First 123 Last

Thread: Value of MBA

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    @Valis
    if you work in the education sector i take it puting an emphasis on your education is all the more fruit bearing.
    That's the assumption but there are a few exceptions. The usual combination of getting on well with the right people and promoting one's successes also seem to do the trick.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

@Valis yeah i thought about nuancing but i don't think anybody but you or someone physically in ur close social surrounding can have the level of information to juge in which way the situation leans
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post
    I am currently studying the final year of an MBA as I believed it might be good for my career. Has anyone else here studied and MBA and if so what impact did it have on your career progression?
    Valis, I would say it sounds for you that you got the equivalent of an EMBA? I know of an exec at at a [large car manufacturer] who has been working on her EMBA while still working for several years now. Generally for people in your career progression you would enroll for an MBA as a specific key to unlock some new career track or level of work perhaps at the urging of a boss or mentor at work.

What did you get your MBA in? And what is your goal?

So I'm actually a little surprised to hear a more open ended question coming from you of 'what now?' I know people in their mid 20s who get an MBA because they "just want one" with the vague goal of "making lots of money and wearing suits" (or less vaguely being an investment banker or other typical Wall Street associated drone) and you need at least a few years of work place experience before the most recognized schools will even consider you.

Also, is true, you are in the UK and I'm wholly unfamiliar with the system there.

I'm going on the experiences and advice of my friends and acquaintances on this. In terms of other people I know who answered "what did you get your MBA in and what was your goal?" for some people I think it was not necessary because it has nothing to do with their actual job. I have a friend who got her MBA in marketing but then started a small business. I don't think she even likes marketing. And you don't need an MBA to start a small business.

For my acquaintance and others I know at manufacturers they are kinda told or given the chance to get their MBAs to get specific expertise (her work place pays for it I'm going to guess it has to do with supply chain or operations). It's almost like supplemental on the job training and it's understood you will get a promotion or be fast tracked as part of getting the MBA.

Even if you didn't study exactly what you want to do for your MBA, at least in the states, having an MBA from recognized name schools opens a lot of doors for you whether you want to take advantage of it or not. Especially when you couple it with the work experience you already have. My friend who started her own business is easily able to pick up work for the lean times of her small business. Having seen people get their MBA at different stages in life and their careers, I'd say there is a 'sweet spot' for how effective it is and the later in life/career you get it, the less impact has and less necessary it is.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Valis, I would say it sounds for you that you got the equivalent of an EMBA?
    I haven't completed the MBA yet, but it's a standard business MBA studying the usual things such as finance, economics, HR, operations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    ...And what is your goal?
    To eventually become a Principal and then possibly go into politics. I also enjoy the subject of management and I'm considering doing research. Another possibility is to studying to become a member of CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) as I think this would improve my career options and would allow me to get into the private sector or set up my own business as a consultant.

I have an engineering background and thought the MBA material was very beneficial. The people? Not so useful...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Best experience is practical. MBA's dont teach you leadership qualities. On the contrary, I regulary see people who jump with a MBA into upper management to end up in something like strategic planning or controlling, somewhere where they can do the least damage
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Best experience is practical. MBA's dont teach you leadership qualities. On the contrary, I regulary see people who jump with a MBA into upper management to end up in something like strategic planning or controlling, somewhere where they can do the least damage
    I'm also currently learning my trade the hard way managing 20+ people at operations level. However I'm happy to take the $$$ for a strategic role with no line management responsibility

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ya thats a reasonable way to look at things
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post
    I'm in the UK, previously studied Computer Science at post-graduate level, management diploma and a post-graduate qualification in education and work in the education sector.

I've worked in middle management for a couple of years now managing ~20 people. My previous line manager has gone on to become a Principal after achieving an MBA, so I thought this might be worthwhile.
    Sounds perfect. INTJ is an amazing type for IT corporate career. Absolutely amazing - tangible technical skills with an MBA (which school if I may ask).

I don't think you'll have any probs.

I don't see (from my Ne perspective) why you would be worried. It is aloways fascinating to take a look into the head of an Ni-Te.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    Sounds perfect. INTJ is an amazing type for IT corporate career. Absolutely amazing - tangible technical skills with an MBA (which school if I may ask).

I don't think you'll have any probs.

I don't see (from my Ne perspective) why you would be worried. It is aloways fascinating to take a look into the head of an Ni-Te.
    I study at a local University for reasons of convenience. It hasn't got a great reputation but we get good support my employers fund it so I can't complain.

The subject of management studies is one that I find fascinating in that it incorporates many subject areas including psychology, HR, finance, economics etc. However, the assessment is rather subjective and I feel that some of the staff seek to legitimize themselves and the topics they teach by being quite strict with the marking. It doesn't really matter to me in that the overall grade is irrelevant, all that matters is the qualification being passed, but I do prefer the objectivity and clairity of science and technical subjects where there are more clearly right and wrong answers. I'm obviously not a post-modernist