User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default The Future of Online Education?

Last year at Stanford, professor Sebastian Thurn decided to make one of his classes open to anyone. Not only did he put up videos of the class online, but he actually made online tests and material, and upon completing the class you got a certificate. He got about 160,000 students signed up for this class from all over the world.

He liked the turnout so much that he actually decided to leave his job at Stanford to work only on Udacity, a site which provides university level classes with real professors for free. There are only 2 classes right now (the classes begin February 20), but you can enroll in them right now if you want to.

I'm wondering how this will turn out. Will it just end up as a one time thing, or could this be the future of education?

http://www.udacity.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Permabanned

I'd be very surprised if the future of education isn't this.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I'd be very surprised if the future of education isn't this.
    You mean Udacity specifically or free online education in general?
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Permabanned

b

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have taught college classes online through a rural community college for the past four years, and have other family members who have been teaching online for much longer than that. Last summer there was even a distance education conference. I would say the field is already stabilized as something that will endure and is growing rapidly. Community colleges are some of the leaders, but many universities have an online component. It is fantastic. There is even K-12 education available online now, but that is really recent - within the past year or two.

Did you specifically mean free classes? I think MIT has free access to some of their classes.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTj

Working for free is an unsustainable business model.

. . . unless all the employees are rich, of course.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ESFJ

This is the way forward.

I much prefer to be educated in an environment other than in a classroom. I can then work at a pace which suits me instead of waiting for others to catch up and me becoming bored in the process.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTP

I think online education is definitely the future of education. I also think that Udacity in particular is a step forward; there are already online classes and such, but this is the first one I've seen that A) is done by a professional B) is a real class (with grades and tests and exams and due dates) C) has a huge, international user base and D) is completely free (as in it has all of these things; certainly there are other options which have just one or two). It could even end up being taught in different languages.

Not that I want to downplay classes from universities that have been put up online: just before finding this I was "taking" Physics 200 at Yale (actually just classes 12 through 15 in particular). It was awesome.

Go ahead and sign up for the classes at Udacity if you want. They're really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Working for free is an unsustainable business model.

. . . unless all the employees are rich, of course.
    That's true, but I think many professors who really do enjoy educating will be willing to teach an extra class for "the greater good", which is why I think Udacity could work really well.

Too bad it has such a terrible name, though.