User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP

So what happens if you don't engage in social media, or very rarely? I only have a facebook account, and in the course of 3 years I have probably posted on there 40 times (rough estimation.) I will become active for a short time, lose interest, and then neglect it for months.
    The last time I've been on was back in August.
    This is very biased towards extraverts in general. I can't imagine intuitive thinkers (just to pick out one group) and other similar groups being very active in stuff like that. Or maybe it is just me?
    Will this effectively shut out certain audiences, if this becomes an ideal business mentality across the board?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tessertime View Post
    This is very biased towards extraverts in general. I can't imagine intuitive thinkers (just to pick out one group) and other similar groups being very active in stuff like that. Or maybe it is just me?
    Will this effectively shut out certain audiences, if this becomes an ideal business mentality across the board?
    Yes. That was my point. It's sanctioned discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

TBH, a person's online identity could very well be relative, but in general people still treat their onine identity as a form of escapism. I think it is wrong to base your judgements on someones online profiles.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

garbage

Geez. The mission statement behind sites like Facebook and *gags, throws up* Google+ is that they are communities where we share our lives. Employers expect us to be perfect specimens who don't do keg stands and things of that nature. They're also rolling with the assumption that if we're not putting it all online, that we have something to hide.

I'd rather push against the expectation that we ought to be pristine, that we can't show our true selves.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I actually do have a peronal example though in which we used this to our advantage.

About a year ago we were looking for a few people in different areas that were close with the communities and had a presence there to come work for us. And we did look people up on the internet to see what they contribute to their communities and see how well they are known and fit in their areas.

It was in no way a means to judge them on a personal level, I reserve that for the interview, but for various reasons, it was very important that they were a presence in their communities in order for the application to work.

The applications were for funeral directors in small rural towns where we wanted to expand to. You simply can not come into a community like that with mister of misses nobodyknowsme and succeed. As proven by the fact we could not find an applicant that fit the full profile for one of the areas and we've done little to nothing there, despite hiring someone there that is cut out for the job, he just lacks the community connections. But other areas where we positioned people that did fit the profile well, business is booming.

Ofcourse, it was just one part of the applicatin process, the interview is still the most important factor. Not everyone is cut out for the funeral business.

I'm just saying, there are exceptions where peoples online presence can account for a lot, based on the job description. But in general, with most jobs, I don't see the importance.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tessertime View Post
    So what happens if you don't engage in social media, or very rarely? I only have a facebook account, and in the course of 3 years I have probably posted on there 40 times (rough estimation.) I will become active for a short time, lose interest, and then neglect it for months.
    new models are being introduced which account for the real reasons people thrive in their role: compatibility with the team and company. unfortunately, Facebook and Twitter are now and always will be mined for information you don't necessarily mean to put on your "invisible resume".

and if you aren't worried already, check out Identified. your employability is soon to be reduced to a tidy number.

based on factors that include your participation in social networks, somewhat ridiculously. i wonder if nerds get credit for 'liking' Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog.

parenthetically, Reed Hoffman seems to be one of the few introverted founders in this space. i believe LinkedIn's early model actually reflected that, and served as a counterpoint to Facebook urging you to over-share/-expose.

people will build more participatory models. it is likely, however, that a leader will emerge who will monetize by reducing you to a score whose components are likely to concern you.

the trend really is analogous to credit scores. and companies like Klout knew that when they launched algorithms to measure your social influence. given their $400m valuation, it was a matter of time before measuring employability followed suit.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.