• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What skills to learn in 2 years max?Experience with online job?

Chloe

What skills to learn that will pay in 2 years max AND can be done as freelance business, because I am a full time psychology student and I can not work more than 15 hours per week.

What are my strong points;

very strong ;

mathematics and everything related to it. I used to learn a bit of programming in HS and was good, but I had no interest.
against;
1)I am not very interested/passionate about such stuff, except for the period when it is fun and new.
2) I am kind of patient-less when it comes to dealing with computers. :unsure: nothing ever works. you need to install something always...and then again and again... it's frustrating.

possible things to try learning: web design, programming. dunno. :unsure:

translation I am already translating from English to Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian/Slovenian, but the payment is too low, if you're not certified, and I cant get certificate without MS in English, i think, so.. doubt it could last.

article writing - I have huge knowledge of medicine so I was writing some articles about it. The pay is also too low, except if you write them in English, which I doubt I will be able to do professionally even if I spend 2 years learning English. :unsure:

coaching :D - this seems like the easiest way to get money. Investing 3000 USD to get certificate and then you can do it even legally. (though there is a black market here so you can just be self-proclaimed shrink and there is no law against that. :shrug:)
against;
Of course I dont feel really competent for this, and I doubt 90% of them are. They are usually charlatans and if I am not 100% convinced that I know what I am doing I would hesitate to do it. So, this is off. :unsure:

- I'd be more than happy if I could have it like this;
at least $10/hr
up to 15 hours per week
online/on computer

I used to work in Call Centers but the payment is ridiculous ($2-3/hr) and I cant imagine doing it for the next 5 years while studying (Ms), so I need to set some long term - 2yr- plan.
:unsure::shrug::doh:

If it isn't clear from the post: point is; in my country, croatia, i cant find job above $3/hr, so i want to find something online.
:dry:
I heard not so well, and not so bad, things about Elance, I got some jobs there, but I see that only for translations and medical writing, i can't get the $10/hr

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi Chloe,

It's nice to see you around! :hifive:
I know how you feel.
I've been working for 17 years now professionally.
I got an entry level job in the software development industry when I was 20 (and had dropped out of a Bachelors of Science in Biology program) and stuck with it, doing various jobs as time passed and project needs changed, for 10 years.
Like you, I never really had any "passion" for software in and of itself, or really "working" on computers in general.
Where I did find my passion was as an instructor.
I was asked to write all the user manulas and administrator manuals for a large, custom system my company built for a government agency.

I found out the following:
(1) I liked writing professional, technical documents.
(2) I liked teaching classes of 10 - 50 people at a time how to use the system and answer their questions.

THEN...

I got entrepeneurial.
I wrote my own user manuals for MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Access.
I went to a local computer shop that had a classroom and told them that I'd teach classes on the 4 core MS Office products at their classroom, in a 8 housr format (3 hrs. class in the AM w/ a 30 min break, 1 hour lunch, then 3 hrs. class in the AM w/ a 30 min break).
We charged $100 per person, and would not run a class unless we had 4 people or more.
The classroom held up to 10 people.
I kept half the money, they kept half the money.
So, in a day, I could make between $200 and $500.
It was a great little business.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
I've also worked as a personal trainer.
If you're fit, you don't have to be certified, just patien and helpful to your clients and in the U.S. you can get $35-$75 per hour depending on what gym you work at.
If you train people at their homes you can charge $50 per hour because you are not splitting anything with a gym.
Only consider this if you like fitness and know what you are doing though, you don't want to hurt anyone.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
As far as freelance web based work that you can learn and do for 2 years.
Seems to me like (1) Web site design, and (2) Simple database functionality (to add functionality to the websites, maybe for basic sales/data collection purposes) are your two best things to focus on.
It takes up to 5 years to be a good C# or ASP.NET programmer. Like you mentioned, it changes everyday, so you have to keep on top of it.
If you want to read a great book on creating simple web applications that will sell and make money, and also create it with a free, open source tool kit (Ruby On Rails) then go to:

www.37signals.com

...and then read about their book "Getting Real" here:

http://gettingreal.37signals.com/

...and then read it for FREE here:

http://gettingreal.37signals.com/toc.php

Here's info about "Ruby On Rails":

http://rubyonrails.org/

I hope this info is helpful for you.

Good luck!

:solidarity:

-Alex

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The sister of my gf worked for a sex hotline during her studies. Paid off quite good

Chloe

Hi Chloe,

It's nice to see you around! :hifive:

hi :hifive:

good old Halla, you're always the most helpful. :)
I've been working for 17 years now professionally.
I got an entry level job in the software development industry when I was 20 (and had dropped out of a Bachelors of Science in Biology program) and stuck with it, doing various jobs as time passed and project needs changed, for 10 years.
Like you, I never really had any "passion" for software in and of itself, or really "working" on computers in general.
Where I did find my passion was as an instructor.
I was asked to write all the user manulas and administrator manuals for a large, custom system my company built for a government agency.

I found out the following:
(1) I liked writing professional, technical documents.
(2) I liked teaching classes of 10 - 50 people at a time how to use the system and answer their questions.

THEN...

I got entrepeneurial.
I wrote my own user manuals for MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Access.
I went to a local computer shop that had a classroom and told them that I'd teach classes on the 4 core MS Office products at their classroom, in a 8 housr format (3 hrs. class in the AM w/ a 30 min break, 1 hour lunch, then 3 hrs. class in the AM w/ a 30 min break).
We charged $100 per person, and would not run a class unless we had 4 people or more.
The classroom held up to 10 people.
I kept half the money, they kept half the money.
So, in a day, I could make between $200 and $500.
It was a great little business.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
I've also worked as a personal trainer.
If you're fit, you don't have to be certified, just patien and helpful to your clients and in the U.S. you can get $35-$75 per hour depending on what gym you work at.
If you train people at their homes you can charge $50 per hour because you are not splitting anything with a gym.
Only consider this if you like fitness and know what you are doing though, you don't want to hurt anyone.

Even if I was - and I am not sportish at all - I couldnt charge much in Croatia.

This is the reason why I am searching for online freelance thing because hourly rate in USA/UK is bigger than here, so that way I can get acceptable for my needs charge of $10/hr.

I am already teaching math - usually charging 8$/hr but there is not enough job to do that or to rely on that.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
As far as freelance web based work that you can learn and do for 2 years.
Seems to me like (1) Web site design, and (2) Simple database functionality (to add functionality to the websites, maybe for basic sales/data collection purposes) are your two best things to focus on.
It takes up to 5 years to be a good C# or ASP.NET programmer. Like you mentioned, it changes everyday, so you have to keep on top of it.
If you want to read a great book on creating simple web applications that will sell and make money, and also create it with a free, open source tool kit (Ruby On Rails) then go to:

www.37signals.com

...and then read about their book "Getting Real" here:

http://gettingreal.37signals.com/

...and then read it for FREE here:

http://gettingreal.37signals.com/toc.php

Here's info about "Ruby On Rails":

http://rubyonrails.org/

I hope this info is helpful for you.

Good luck!

:solidarity:

-Alex

Thanks ! I will check that out! :)

The sister of my gf worked for a sex hotline during her studies. Paid off quite good

yeah, that is the easiest way.. but imagine doing that for a few years? i think that's traumatizing.:shrug: