• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jobs in the US for 3 months...15$/hr... are ???

Chloe

I am planning to go to work in US next summer for 3 months in CCUSA programme, that many people from Europe (and other countries ) go... I plan to go in individual option, so going and finding job, instead of getting job as camp counselour because i hear those are payed terribly and you get to live in a camp which i dont like i think

so, my question is - how hard it is to find a job in the US as someone who doesnt have many skills that are not academic... i mean, i hear people mostly get around 10$/hr for student jobs like busser at the restaurants and like.

So... what skills, that can be mastered in 6-9 months, could get me a job for 3 months and be payed 15$/hr, if any ?

Because I was thinking if i can learn something here - like take graphic design, photography, dont know, course which is certified, - and with it get better hourly rate.. i'd do it...

so..what kind of jobs pay 15$/hr or more, but for only period of 3 months? :unsure:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't know, being a stripper maybe?

:unsure:

EDIT: I just realized this is probably especially creepy coming from the guy with the pedophile beard avatar. You're not underage are you?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on your morals.

Seriously though, your age will make a difference as to which jobs you can get. We are also in a deep recession heading toward depression (that our government denies). There are many people looking for jobs so it may be difficult finding one that pays well when they know you are short time and their are long term employees with qualifications begging to be hired. If you have an accent and are 21 and I am guessing female, you could get a job tending a bar. The pay is good to very good depending on the bar and the location. What state will you be staying in? If you have contacts in that state see if they know anybody hiring. Often, short term jobs are found by word of mouth and are a product of knowing the right people.
What academic skills are you alluding to? Could you find a paid research position or a grant or similar? Might not leave you a lot of time to sightsee however.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's quite a bit outside of jobs requiring considerable education.

Chloe

Depends on your morals.

Seriously though, your age will make a difference as to which jobs you can get. We are also in a deep recession heading toward depression (that our government denies). There are many people looking for jobs so it may be difficult finding one that pays well when they know you are short time and their are long term employees with qualifications begging to be hired. If you have an accent and are 21 and I am guessing female, you could get a job tending a bar. The pay is good to very good depending on the bar and the location. What state will you be staying in? If you have contacts in that state see if they know anybody hiring. Often, short term jobs are found by word of mouth and are a product of knowing the right people.
What academic skills are you alluding to? Could you find a paid research position or a grant or similar? Might not leave you a lot of time to sightsee however.

Thanks. so.. what kind of jobs are paid 15$/hr?

all my academic skills aren't for use - i assure you...

i dont know where would i go, i would go with friends, i have only relatives in South Carolina and I am not really attracted to go there. ;)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unless you have some kind of higher education or marketable skill like welding, I would count on working at a bar and/or restaurant.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unless you have some kind of higher education or marketable skill like welding, I would count on working at a bar and/or restaurant.

You can approach or even exceed $15/hour doing that. But that comes from tips.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is it that bad there in the US? is 15$/hr really... that big ? :dry:

No, $15 is achievable but may be difficult to find in short-term employment. The problem will be the job market is pretty bleak right now.
I would suggest working hard and saving as much as you can until next summer so you can afford to look at a broader range of jobs in the US and perhaps work less and travel and see more of the country while you are here. What country is home for you and is your english fluent?

Chloe

No, $15 is achievable but may be difficult to find in short-term employment. The problem will be the job market is pretty bleak right now.
I would suggest working hard and saving as much as you can until next summer so you can afford to look at a broader range of jobs in the US and perhaps work less and travel and see more of the country while you are here.

thanks.

What country is home for you and is your english fluent?

I am from Croatia. My english - i dont know, i am not used talking in english, but i guess in 2-3 weeks i'd adapt. I can practice until then.
And, as I've said, I have no problem with spending next 6-9 months learning something that will open more jobs for me. i am extremely fast learner - but I need to know what to pick.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Absolutely. Especially if you're attractive, you really don't need very much skill to make pretty good money (as a female).

This was my point as well. Croatian, attractive, smiling and pouring drinks. Not only are the tips great but managers love to hire women that make men want to buy more alcohol.

Reality is sexist.

Chloe

This was my point as well. Croatian, attractive, smiling and pouring drinks. Not only are the tips great but managers love to hire women that make men want to buy more alcohol.

Reality is sexist.

umm, so how much they earn like that?

i am surprised that most people i talked with who have been with CCUSA, were earning about 10 USD, and most of them were working as bussers, and life guards. something like that. :shrug:

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks.

I am from Croatia. My english - i dont know, i am not used talking in english, but i guess in 2-3 weeks i'd adapt. I can practice until then.
And, as I've said, I have no problem with spending next 6-9 months learning something that will open more jobs for me. i am extremely fast learner - but I need to know what to pick.

Here you go Chloe - http://www.amazon.com/Work-Your-Around-World-13th/dp/1854583670
This book was a big help to me when I was living in Ireland.
If you have friends here which it seemed like you implied that you did, get as much local information from them as you can. They will be invaluable for you in securing a place to stay and a place to work.

Chloe

i have relatives in south carolina but i really dont want to go there.. i prefer california and close to nyc, because i dont want to be bored... thanks, i'll check the book :)

Chloe

actually my relatives are in Charlotte.. dont know that's maybe NC not SC - So close to you, earthtrekker i guess

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
umm, so how much they earn like that?

i am surprised that most people i talked with who have been with CCUSA, were earning about 10 USD, and most of them were working as bussers, and life guards. something like that. :shrug:

My guess would be 7-15 per hour wages and lots of tips on top of that. Don't count on getting a job with any benefits as most that offer them will likely not hire short term employees.