First 1234 Last

Thread: College tips

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I am also in the process of transferring from community college but I think I can answer some of these

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    1. What are things I should probably take with me when I am forced into a dorm? What shouldn't I take?
    Very basic living stuffs, plus a computer, phone (and stuff for coffee/tea of course )

What not to bring: bigger sort of items that the dorm already has, or that a roommate is bringing and is easily borrowable (things like tv, microwaves, refrigerators...). Also if you've ever been inside a dorm room you'll know not to bring a lot of stuff in general for obvious reasons...

2. Are there any colleges that don't force you to do a bunch of bullshit pointless work, or is that a requirement for it to be a college?
    Not sure. If you've already done some of the comm. college thing you might have already got some of the "pointless" work done. Best bet is to find an area of study where you can find a point to most of what you do, and the occasional things that seem pointless won't seem so bad.

3. Does it *really* matter where I go to college? Is there a point in me working to get into a school with a bunch of rich entitled kids who work way too hard?
    I don't think it does... potential exception is if you are already strongly set on a certain field and the school has a really good program in that field. Other than that, I don't see much of a point. The "smaller schools" seem to offer a better sense of flexibility and acknowledging your existence if you happen to need help with anything.

4. Major in engineering? Chemistry? Theoretical physics? What degrees are worth it?
    5. What happens if I decide I want to be a doctor?
    Not sure, I might get back to these...

6. Should I do a second year of comm college, or if I can get into, say, Boston University, should I go there? Should I not even bother with an up there public college? How am I supposed to pick a college I will be happy with?
    The second year can help a lot with transfer sometimes and with getting things out of the way when they are still relatively cheap.

Look around online at all sorts of colleges... including those that are lesser known and even those around the country. Once you've narrowed it down to a few there's usually tons of information online that can give you a sense of whether the school will work for you.

Do credits normally transfer easily? What are the sort of credits that don't transfer easily?
    I can't say for sure with the out of state credit transfer systems. I know in California there is a very clear and easy system set up for community college students to transfer to universities within the state. I don't know how this goes across the country though .... I would ask a school counselor.

Is it good to live in a dorm? A lot of people I know hate it. What is to hate? What is to love?
    Can't say for sure yet on the specifics but it does seem like more of a pain to live off a university campus... figuring out the whole living away thing and commuting can be a nightmare with some places.

I also don't know where I want to go to college still- as far as what area. Boston really appeals to me, but I am considering the west coast. I like the outdoors there.
    West Coast Yes, we do have good outdoors.... I suggest continued consideration at least and I can tell you about some of the schools here /bias

Glycerine

+rice cooker with a steamer= easy to make meals.

Glycerine

Thank you @Patches. I didn't really think about splitting up my classes like that. Now I just have to figure out how to divide my classes up. So maybe I should take science classes which both appeal to me and could be used for the MCAT?

Do credits normally transfer easily? What are the sort of credits that don't transfer easily?

Is it good to live in a dorm? A lot of people I know hate it. What is to hate? What is to love?

Definitely got to get a coffee maker.

My personal list consists of:

1. Coffee maker
    2. Game systems/small tv so I can be greedy (I am a huge video game nerd).
    3. Laptop/printer

I also don't know where I want to go to college still- as far as what area. Boston really appeals to me, but I am considering the west coast. I like the outdoors there.
    Classes that are universal tend to transfer the easiest like Brit lit. Classes that are obscure or specialized do not tend to transfer well like a class on Washington State Authors unless the community college has a special agreement with the university. The more competitive the uni is, the pickier they will be about the transferability.

Dorms, it really depends on the roommates.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Aren't you only 17 or something? How the hell are you already escaping community college?
    I'm smart. Graduated a year early.

@EJCC: thank you as well! What is a Kinko's? And if you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school? When you put it that way- that kids at state schools seem entitled as well- I understand where you are coming from. It was that way at my high school. And I realize- I doubt I like that anymore than the rich kind of entitled. Or whatever.

1. Coffee maker
    3. Laptop/printer (maybe not printer
    4. Electric tea kettle
    5. A mini-fridge, microwave, eatingware
    6. Comfy chair

We are the same person. Seriously. I was considering getting a really awesome chair to chill in.

@LunaLuminosity: tell me more about the schools. There is a theoretical physics teacher named Alex Fillippenko who would be cool to take classes under at Berkley. I am interested in Seattle, Oregon and...well, of course California. I don't know anything really about the west coast though. Feel free to inform me

So now I must decide- should I save some of the gen ed classes for when I get into a bigger college, or should I continue taking gen ed classes knowing they are more likely to transfer?

1. Coffee maker
    4. Electric tea kettle
    6. Comfy chair
    7. Rice cooker w/ steamer

@Glycerine great idea. I love rice and think I really could live off of it.

I really want to not have that college diet of junk and junk. I want good stuff, damn it!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Ah, I see. Anyway, it's great to have you back posting regularly, or at least it seems that you are.

1. I would definitely take a fan with you - the heat in dorms can sometimes be quite funky so it will keep you cool when you want to sleep. Also, there is no great way to dry your towels in a cramped dorm room so I always drape mine over my desk chair and then use the fan to dry it. When living in close quarters with people courtesy is always great and you don't want to be known as the guy with the smelly room. Other than that I would probably bring multiple pairs of earphones (the ear buds always get lost), maybe a portable external hard drive to back up all you files on, and clothes for all weather. Idk where you are from but my Indian friend (just off the boat) had to buy winter clothes last year b/c he didn't have any.

2. I think pretty all colleges require some general education requirements. And then there are all the prerequisite courses you have to take to be able to take the higher level courses.

3. Mostly I think college is for the title, so the better the school the better the title.

4. Hmm engineering is great if you want your whole plan of study to be set in stone for you. Idk, my ISTJ friend likes it because he always gets into the classes he needs because all the engineering students are required to take certain classes at certain times.

6. All of these decisions are really up to you but there are better colleges than BU. My dad used to teach a couple of courses there and he said the education isn't too great for how ridiculously expensive it is. I'd visit a handful of schools to see how you like it. The best advice will be to really force yourself to interact with a lot of people once you actually get there. I mean most people are friendly and everyone is looking to make friends so its pretty easy to meet people.

Anyway, good luck! I guess the most important thing would be to do what you like and try to find a place that seems right for you.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

EJCC: thank you as well! What is a Kinko's?
    What is a Kinko's????????? Wow, I feel old It's FedEx Office now, but it used to be called Kinko's Copies.
    And if you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school?
    I'd rather not say -- but it's at about the same prestige level as BU. Well, maybe more along the lines of Notre Dame or Duke. Same kind of old-money situation, and going to the school for the name (while at the same time having probably been rejected by an Ivy somewhere in the application process).
    When you put it that way- that kids at state schools seem entitled as well- I understand where you are coming from. It was that way at my high school. And I realize- I doubt I like that anymore than the rich kind of entitled. Or whatever.
    A lot of people hate the rich-kid entitlement at my school. But then again, most of them haven't experienced state colleges, community colleges, or high schools that weren't either boarding schools, catholic private schools, or both.
    1. Coffee maker
    4. Electric tea kettle
    6. Comfy chair

We are the same person. Seriously. I was considering getting a really awesome chair to chill in.

I am considering getting a comfy chair for next year. I'm in an apartment now, but it's back to the dorms with me next fall, most likely -- and I'll want something to make it seem like I'm in a tiny apartment. I'm considering a bean bag chair, or one of those giant pillows that doubles as a chair. Whatever those are called!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet:

Shower sandals. Absolutely a necessity, depending on your living arrangements. A minifridge is probably the best investment with a microwave falling behind, assuming you own a computer.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTP

Experiment

1. What are things I should probably take with me when I am forced into a dorm? What shouldn't I take?

It has been too long since I lived in dorms to give specifics, but the general principles are to take as little as possible while being comfortable, and coordinating with you roommates/suitemates/flatemates.

2. Are there any colleges that don't force you to do a bunch of bullshit pointless work, or is that a requirement for it to be a college?

You will never be free of "bullshit pointless work" but you can try your best to chose courses that don't seem like bullshit. There is often a lot of choice in what you can take. Find out as much about a courses and professors as possible, and choose the one that suite your style and interest. I was quite happy with the general education courses I took. English literature was a course that was outside my norm, but I found out one of the professors was teaching the course with a theme for all the literature in the course, and the theme was the holocaust and its survivors. I thoroughly enjoyed that class.

3. Does it *really* matter where I go to college? Is there a point in me working to get into a school with a bunch of rich entitled kids who work way too hard?

The school you go to matters for somethings. You have more interesting options for courses at schools that are on the cutting edge of research in your field of interest. Some skills have good brands and networks and can aid you greatly in landing your first job. If you are interested in science, I would say going to a research university is a huge plus. If you graduate undegrad with research, and perhaps even a publication, you are in much better shape to get fellowships for grad school.

As far as "entitled kids who work way too hard", I think you are mixing up concepts. A sense of entitlement is believing you deserve something without earning it. Working hard is one way of earning things. While free time, play, socialization, and so on are important, you cannot be afraid of hard work.

4. Major in engineering? Chemistry? Theoretical physics? What degrees are worth it?

As far as job markets go, there are many fields that are expected to grow. You can do your own research on BLS.gov. All I know is, everyone I knew who did something software related got a job even in 2000 right after the dot com bust. Predicted growth areas now are in biotech and health related professions.

5. What happens if I decide I want to be a doctor?

You then try to get into a pre-med (or a close to it as possible) program at your school. My sister didn't decide for a while, and did fine (she is in her third year of residency now). The idea is to maximize your scores on the relevant tests while
    keeping your grades as high as possible.

6. Should I do a second year of comm college, or if I can get into, say, Boston University, should I go there? Should I not even bother with an up there public college? How am I supposed to pick a college I will be happy with?
    This is a difficult choice. Second year of community college is cheaper. But if you get a good enough scholarship to Boston University or wherever you decide, the point is moot.

Picking a college is all about "fit". I would never accept a college admission without visiting there (preferably during typical school days). Visit the school, talk to students and faculty, drop in on some classes, and get a feel for how your life would be like when actually there. Sometimes a less prestigious school is a better choice if the "fit" seems better. I decided against going to a particular school because the faculty seemed accessible. I decided against going to other schools because I didn't like their vision of where the field was going.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield