• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Horrible College Experiences

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I have a friend that sleeps through alarms and stuff all the time. I'd hate to be that way because it'd probably come to screw me over a lot. Unfortunately, the other extreme isn't that great. Being a really light sleeper makes it hard to share a room (yes a room, not a house or apartment) with 2 other guys (one that works a graveyard shift and one that works a normal shift).

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
  • Worked as a security guard one summer outside in the worst area of town.
  • Worked as an RA. One huge student had just been released from prison :)shock:), and inspired his fellow on-campus roomates (5 of them) to behave as if they were in prison, the RD was the warden, and the RA's were prison guards. Every time an issue with them came up, the RD asked me to deal with it because I was the only one he hadn't threatened to harm or kill. :shock: :unsure:
  • Went into negative detail of exactly what I thought about one professor who was also my adviser... while he was unknowingly walking right behind me. :doh: :blush:
  • Discovered roomate had hepatitis... and when he found out, he confessed that he had been secretly borrowing my non-electric razor! :doh: :steam: (Fortunately, I always rinsed it well before using it, and this may have been one reason I avoided infection.)
  • Discovered floaties in my mouthwash bottle. :sick: Further investigation revealed that my roomate had no mouthwash, deodorant, or toothbrush of his own. :shocking: (This was not the hepatitis roomate.) On a positive note, he did have his own underwear. :yes: :rolleyes2:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
My very first class in college, I was late. I sneaked in, not knowing that it was abosultely not done to enter the auditorium after you arrive late...
Good thing was that the professor knew my name from day 1 :)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I had this microbiology class I was taking during the summer. I kept staying up later, but I kept getting up at 8 or so to go to class. I kept sleeping through class. Eventually, I slept through the test even though my alarm was set. I was gonna fail the test anyway.

I slept through one other test, and the teacher was willing to let me take it again. She also had a final replacing the lowest grade policy going, so I just went with that since I didn't have a good time to retake it.

I missed my chemistry final because I thought it was scheduled the day after it took place, but I found that out in the chemistry department. They let me take the test right away. I guessed on every question. Some how I still got a D in the class.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just the other night actually :doh:

I went out to the bars for the last time with a group of friends before dead week. I went up to the bar to get another gin and tonic and some drunk guy bought me 4 double shots of Patron- but under the horrible condition that I had to drink them all right there :shock: I took all 4 double shots in less than a minute and wandered off to play pool. I'd already had my fair share to drink, and soon I started to realize that I was kind of drunkish, so I went home.

What I had forgotten was that I had my final test in linguistics the next day at noon- I went to my classes deathly hung over and probably did a fairly horrible job on my exam because my only thought was "I need to get out of here- fast!" But I wasn't going to ask for an extention because it was my own damned fault that I felt so horrible :doh:

Not a fun experience

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Worst Undergrad Experience:

Story of accidental and confidence shaking violence followed by ambiguous and further confidence shaking sexual tension.

I don't mean to make light of your story, but it story tickled me for some reason. I think it's because I can identify with your total confusion at the sequence of events. It also sounds like a scenario from a teenaged movie.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
An Excursion in Microbiology

:doh: How could I forget this one! In some ways this seems like one of the worst, but it was actually one of the best! :laugh:

I had a crush on my microbiology lab partner, and our assignment was to try to find, isolate, and identify one of each of the common types of bacteria. We still needed some E. coli....

In a scientifically dramatic tone, I suggested that we, "Investigate the restrooms for traces of fecal matter in the toilet--skid marks!"

Surprisingly, she was just as enthusiastic about this as me, and we split up to check the restrooms. I looked carefully, but the toilets were clean. Disappointed, I exited. I told her of my failure, but her face was gleaming!

"Bingo, we're in luck!" :happy2: she said giving me a thumbs up and waving me in.

We both went into the women's restroom and examined her lucky find. We pipetted samples from the toilet into several test tubes. We discussed how we would analyze the samples, and nearly fell on the floor with laughter as we debated the various options for explaining our find and adventure to the rest of the class! :rofl1:

As we exited the restroom together, we were still smiling, laughing and giggling. Two science professors were standing right there. They had seen us leave the restroom together, and were eying us suspiciously. But then they saw the pipettes and test tubes we were carrying, and they went back to their conversation.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
As it was explained to me last night in Ventrilo chat, it's the week before finals when everyone is studying their asses off. I'm still not clear if there are classes during that week- we always just had a day or two of "reading days" between the end of classes and the beginning of finals.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We always have exactly one day before finals start. They're placed randomly over 2-3 weeks, so you usually end up studying for most of that time, with a few days off here and there, including a few at the beginning and end if you're lucky (I'm lucky to be done on the 24th, I have friends writing up til the 29th).

Not sure how it goes in the states, where most of you probably are.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are classes during dead week- they're just not allowed to have any tests during dead week :dry: In other words, it's a test free week of classes in which we all study our asses off and have no fun!

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
There are classes during dead week- they're just not allowed to have any tests during dead week :dry: In other words, it's a test free week of classes in which we all study our asses off and have no fun!

:horor:

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
A long time ago I had to get a load of bills to an ex-flatmate who had managed to get a room at the college. It was only ten minutes walk, so I thought I'd walk copies of the bills round and say hi. He'd never been particularly social, mostly prefering to lock himself away in his room - "studying" as he put it. When I got to the college, the security guys offered to show me to his quarters as it was difficult to find if you hadn't been before. I suspect they were under order to keep an eye on suspicious characters, as well. True enough, the room was a nightmare to find - up stairs and along, downstairs and right, then left then right. One of the guards had saw my ex-flatmate recently and the light from under the door suggested he was in. After knocking several times, with no reply, one of the guards got worried and warned that he was going to affect an entry. The door finally opened and my ex-flatmate appeared in a silk nightgown looking rather flustered and wearing pink lipstick. The two guards were horrified. I explained the purpose of the visit trying, but failing, to look unnerved. He hadn't at this point realised he'd forgotten about the lipstick... I assume he had tried frantically to get out of his "evening wear" but forgot the *slap* in the mad rush to get his stockings, etc, off. One of the sucurity guys said the bright pink colour "suited him", as I was leaving. Some more little bills arrived later, which he owed on. I put them in the post.

owarinoTenshi

MBTI Type
INTP
I had my share of occasional rough events during the first three years of school, but everything has really gone downhill since then.

I had a 3.7 at the end of my junior year. Last semester I got a 1.5. This semester, I have no idea what I'm going to get. I just know I failed two computer science classes (that I didn't actually need to take, but I took cause I was on scholarship and I was stupid), and got by with a D in my last required physics class.

The thing that really blows about it all is that I know it's not about ability. I had A's all the way through until halfway in the semester, when everything fell apart. I slept through my classes, I didn't turn in any of my projects or homework. It's really frustrating, not only because this isn't going to look good on a resume, but also because my parents bounce between being pissed off because they think I'm just slacking off or worried sick because they think I'm totally fucked up.

The only redeeming thing is that I got an A out of a psychology class (a junior level cognition course I took for fun, even though I've never taken any psychology ever before) although I think I was just lucky that it was easy as hell.

The last thing I have to do now to graduate is finish (and by that I mean start and finish) the research project I was supposed to have started two years ago but that I've been procrastinating. It's going to suck unless I can somehow come up with my own original physics project because the one I've been working on with my advisor sucks. I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

Sorry for the rant. I haven't been feeling so well lately..