User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 30

  1. #1
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default Joining a Think Tank

    I decided to not limit this to the ask an absolutely nutso madman ENTP thread.

    Does anyone know much about think tanks? I've done some research, but it seems the information about what they do eludes me. From what I know them, this sounds like an ideal position for me- using my knowledge in practical ways to solve big and small problems, while working with people in a creative environment. What's not to love?

    I have a feeling this thread may die very, very easily, but any information is better than no information.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  2. #2
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    What kind of think-tanks were thinking about joining, dealing with what kind of issues?

  3. #3
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    You need to first get a degree and try to get to know someone in research during your thesis. You might ask him how to apply. Oftentimes it can be done through university etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  4. #4
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What kind of think-tanks were thinking about joining, dealing with what kind of issues?
    Any kind. I don't know yet what I am majoring in. But whatever I study, I know I will excel in. Social and scientific issues interest me the most. I am really just a huge idea person, and I doubt I could really describe what my niche would be. But I bet there is one for someone like me.

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You need to first get a degree and try to get to know someone in research during your thesis. You might ask him how to apply. Oftentimes it can be done through university etc.
    Great, just great. This is yet another factor in where I got to college.

    /headdesk

    I need resources!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  5. #5
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What kind of think-tanks were thinking about joining, dealing with what kind of issues?
    Any kind. I don't know yet what I am majoring in. But whatever I study, I know I will excel in. Social and scientific issues interest me the most. I am really just a huge idea person, and I doubt I could really describe what my niche would be. But I bet there is one for someone like me.

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You need to first get a degree and try to get to know someone in research during your thesis. You might ask him how to apply. Oftentimes it can be done through university etc.
    Great, just great. This is yet another factor in where I got to college.

    /headdesk

    I need resources!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  6. #6
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    consider joining the circus instead. More interesting/less dogma.

  7. #7
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    I agree with nebbykoo about very little, but I do agree with him about this.

    I am rather familiar with them, and, I must say, they are like cults.

    That being said, I am forming my own think tank.

    If you'd like to join, feel free to pm me.

  8. #8
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Think tanks are generally a waste of time. Definately not NTP material. The idea of think tanks is pretty nice, but in practice it's just not what you'd imagine them to be. I've never been part of one myself, nor will ever be, but I've talked to some people who have in great detail. Even the ones enthusiastic about them basicly tell me they're just crap without realizing it themselves.

    I'm sure there are think tanks out there with fun, interesting, dedicated and smart people that could be interesting to join, but I've not heard of one yet.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I decided to not limit this to the ask an absolutely nutso madman ENTP thread.

    Does anyone know much about think tanks? I've done some research, but it seems the information about what they do eludes me. From what I know them, this sounds like an ideal position for me- using my knowledge in practical ways to solve big and small problems, while working with people in a creative environment. What's not to love?

    I have a feeling this thread may die very, very easily, but any information is better than no information.
    Think Tanks where the invention of rich sponsors who felt that universities where dens of commies. There entire history is one of trying to create counter evidence or policies for governments and encourage them to "think the unthinkable", as Hayek et al encouraged policy think tanks to do for governments like Thatcher's.

    Its a terrible thing when you consider that the universities are not really a den of alt agitators really.

  10. #10
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Think Tanks where the invention of rich sponsors who felt that universities where dens of commies.
    I can't speak for elsewhere, but in America they sure are.

    Much like journalists (93%), 90% of college professors vote for one party.

    And it sure ain't because that party's got a monopoly on truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There entire history is one of trying to create counter evidence or policies for governments and encourage them to "think the unthinkable", as Hayek et al encouraged policy think tanks to do for governments like Thatcher's.
    Apparently you've never heard of The Brookings Institution, The Center for American Progress, The Center for Economic and Policy Research, and the Economic Policy Institute?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its a terrible thing when you consider that the universities are not really a den of alt agitators really.
    Such a questionable claim you needed to use "really" twice.

    And mind you, this is coming from the person who used to have the Socialist Ten Commandments in his profile...

    Last edited by Zarathustra; 12-01-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Curing religious belief think-tank
    By EcK in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 12:24 PM
  2. Is language essential for rational thinking?
    By nightning in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM
  3. Thinking of joining the army
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 03:10 AM
  4. Thinking/Feeling game: Same Difference
    By rivercrow in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
  5. Join the STCHANTPAP
    By Ivy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 02:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO