User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

I stopped out for a few years halfway through because of a lack of clarity, and returned at 24. I was so much more focused when I went back, and I think I got a lot more out of it. I wasn't into the social scene as much, tho, which can be a drawback, but that might be why I learned more. 14 years later, I'm ready to go back for second degree in an entirely different field. College is what you make of it.

MBTI
    INxJ

I originally went to college at 15, burned out after 2 years, and went back starting last year. I'm 24 now. My early college experience probably isn't as relatable. Though, I can say that the going back part is. Students right out of high school lack experiences which they generally hope to obtain while in college years. Thus, their focus might not be as focused as someone that has already lived a bit.

I am focused because I have more life experience. Going back later is generally positive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I originally went to college at 15, burned out after 2 years, and went back starting last year. I'm 24 now. My early college experience probably isn't as relatable. Though, I can say that the going back part is. Students right out of high school lack experiences which they generally hope to obtain while in college years. Thus, their focus might not be as focused as someone that has already lived a bit.

I am focused because I have more life experience. Going back later is generally positive.
    I agree with that. I didn't go to college straight after graduating from high school. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. There were too many choices.

I'm now in college- at the ripe old age of 26- and am doing well. I know myself a bit better than straight from hs and I can see a path of where I want to go. It's a slow and arduous journey at this point, but I am getting there.
    I have no idea who I am. All I can say is let's rock hard.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I plan on becoming rich at most at 28, so that I can go back to college to study physics.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ

Waiting for whatever reason can be an advantage; going back after you've worked or taken a break allows you the space to figure out why you want to be there. My son is a sophomore and seems to be going through the motions in a lot of his coursework. He's not focused. College is about exploring choices and being exposed to many subjects, but ideally it's also about getting the most out of it.

I know you're mostly talking about college, not grad school, but I certainly wasn't prepared for more school right after college. Now I know what I want to accomplish, I'm working hard and learning is exciting and fulfilling.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I don't say this as a "mature age" student, I say this as someone who's taught "mature age" students who are older than me: They are a whole lot more focussed and interested than the typical undergrad. They also try a lot harder, and are (IMHO) more interesting because they talk about things other than the party that they just attended last night and how hungover they are today. They also have a lot more perspective on the material, seeing it as less something to be memorised and more to be understood and put into practice.