User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

If I'm on my death bed looking back and I decide that couldn't do better I've succeded.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Career-wise, I'll be happy when I find a job that:

-pays well enough to keep me comfortable
    -is stable enough that I'm not stressed about it
    -is variable enough that I don't get bored
    -is intellectually challenging/interesting enough that I don't get bored

It's also important to me that my actions will be meaningful to someone and that my work will go to accomplish something, but that's less under my control. It would also be nice to have a boss that gives me desired outcomes and lets me achieve them however I want, but again, that's not really under my control.
    Yeah I agree completely with these
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    GONE

In answer to this question, I would like to quote one of my favorite songs EVA --

Well, now give me money, (That's what I want)
    A lotta money, (That's what I want)
    Oh yeah, I wanna be free, (That's what I want)
    Oh, lotta money, (That's what I want)
    That's what I want (That's what I want) yeah,
    That's what I want.

I'll think of a deeper answer that looks better on my b-school applications in the morning.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA --> You know it's true. Don't even look at me like that.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    In answer to this question, I would like to quote one of my favorite songs EVA --

Well, now give me money, (That's what I want)
    A lotta money, (That's what I want)
    Oh yeah, I wanna be free, (That's what I want)
    Oh, lotta money, (That's what I want)
    That's what I want (That's what I want) yeah,
    That's what I want.

I'll think of a deeper answer that looks better on my b-school applications in the morning.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA --> You know it's true. Don't even look at me like that.
    For me, money is not that high on the list. I could have more money by changing/progressing my career, but choose not to, at present, because other factors are more important (home/work life balance, for one).

Not that "more money" doesn't give me a HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA moment just once in a while.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

If we define career as a deliberately planned machine, a means of securing and improving our material needs, then success may be simply defined as maximizing remuneration to the greatest extent possible with the tools at hand. The wealth generated allows us to realize personal needs and goals beyond subsistence.

I do not mean to imply a simply mercenary aspect in this description, altruistic goals can also be indulged either through your career choice directly, or through the resources that it can generate. Perhaps a successful career is one that enables choices (free time, security) and does not dominate our personal lives.

If we are discussing a vocation, something we are compelled to do for whatever reason, success may be defined differently. As part of a continuing craft tradition, I am constantly learning from the past to preserve and develop knowledge. Hand-in-hand with this is the obligation to share what I have gathered with others; I am a custodian of my craft, I am a temporary vehicle for knowledge and skills that need to be handed off carefully as they were imparted to me. There is a further obligation to the careful utilization of the raw materials needed for my work, in terms of extraction, use and disposal. If things go well my craft will reward me with what I consider a decent living. If things turn sour, then it is best that I bow out of the arena rather than do work that might demean or cheat craft standards. Vocation is a tricky path to navigate not the least for a partner or children of those who choose it. There can certainly be a lot of personal satisfaction, without the usual socially accepted hallmarks of "success".
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INTP

When I was in the military, success meant regular promotions and lots of medals ... also been seen as tactically proficient with my unit (i.e. kicking butt on the battlefield, either in practice or reality). I also had to be in leadership positions with important titles, or actively seeking them out to be successful. That became more hollow and shallow to me over time.

In phase two of my life (post-military Corporate Amerika), success meant a big paycheck. The more money I made, the more successful I was ... or so I thought. The leadership postions became less and less important, to the point that I did not seek them out at all anymore.

In phase three (Corporate Amerika burnout), I started to value free time and interesting work more and more. The paycheck is still nice, as it enables me to do things I enjoy, but it is no longer the main measure of success. Title and position no longer mean anything to me either ... a very ironic change from the way I was in my 20's.

Wow, a lot of great posts.

I think Randomnity's post is closest to my current thinking.

I would like to define success in the ways that Edahn, Hirsch, and Nightning do, but it is somehow too vague for me right now.

I work in an industry where money is not much of an issue (though certainly not enough to retire already). If I learned to be more frugal, then I would be a lot more "free" in some financial sense (but then is the frugality itself a constraint on the freedom?)

Anyway, thanks for answering.

After watching a lecture/discussion by Peter Diamandis and George Zachary (audio linked in lectures thread in science section), I have been thinking about "passion" and where that comes from....
    perhaps another thread....
    perhaps in this section?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    JIxT

Success is the infinite stairwell. I have success when I surpass most of the population climbing or falling down the stairs AND when I get tired. Both conditions need to be filled.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.