User Tag List

123 Last

Default Jobs in the US for 3 months...15$/hr... are ???

I am planning to go to work in US next summer for 3 months in CCUSA programme, that many people from Europe (and other countries ) go... I plan to go in individual option, so going and finding job, instead of getting job as camp counselour because i hear those are payed terribly and you get to live in a camp which i dont like i think

so, my question is - how hard it is to find a job in the US as someone who doesnt have many skills that are not academic... i mean, i hear people mostly get around 10$/hr for student jobs like busser at the restaurants and like.

So... what skills, that can be mastered in 6-9 months, could get me a job for 3 months and be payed 15$/hr, if any ?

Because I was thinking if i can learn something here - like take graphic design, photography, dont know, course which is certified, - and with it get better hourly rate.. i'd do it...

so..what kind of jobs pay 15$/hr or more, but for only period of 3 months?

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I don't know, being a stripper maybe?

EDIT: I just realized this is probably especially creepy coming from the guy with the pedophile beard avatar. You're not underage are you?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Depends on your morals.

Seriously though, your age will make a difference as to which jobs you can get. We are also in a deep recession heading toward depression (that our government denies). There are many people looking for jobs so it may be difficult finding one that pays well when they know you are short time and their are long term employees with qualifications begging to be hired. If you have an accent and are 21 and I am guessing female, you could get a job tending a bar. The pay is good to very good depending on the bar and the location. What state will you be staying in? If you have contacts in that state see if they know anybody hiring. Often, short term jobs are found by word of mouth and are a product of knowing the right people.
    What academic skills are you alluding to? Could you find a paid research position or a grant or similar? Might not leave you a lot of time to sightsee however.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I don't know, being a stripper maybe?

is it that bad there in the US? is 15$/hr really... that big ?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    is it that bad there in the US? is 15$/hr really... that big ?
    Yes.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

It's quite a bit outside of jobs requiring considerable education.

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    Depends on your morals.

Seriously though, your age will make a difference as to which jobs you can get. We are also in a deep recession heading toward depression (that our government denies). There are many people looking for jobs so it may be difficult finding one that pays well when they know you are short time and their are long term employees with qualifications begging to be hired. If you have an accent and are 21 and I am guessing female, you could get a job tending a bar. The pay is good to very good depending on the bar and the location. What state will you be staying in? If you have contacts in that state see if they know anybody hiring. Often, short term jobs are found by word of mouth and are a product of knowing the right people.
    What academic skills are you alluding to? Could you find a paid research position or a grant or similar? Might not leave you a lot of time to sightsee however.
    Thanks. so.. what kind of jobs are paid 15$/hr?

all my academic skills aren't for use - i assure you...

i dont know where would i go, i would go with friends, i have only relatives in South Carolina and I am not really attracted to go there.

MBTI
    INTJ

Unless you have some kind of higher education or marketable skill like welding, I would count on working at a bar and/or restaurant.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    It's quite a bit outside of jobs requiring considerable education.
    yeah, i know this, this is why i asked - what kind of jobs are paid 15$/hr?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Unless you have some kind of higher education or marketable skill like welding, I would count on working at a bar and/or restaurant.
    You can approach or even exceed $15/hour doing that. But that comes from tips.