes more ubiquitous, up-and-coming generations will have a weaker sense of what separates private from public. It may not seem strange to them at all. This could conceivably become the norm.

    People will start working earlier and earlier to establish a 'life resume' by generating a substantial online presence so they can get better jobs, get into better colleges etc. What if academic institutions take this up? Parents will start pushing kids to generate a public profile on tumblr and twitter and Facebook by the time they're 12.

    Yikes!
    It's called Timeline @ FB, soon to cease being optional.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  8. #8
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    My knee-jerk reaction is also one of dismay. How ridiculous. The world of work cannot have my personal life. It's bad enough that people can google you upon learning your full name. (Aliases are the best!)

    But in actuality, media types and the social media "whores" I know, (I mean that lovingly), get quite a lot of their work through these channels. I guess the employer referenced in the article is formalizing a process that's already pretty popular in certain industries.

    As an employer or employee, I would never ask for nor submit anything from the personal world to be raked over. Anyone who needs that from me would not be a good fit. I don't want to know that much about anyone I'm working with either.

  9. #9
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Anyway, this is an investment analyst position, not social media web developer, publishing PR, or such things. So I don't really see the rationale for requiring your FB timeline, except control over your life.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #10
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    That's horrifying.

Similar Threads

  1. I lurk no more
    By pippi in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
  2. No more " What type is the..." threads
    By Thursday in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. please, please no more applause
    By Chall T. Dow in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO