• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Value of MBA

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I am currently studying the final year of an MBA as I believed it might be good for my career. Has anyone else here studied and MBA and if so what impact did it have on your career progression?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
So far the MBA has struck me to be a chance for rich people to have an excuse to work a little less and enjoy some study time.

Think in big companies it is mandatory, if you want to become a chairman or something. They dont teach only boring theory on those business schools around here, but the schools have a certain standing that attracts financially well-suited people and those are networked into the big companies and their connections. That makes it easier for companies to either find good management material or people with money to back up their endeavours.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION] :
It makes sense in the US. Given the European education system MBAs are a bit silly to be frank as a 'regular' masters degree in a business school equates a bachelor + MBA only without full-time work in between.
Now of course people will deny this but while there are counter arguments one could raise most of them are based in a form of secular superstition. It's basically the same piece of paper shaped into a different Origami.

Now there is of course the question of the quality of the education provided. But that applies to a European-type masters degree as well as to any MBA. It's one of the ways the US education system and culture exports itself, it also offers a form of job protectionism by putting a stamp onto a form of education that isn't inherently qualitatively better than another and biasing the recruiters with what is after all just a brand name. But advertising does work, just don't expect any MBA specific epiphany

[MENTION=14697]Valis[/MENTION] :
I think a good thing about MBAs is that as an 'extra' it shows a certain proactive attitude in one's scholastic achievements that can translate well in terms of job&advancement opportunities. It is of course based on assumptions people make about your character but then again what isn't

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It makes sense in the US. Given the European education system MBAs are a bit silly to be frank as a 'regular' masters degree in a business school equates a bachelor + MBA only without full-time work in between.
Now of course people will deny this but while there are counter arguments one could raise most of them are based in a form of secular superstition. It's basically the same piece of paper shaped into a different Origami.

Now there is of course the question of the quality of the education provided. But that applies to a European-type masters degree as well as to any MBA. It's one of the ways the US education system and culture exports itself, it also offers a form of job protectionism by putting a stamp onto a form of education that isn't inherently qualitatively better than another and biasing the recruiters with what is after all just a brand name. But advertising does work, just don't expect any MBA specific epiphany

My feeling is that in most small- and medium-sized businesses, which are profitable for years in Germany, they laugh at you when you wink with your MBA degree. Already hard to get a job there with a Bachelor or Masters degree at all, good old german Diplom-Ingenieur just is a lot more worth. :/

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=14697]Valis[/MENTION]
give us more details, we don't know where you live, if you studied business or some other field etc.

If you actually want to be a manager in a company that has to do with engineering having business related skills can be useful and a business related education is after all a good and simple way of displaying this. It all depends on your career plan and approach.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you actually want to be a manager in a company that has to do with engineering having business related skills can be useful and a business related education is after all a good and simple way of displaying this. It all depends on your career plan and approach.

Ya but the practical dimension and theorethical dimension is a very important one where I come from. When you come with an MBA, they'll prolly give you a lower-management position or a project team where you can show your skills in a big company. Still having a MBA doesnt necessarily suit you for lower-management, so you could already fail there.

When you apply to a small- or medium-sized company, you'll get to management after climbing the ladder. There practical experience is all that matters. You can come quiet quickly tho to a management position, if you are good.

From my experience so far, the MBA has in my country only proven to be good for people, who are already in high management and want to become chairmans or CEOs. So its a degree you can aim at at around age 40 - 50. Thats how it is here.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION]

Yeah I agree with most of this. Then again no experience or education necessarily means you would be good at a given task in a specific company. And of course people don't start with upper management jobs, they need the experience first and to show results but that applies to any job and education levels.
You also have to consider competition on the job market, as silly as it sounds the guy with an mba is still more likely to get the job if we're talking about relatively young people. Companies receive tens of resumes weekly, and this is one sure way to differentiate oneself

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
give us more details, we don't know where you live, if you studied business or some other field etc.
I'm in the UK, previously studied Computer Science at post-graduate level, management diploma and a post-graduate qualification in education and work in the education sector.

I've worked in middle management for a couple of years now managing ~20 people. My previous line manager has gone on to become a Principal after achieving an MBA, so I thought this might be worthwhile.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
if you work in the education sector i take it puting an emphasis on your education is all the more fruit bearing.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
if you work in the education sector i take it puting an emphasis on your education is all the more fruit bearing.

That's the assumption but there are a few exceptions. The usual combination of getting on well with the right people and promoting one's successes also seem to do the trick.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=14697]Valis[/MENTION] yeah i thought about nuancing but i don't think anybody but you or someone physically in ur close social surrounding can have the level of information to juge in which way the situation leans

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I am currently studying the final year of an MBA as I believed it might be good for my career. Has anyone else here studied and MBA and if so what impact did it have on your career progression?

Valis, I would say it sounds for you that you got the equivalent of an EMBA? I know of an exec at at a [large car manufacturer] who has been working on her EMBA while still working for several years now. Generally for people in your career progression you would enroll for an MBA as a specific key to unlock some new career track or level of work perhaps at the urging of a boss or mentor at work.

What did you get your MBA in? And what is your goal?

So I'm actually a little surprised to hear a more open ended question coming from you of 'what now?' I know people in their mid 20s who get an MBA because they "just want one" with the vague goal of "making lots of money and wearing suits" (or less vaguely being an investment banker or other typical Wall Street associated drone) and you need at least a few years of work place experience before the most recognized schools will even consider you.

Also, is true, you are in the UK and I'm wholly unfamiliar with the system there.

I'm going on the experiences and advice of my friends and acquaintances on this. In terms of other people I know who answered "what did you get your MBA in and what was your goal?" for some people I think it was not necessary because it has nothing to do with their actual job. I have a friend who got her MBA in marketing but then started a small business. I don't think she even likes marketing. And you don't need an MBA to start a small business.

For my acquaintance and others I know at manufacturers they are kinda told or given the chance to get their MBAs to get specific expertise (her work place pays for it I'm going to guess it has to do with supply chain or operations). It's almost like supplemental on the job training and it's understood you will get a promotion or be fast tracked as part of getting the MBA.

Even if you didn't study exactly what you want to do for your MBA, at least in the states, having an MBA from recognized name schools opens a lot of doors for you whether you want to take advantage of it or not. Especially when you couple it with the work experience you already have. My friend who started her own business is easily able to pick up work for the lean times of her small business. Having seen people get their MBA at different stages in life and their careers, I'd say there is a 'sweet spot' for how effective it is and the later in life/career you get it, the less impact has and less necessary it is.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Valis, I would say it sounds for you that you got the equivalent of an EMBA?

I haven't completed the MBA yet, but it's a standard business MBA studying the usual things such as finance, economics, HR, operations etc.

...And what is your goal?

To eventually become a Principal and then possibly go into politics. I also enjoy the subject of management and I'm considering doing research. Another possibility is to studying to become a member of CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) as I think this would improve my career options and would allow me to get into the private sector or set up my own business as a consultant.

pv255

I have an engineering background and thought the MBA material was very beneficial. The people? Not so useful...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Best experience is practical. MBA's dont teach you leadership qualities. On the contrary, I regulary see people who jump with a MBA into upper management to end up in something like strategic planning or controlling, somewhere where they can do the least damage :)

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Best experience is practical. MBA's dont teach you leadership qualities. On the contrary, I regulary see people who jump with a MBA into upper management to end up in something like strategic planning or controlling, somewhere where they can do the least damage :)

I'm also currently learning my trade the hard way managing 20+ people at operations level. However I'm happy to take the $$$ for a strategic role with no line management responsibility :D

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm in the UK, previously studied Computer Science at post-graduate level, management diploma and a post-graduate qualification in education and work in the education sector.

I've worked in middle management for a couple of years now managing ~20 people. My previous line manager has gone on to become a Principal after achieving an MBA, so I thought this might be worthwhile.

Sounds perfect. INTJ is an amazing type for IT corporate career. Absolutely amazing - tangible technical skills with an MBA (which school if I may ask).

I don't think you'll have any probs.

I don't see (from my Ne perspective) why you would be worried. It is aloways fascinating to take a look into the head of an Ni-Te.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Sounds perfect. INTJ is an amazing type for IT corporate career. Absolutely amazing - tangible technical skills with an MBA (which school if I may ask).

I don't think you'll have any probs.

I don't see (from my Ne perspective) why you would be worried. It is aloways fascinating to take a look into the head of an Ni-Te.

I study at a local University for reasons of convenience. It hasn't got a great reputation but we get good support my employers fund it so I can't complain.

The subject of management studies is one that I find fascinating in that it incorporates many subject areas including psychology, HR, finance, economics etc. However, the assessment is rather subjective and I feel that some of the staff seek to legitimize themselves and the topics they teach by being quite strict with the marking. It doesn't really matter to me in that the overall grade is irrelevant, all that matters is the qualification being passed, but I do prefer the objectivity and clairity of science and technical subjects where there are more clearly right and wrong answers. I'm obviously not a post-modernist :)