• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

First publication (sorta)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
A lot of you may not know this but I'm a masters student in philosophy. My supervisor is writing a paper for Oxford University Press and wants to use some of my ideas! It would be a jointly authored paper, but he's writing all of it (I'm assuming the other author is me lol). First publication? Close enough!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
congrats! make sure that you are actually an author on the paper if he's using your ideas. People do get screwed, unfortunately.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get in there and work with the primary author as much as possible. Not only will you be less likely to be left off the paper, but you will learn a tremendous amount about the process which will make it a lot less intimidating when you set out to be the principle author on your own pubs later.
Congratulations on your first publication, if they are using your ideas and your name is on it - it counts!

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Get in there and work with the primary author as much as possible. Not only will you be less likely to be left off the paper, but you will learn a tremendous amount about the process which will make it a lot less intimidating when you set out to be the principle author on your own pubs later.
Congratulations on your first publication, if they are using your ideas and your name is on it - it counts!

I do agree, but the problem is that it's immensely difficult to get published in philosophy. The best journals have like a 95% rejection rate. Even if it's accepted, you'll usually have to change heaps of it and wait for years (literally). For now, I'm very happy to have my supervisor even mention my thesis in writing. Being called a co-author is amazing. He didn't need to do that, he could've just written the paper and just referenced me. I'm just really thankful.

Thanks guys.