User Tag List

First 234

Thread: College tips

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Cool, you're in Boston already! Yes, you can call or arrange a tour with a guide, or you can walk around by yourself, I suppose. Definitely visit and compare.

Transfer credits: Find out which school you want to transfer to, then cater to their transfer-credit policies. Transfer credits can be loopy. Good luck...

Shower sandals: Yes, you need them. Communal showering. I still got athlete's foot during sophomore year, which itched like you wouldn't believe.

Laundry bag: You need a laundry bag/bin/something to carry your clothes down to the laundry. (I guess you could use a really large shopping bag, depending on how big the loads are.) Where I went, each dorm building had laundry room on the ground floor. Something like that. So if your room's on the fifth floor...

Yes, I brought one of those fold-out, hammock chairs, too. Got a lot of use in college. Some of my dorm's desks had chairs that rocked a little, i.e. purposely made with a slightly slanted bottom. That was great.

I don't think you need a whole lot of stuff, but I'm semi-minimalist.

Micro-fridge in your room is really recommended, and my school even streamlined this process by delivering everyone's to their dorm first thing in the schoolyear if they had ordered one.

Favorite things about dorm-life: Feels like living in a hotel room, hehe. Fun setup. Walking to everywhere you need to go is great, as compared to living post-college, where I have to get in my car to get anywhere useful.

Least favorite things: Other people, basically. Showering with other people around, sleeping with other people around, eating with other people around, everything. For most of college, I had no roommates, but I was lucky in that regard.

You listed several different study-fields, and asked which one is "best." How are we to answer that for you? Are you interested in all of those fields?

School name does matter for either obtaining that first job, or building/finding connections for that internship. I feel there is not a huge, but still a significant, effect that the prestige has upon resumes. But is it worth the trade-off cost of tuition? Your financial decision...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    Birth control
    And by birth control, make sure at least one of those birth controls you have around is condoms.

Because there's nothing like graduating with a crotch full of herpes to make you wish you had had condoms!

Shower sandals is also a really good one.

Nothing like plantar warts to make you wish you had had shower sandals!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Are internships difficult to get? I am a freshman, so I doubt I have enough experience to out-test or out-perform a lot of other students. Especially in areas like engineering. I pick up math and methods reallllly quickly, but unfortunately it isn't like they have a test to prove that.
    Depends the school/area (took me about 2 yrs to land one). As Glycerine said connections and impressions help a lot. Sure experience counts, knowledge helps, but someone will eventually let you in if you're determined enough.

It also helps if you seek out both professors studying/doing research in areas that grab your attention during lecture as well as those that are tough graders in your courses. Tough graders (and profs with crazy low ratings on ratemyprofessor) don't have as many undergrads looking for a quick internship in my limited experience. Send out emails, drop in at office hours and so on, but start a little before you actually transfer.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Notes to Myself

First semester: A, A, A, C. The C is explainable. My teacher was unbelievably, unreasonably nitpicky. It is my fault for not researching first. I won't make the same mistake again. This semester, I am taking 6 classes. I am going to do as much work early on as I can. Hopefully my grades will look like A, A, A, A, A, A.

Not sure if I have fully decided on a college. I am looking at Berkley, and Harvey Mudd. Harvey Mudd really has my interest. I'm uncertain about what I wish to pursue, but it seems like science is going to be my path. I also love business, but I don't really want to major in it.

For now, my plan is do comm college another year, and transfer after I have money. My main objective is obtaining independence. I am thinking about getting an apartment in Raleigh next semester, but I need to find a roommate. No way can I afford that on my own.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I need a roommate. I should distribute MBTI tests No, I wouldn't do that.

I'm seriously considering Elon. I need a good school that I can reasonably afford. All the colleges that interest me are wicked expensive. Six courses this semester, online. I am going to make all A's.

I have already finished a semester's worth of assignments. In two days. Hopefully I can keep this ball rolling.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex