User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

The kicker about freshman seminars is that you can take them your last semester in college, thereby eliminating any point that they supposedly have. I know people who have transferred multiple times and had to take another freshman seminar at each college.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure Carolina has them- I never actually had to take one there, I just audited the one at the college near my house when I was doing homeschool-on-paper. I went to jr. college and transferred to Carolina as a junior, and it never came up. I know incoming freshmen are supposed to read a book that is chosen every year and attend some discussion groups or something.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

The thing I hated about it was, hey I am PAYING for this both my money and my time, (earned back then at 3.50 an hour) why should I take more of your freaking, useless classes that are never going to count to my major? Student success and stuff like that! Grrrh! They also were going to make me wait around a whole day and have someone hold my hand picking out classes.

I left and went over the other university and found I could still register and picked out my own schedule and no useless seminiars.

Of course when I moved to CA, they rejected many classes I had taken in TX and required me to take all these other classes that did not relate to my major, like ethinic studies, cultural studies, etc. It added an entire other semester onto my load. Grrh!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Isn't college (undergrad) at least somewhat about taking classes that don't count for your major? That seems like part of the point of a liberal education.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The thing I hated about it was, hey I am PAYING for this both my money and my time, (earned back then at 3.50 an hour) why should I take more of your freaking, useless classes that are never going to count to my major?
    The exact reason why I hate it when professors take attendance and make it part of the grade. If I choose to not come to class and learn that is my prerogative.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Isn't college (undergrad) at least somewhat about taking classes that don't count for your major? That seems like part of the point of a liberal education.
    When you move from college to college and state to state those classes tend to stack up like cord wood. Each one has persnickety standards and won't take the other's class. Some educations end up a lot more "liberal" than the person standing right next to them in line. Tacking 24 credit hours of extra classes which are repeats to others one has already taken at other colleges in all but name and course number onto the end of one's senior year seemed a bit much.

EDIT: I understood that they wanted me to take a certain number of hours at their school in order to say I graduated from there, but I could not understand why I needed to repeat classes I already had just because... If I had to take additional credit hours to meet their standards, I would have preferred to take something new, something of USE to me rather than something I already been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    The exact reason why I hate it when professors take attendance and make it part of the grade. If I choose to not come to class and learn that is my prerogative.
    Yes, I totally agree! I remember skipping class to stay home and study for a test. Some people don't have a lot of time, especially if they work.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post

Grade me on my work please, not the amount of time or effort I happened to spend, or not spend, on producing it.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Getting kicked out of an apartment. (I was going through a period of having a bad temper and getting frustrated easily, and enough yelling happened that i got kicked out.)

Having the research not go anywhere last summer, and getting told to just not show up anymore.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's excellent news!! I'm not surprised, though. I think most profs who aren't total dicks will be reasonable about these things, especially if it's an isolated thing. I had to suck it up and beg for mercy a few times myself (once when my mom was in the hospital having my little sister, who is 17 years younger than me, but usually not for nearly that good an excuse). I can't remember a professor ever NOT making some kind of exception, even if I lost a few points on the test or paper for doing it late.
    Great news, Mempy! Your letter was very compelling.

Ivy's right - in general, profs aren't like John Housman in The Paper Chase.

OK, my horror story. When I was a senior, I took a fascinating class in Neuropsychology at the VA Hospital in Boston. On the afternoon of our final, a bomb threat was announced at all Federal buildings, so our prof led us to the Boston Public Library. In the middle of the exam, a bomb threat was called in and we had to evacuate that building, too.

The professor was at a loss and finally decided we should all troop over to his apartment. By this time, it was early evening, and most of us were tired, hungry and frazzled; he had a date, so he left us in his apt. to finish the test on the honor system. I assume the tests were graded on a very high curve, as I barely passed, but at least one person wasn't thrown off by hunger, fatigue and two bomb threats.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Worst Undergrad Experience:

I was taking a fencing class. My usual partner was a friend of mine. He is left handed, I am right handed. We discovered that with off-handed people roughly equally skilled at fencing, a very common outcome of the match is that both fencers scored fatal strikes simultaneously. From an ego point of view, this made the sport suck for us. I mean, we were friends. I wanted to pwn this dude.

Then we switched partners. I ended up being partnered with some girl. When we were fencing, the tip of my foil slipped between her chest armor and her face guard. Basically, I accidentally stabbed her in the throat. I was horrified. I felt embarrassed, intensely guilty, and she looked pretty badly hurt. Choking, clutching her throat, etc. Our equipment was crappy, so my foil didn't have a very good guard on the tip of it.

She looked verklempt and she asked to go sit down. I ended up getting partnered with someone else, but I was shaken and I sucked at fencing the rest of the class.

After class, I followed her out, still concerned and feeling guilty. She perked right up. She was all like:

"Oh, no. I'm totally fine! I just wanted an excuse to sit out the rest of the class. Sorry if you were worried."

I thought maybe she was just saying that to spare my feelings? She invited me to come back to her dorm with her. We hung out for a little while, and she sat on her bed in a kind of inviting "come hither" way. I didn't know what to make of that, I was still too confused. I awkwardly excused myself.