• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lifestyles for people who don't like work?

xisnotx

Permabanned
Something I've come to realize about myself is that I don't like work. I dislike having to get up..having to be somewhere..having to do something. It's not that I'm lazy (I can be extremely hardworking sometimes..) it's just I hate having to do something. Even if I have to do this thing just once, I'll still hate every moment leading up to me doing this thing. Ironically, I'm quite capable of doing a lot of things...I just hate being scheduled to do it.

This is why I've had a hard time picking and sticking to a career. I don't want to be boxed in like that. I have no idea if future me is going to like doing the same type of things past me likes, all I know is preseent me would rather let future me figure it out without dictating terms to him..if that makes sense.

It's a shame because I know I'm capable of producing value..but the value I produce is only realized as value after it has been produced. While it was being being produced, it was being produced for the sake of itself...regardless of potential value. I like if what I'm doing turns out to have value, but absolutely hate it when I'm expected to produce value.

Which is kind of the definition of work. Thus, I hate work.

But the world doesn't work that way (but then again the world doesn't really 'work' either, not well anyway..)

So what would you recomend as career to someone who hates work?

( I figured I'd ask, you never know, right?)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a bit like you, I usually a hard time to wake up befor midday. That being said, I actually like to work very much, but I'm a slow starter and I dislike shedules.

Guru, rock star, dictator are good carrers for people like us, but to achieve this, you need to be good at self-promotion and have a real passion for what you do.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am very productive on the 3 to 11 shift and I don't feel that intimidation of having to be somewhere every morning. If I have to be somewhere early in the morning 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I am completely miserable and feel as though it takes over my life. I'm never stressed or anxious about having to be at work with a 32 hour, 3 to 11, flexible schedule.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
your like 90% of the population just saying

no, lots of people love to work. most of the Js I know (especially TJs) can't stop working

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
... Future me doesn't like being dictated to... What are good careers for people who don't like work

Finally a thread I can get behind! It's a shame the language doesn't really allow us to say what I know were both thinking. The way it gets said always implies we want to win the lottery. I always have to explain, "I'm willing/want to do work and produce valued things! ... I just don't like the available options which more resemble indentured servitude!"

It's easy(er) to live the way you're describing if you go a) frugal b) create a 2 years rainy day fund c) don't have a family or kids to financially ruin everything... It's not that easy but also not that hard. THEN just work intermittent projects and odd jobs etc. This sort of plan tends to get poo pooed by parents and older folk with the "well you'll need to pick a career to support a house and a family!". Like you, I always wonder why is future me dictating to present day me? Why do these phantom families that we don't yet have dictating our lives ?!

Guru, rock star, dictator are good carrers for people like us, but to achieve this, you need to be good at self-promotion and have a real passion for what you do.

Guru of something non-pretentious is a good route. Then you can either run your own small company or shop or work out a good deal with an employer.

I'd guess:
40% want something for nothing, period ( lottery)
30% want something for something (I denatured servitude and they'll enjoy it for all the 'thingz' it buys and 'for their family')
20% want nothing, period (hermit monk types)
10% want to work, but don't want to be indentured servants

no, lots of people love to work. most of the Js I know (especially TJs) can't stop working

Id say all SJs. Most SPs. Some NTs. Most NFs I know don't like work mostly because the real world doesnt really value (with $) what we have to offer.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I don't think that's true, we just like to be productive.

I would suggest a later schedule. A lot of the people I know that work 3-11 or midnights love it and never want to switch.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm going to be self-employed eventually, it's just harder because I don't have any manual skills, the only things I like to do are music & writing. I don't think it's possible to make money with writing anymore, unless you get discovered by a famous publisher in New York City & write a story about overcoming alcoholism or being a housewife who has a life-awakening affair with a younger man. I'm certain I can make money with music but it's going to take a few years of poverty, but das coo.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Id say all SJs. Most SPs. Some NTs. Most NFs I know don't like work mostly because the real world doesnt really value (with $) what we have to offer.

i don't think it's about "love to work" at all, for anyone. who loves jumping out of bed on an icy monday morning to drive to work in the dark? pretty much no one. the SJs i know and love - my mom and boyfriend - i think they're just like me, they'd really rather spend their time being free, but they seem to more easily accept work as something that is simply a necessary part of life than the Ps i know. we tend to... resist... more. thread being case in point.

i think we'd all rather live life on our own schedule but that's just not a feasible possibility for the vast majority of us.

Lexus

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I hate routine.

Start organized crime, become the head boss - works every time.

In all seriousness though, a kiosk in a mall, teach English to somebody who doesn't speak it for good money, find someone to make music with or make ringtone for phones..or find the newspaper and sign up to make cd cases in your house all day long, whenever you want.

As for lifestyle around that; well, you have to be prepared to go from one thing to the next, and scan for all possibilities for it to support you and not fall through. Kiosks cost alot depending on where you go, but I did it for a year, and if you provide the right product at the right time of year, it's gold.

But if you have bills, like my leased car - the lifestyle is too inconsistent to support this. It may cause anxiety and stress if you aren't willing to go out and get all these permits and documents to work on your own, have your own business, etc.

Otherwise, start selling or trafficking drugs, good money, if you're smart..or stolen tvs, weapons, car parts, whatever. Or buy cheap cars and up sell them to morons. I bought a Mercedes from someone, cleaned it up and up sold it, but that requires a lot of people skills because you have to be able to convince them, hehe.

If you also fall in line with a community or network of people, you can get far. Found a guy that redid floors whenever he felt like it, and would call me to help if I wanted. I'd make 800 bucks a day working 12 hours, at mansions just popping up wood and laying it down and waxing it, and I made my own schedule. It wasn't steady work, but the money you'd get in a single day - no problem.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i just learned about a this profession-description: "philosophical counselor" :D

(like a psychologist, who is only concerned with grown up issues, like existential crisis or ethical dillemas in real life, but not with matters of personality structure. like a guru who doesn't go all the way, unles he is asked to)

someone already mentioned gurus, but most gurus used to be students/seekers once and many students got around the world somehow, hopping from guru to guru to monastery to cult to church, having exciting adventures, you know sex with women from 50 different countries. as well as having short jobs in this or that country. it's psychologically less frustrating (but more scary) to work in a purposeless, maybe shitty job, if you work for a goal (like getting the money to continue your trip to another country) than when all your work is only done to finance your meaningless existence in the same old shitty boring town, waiting for the premiere of the 253rd tv channel.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm starting up my own business to support myself through school so I don't have to get a retail job

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have a love/hate relationship with work. I love the idea of it at present but that's only because I've been out of it for 5 months *sigh*. I prefer employment without a clear direction so leaving options open. Though saying that today i applied for a job in another city which will require bus, train then bus again. And to imagine i pissed and moaned about about walking 5 mins to work in my last role, lol.

It's all good fun, so they say. *I don't know who 'they' are*

If you consider the self employment route, just ask yourself, What skill do have that people would be willing to pay for? Then go forth and conquer :)

That's cool. What kind of business?

She has been banned (name in red) for a while but will be back eventually ;)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I am very productive on the 3 to 11 shift and I don't feel that intimidation of having to be somewhere every morning. If I have to be somewhere early in the morning 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I am completely miserable and feel as though it takes over my life. I'm never stressed or anxious about having to be at work with a 32 hour, 3 to 11, flexible schedule.

Exactly. OP, you should specify what you mean by "I don't like to work". If you don't like working a traditional 9-to-5 then you are in the boat with most people.

Do you not like working for other people?

Do you not like a consistent schedule?

Do you not like having to get dressed for work and commute?

So many jobs can give you flexibility, different hours, episodic/project based work, relaxed dress codes, being your own boss,etc.

Por ejemplo:

Hairstylist, nurse, anything with movie production, massage therapist, small business owner (could be anything from being a dog walker to franchising a Subway to public relations), house cleaning, sales job where no one cares about anything other than your quotas and you get paid on commission, work in a restaurant (server, host, waiter), nightlife (bartender, cocktail waitress, go-go dancer), real estate agent, graphic designer, interior designer, writer, journalist, private tutor, instructor for adults (in the arts, computer science, sports, etc.)

I just saw an episode of 'House Hunters International' where a Frenchman from Paris with exactly the same aversion as you took a paltry $20,000, took a course in cheese making, and moved to a remote rural area of Nepal to buy land and build and run a cheese farm with no electricity. I'm not kidding. He plans on making a living selling his 'french cheese made by a real french man' in Kathmandu 1x a week.

Think about what it is you don't like and what it is you do like and make it happ'n cap'n.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are you any good at poker? You could go pro, but it might be risky. You could even be on the other side of the table dealing cards. Playing games all day wouldn't feel like work :), plus you could work weird hours if you wanted to.