User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Workload Woes

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Hahaha. Idiot. You think I want to add to it?! Describing the workload would be boring and stuffy. Get outta here. Besides, the question isn't about my workload, it's about my post-college finances.
    Excuse me for thinking the title had something to do with the thread.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Excuse me for thinking the title had something to do with the thread.
    Yeah, I noticed that myself. So... SIGH. I guess. Why should I exempt you from paying for my mistakes? Since when do we hold ourselves to those standards, you bastard?
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

heart on fire

Are you skimming? In many classes you can get by with skimming what you are expected to read.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

A 4.0 is a perfect A+ for you guys, isn't it? To be getting that you've gotta be working insanely hard. If it's stressing you out maybe you should consider, you know, not working as hard. I bet you could keep yourself at an A average with way less effort, and nobody's going to fault you for marks like that. What's your program anyway? I've never found 12 credit hours to be excessive, but I'm not really an overachiever, either....I wish I had your problem, I have trouble motivating myself to work hard enough.

No, I can't. Believe me when I say that I put in the minimal amount of effort it takes to get the A that I usually pursue. But I hate the workload, Heart, and that's all there is to it. I don't want to do loopty-lupes or break my neck to make it in this world if I can avoid it.

Hmm. A change of title is probably called for, but my first thought was that I couldn't think of a title that dealt with finances that wasn't boring. Hmm. "Post-College Finances" sounds boring. Does it mean the thread has failed when you're asking for input as to what the title should be?
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INFP

I'm doing 20 credit hours this quarter.

I enjoy the workload..

It's really hard to maintain that high a GPA. Some of my friends did it.

But dropping to a 3.8, won't kill you will it? Or, horrors, a B+ (3.6?) average?

What are you academic goals? Grad school? Getting a high paying job? Or just gaining an education?

I wasn't very clear on my goals. Initially, I just said I am gonna get my degrees and head directly work, because I was sick of school. Then I found out I wanted to do Research & Development, and that not all engineering jobs are like "inventing." It seems a phD, or at least an M.S. is needed in most R&D positions (that aren't just "R&D" in name only).

If you plan to be in acdamia for a while, then maybe it is better to drop a class, to keep doing well (from what I hear, Grad schools really like High GPAs and GRE scores). But losing a scholarship may mean you have to work-longer hours to pay for school, anyway.

If that is the case, then there seems to be hard criteria for sticking with 12 credits. Maybe you can purposely choose an easy class in the mix.

IDK. Not really a good person to give advice.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Mempysian, I've been reading your post more than once, and I'm not actually certain what your question is:

1: Dropping classes because you cannot cope with 6 hours a week workload (can't be right, because once you start work, it is at least a 50 hour week?)
    2: How to finance the 2,000 shortfall should you drop a class and lose the scholarship? (part time work ideas?)
    3. Just a rant and we're supposed to just listen and offer and *pats*? ()
    4. Existential angst in general. (in which case, take a walk, do some activities)
    5. Asking for suggestions how to cope with studying when you don't feel like doing it.
    6. Asking for suggestions how to manage expectations?
    7. Asking for a fairy godmother to wave a wand and ensure you don't have to work or worry about grades anymore? (in which case, please take a queue number, I ordered mine in Sept 1991 and she still hasn't arrived).

what is your question?

Edit: Is a 4.0 GPA out of 5, or out of 4?

heart on fire

Well, first off, after I have a vent out like this about some catch 22 situation, I usually wake up the next day with renewed energy to keep on facing the same frustrations, so if that is the case, nevermind...

EDIT: The world is full of pompous ass queens. You may as well get used to them now.

You might check out EyeQ fast reading software and train yourself to read extra fast.

if you withdraw, you would still be considered full-time. or, you could take an F.