User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Value of MBA

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default Value of MBA

I am currently studying the final year of an MBA as I believed it might be good for my career. Has anyone else here studied and MBA and if so what impact did it have on your career progression?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

So far the MBA has struck me to be a chance for rich people to have an excuse to work a little less and enjoy some study time.

Think in big companies it is mandatory, if you want to become a chairman or something. They dont teach only boring theory on those business schools around here, but the schools have a certain standing that attracts financially well-suited people and those are networked into the big companies and their connections. That makes it easier for companies to either find good management material or people with money to back up their endeavours.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

@entropie :
    It makes sense in the US. Given the European education system MBAs are a bit silly to be frank as a 'regular' masters degree in a business school equates a bachelor + MBA only without full-time work in between.
    Now of course people will deny this but while there are counter arguments one could raise most of them are based in a form of secular superstition. It's basically the same piece of paper shaped into a different Origami.

Now there is of course the question of the quality of the education provided. But that applies to a European-type masters degree as well as to any MBA. It's one of the ways the US education system and culture exports itself, it also offers a form of job protectionism by putting a stamp onto a form of education that isn't inherently qualitatively better than another and biasing the recruiters with what is after all just a brand name. But advertising does work, just don't expect any MBA specific epiphany

@Valis :
    I think a good thing about MBAs is that as an 'extra' it shows a certain proactive attitude in one's scholastic achievements that can translate well in terms of job&advancement opportunities. It is of course based on assumptions people make about your character but then again what isn't
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    @entropie :
    It makes sense in the US. Given the European education system MBAs are a bit silly to be frank as a 'regular' masters degree in a business school equates a bachelor + MBA only without full-time work in between.
    Now of course people will deny this but while there are counter arguments one could raise most of them are based in a form of secular superstition. It's basically the same piece of paper shaped into a different Origami.

Now there is of course the question of the quality of the education provided. But that applies to a European-type masters degree as well as to any MBA. It's one of the ways the US education system and culture exports itself, it also offers a form of job protectionism by putting a stamp onto a form of education that isn't inherently qualitatively better than another and biasing the recruiters with what is after all just a brand name. But advertising does work, just don't expect any MBA specific epiphany
    My feeling is that in most small- and medium-sized businesses, which are profitable for years in Germany, they laugh at you when you wink with your MBA degree. Already hard to get a job there with a Bachelor or Masters degree at all, good old german Diplom-Ingenieur just is a lot more worth. :/

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

@Valis
    give us more details, we don't know where you live, if you studied business or some other field etc.

@entropie :
    If you actually want to be a manager in a company that has to do with engineering having business related skills can be useful and a business related education is after all a good and simple way of displaying this. It all depends on your career plan and approach.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

@entropie :
    If you actually want to be a manager in a company that has to do with engineering having business related skills can be useful and a business related education is after all a good and simple way of displaying this. It all depends on your career plan and approach.
    Ya but the practical dimension and theorethical dimension is a very important one where I come from. When you come with an MBA, they'll prolly give you a lower-management position or a project team where you can show your skills in a big company. Still having a MBA doesnt necessarily suit you for lower-management, so you could already fail there.

When you apply to a small- or medium-sized company, you'll get to management after climbing the ladder. There practical experience is all that matters. You can come quiet quickly tho to a management position, if you are good.

From my experience so far, the MBA has in my country only proven to be good for people, who are already in high management and want to become chairmans or CEOs. So its a degree you can aim at at around age 40 - 50. Thats how it is here.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

@entropie

Yeah I agree with most of this. Then again no experience or education necessarily means you would be good at a given task in a specific company. And of course people don't start with upper management jobs, they need the experience first and to show results but that applies to any job and education levels.
    You also have to consider competition on the job market, as silly as it sounds the guy with an mba is still more likely to get the job if we're talking about relatively young people. Companies receive tens of resumes weekly, and this is one sure way to differentiate oneself

... In theory.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yea true.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

@Valis
    give us more details, we don't know where you live, if you studied business or some other field etc.
    I'm in the UK, previously studied Computer Science at post-graduate level, management diploma and a post-graduate qualification in education and work in the education sector.

I've worked in middle management for a couple of years now managing ~20 people. My previous line manager has gone on to become a Principal after achieving an MBA, so I thought this might be worthwhile.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

@Valis
    if you work in the education sector i take it puting an emphasis on your education is all the more fruit bearing.

... In theory.