User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The San Francisco Bay Area is the nicest place I know of in the US. Marin is beautiful. The city itself is really nice. No end of things to do.

No idea about jobs though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Also expensive.

you will all make me wanna stay in Croatia. lol. dont know what to think anymore.

anyway;
    i wouldnt wanna go if i cant come back to Croatia with at least $2000 in 3 months, and also include $1500 of travel cost and paying for the ccusa program (insurances etc.)... so ... i'd like to save $3500 in 3 months, AND enjoy my time there, travel a little ( i am not planning a tour over the USA, but i'd like to visit few major cities etc. )

-is this possible ?

most people from here that did this spent 3 months working + 1 months travelling, and came home with 0,00 but spent much money on travelling. since i have only 3months (need to go back to school), i dont plan to travel for the whole month.
    anyway, if i cant save 2000 USD at least, i am not sure i wanna go since i can save that much in croatia if i work over summer.

the $15/hr was just some goal in my head, because i've heard most of them who go as students work for 10-12$/hr so i was thinking,... if i could... make that 15... somehow... (my ambitions gonna kill me.)

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I know you just want a short stay here, but it sounds tough to make it work out financially. Don't know where you're going to stay if you don't stay with relatives....An apartment (flat)?
    i guess? a flat... where else?

MBTI
    ISTP

Go to a northern beach town if you're traveling in the summer. These towns need a huge labor force in the summer to deal with tourism. Most jobs pay $8-12 an hour but if you get a job with tips, you can make a lot. Also be aware that you can pick up a second job if needed.

MBTI
    INTP

You said you've tutored before, so here's an idea. Just go to one of the college campuses and post flyers for tutoring. If you know the material, that is. You can easily make over $20/hr tutoring one-on-one (check the prices of your competitors), especially if the course is both difficult and required for a lot of people (like calculus, organic chemistry, general physics, etc.). However I doubt you would get more than ten hours per week, so perhaps it should supplement a more steady source of income.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    I am planning to go to work in US next summer for 3 months in CCUSA programme, that many people from Europe (and other countries ) go... I plan to go in individual option, so going and finding job, instead of getting job as camp counselour because i hear those are payed terribly and you get to live in a camp which i dont like i think

so, my question is - how hard it is to find a job in the US as someone who doesnt have many skills that are not academic... i mean, i hear people mostly get around 10$/hr for student jobs like busser at the restaurants and like.

So... what skills, that can be mastered in 6-9 months, could get me a job for 3 months and be payed 15$/hr, if any ?

Because I was thinking if i can learn something here - like take graphic design, photography, dont know, course which is certified, - and with it get better hourly rate.. i'd do it...

so..what kind of jobs pay 15$/hr or more, but for only period of 3 months?
    a sales job, at Verizon. my friend works there and gets about $2000 a month after taxes.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    a sales job, at Verizon. my friend works there and gets about $2000 a month after taxes.
    how much are taxes ? non-US citizens get a refund anyway....

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    how much are taxes ? non-US citizens get a refund anyway....
    these numbers are after taxes, before taxes I think it's much higher (commission checks are taxed insanely)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Okay, stupid question:

Are issues finding jobs that pay $10-15/hr a general problem or only when seeking employment with little education? If it's a general problem, then damnnnnnnn.
    a general problem. it's insanely difficult unless you are already well-entrenched in a career. even then, i hear stories every day about professionals who have been laid off and had to take up much lower-paying jobs that do not even make use of their skills or education. many of my friends with recent degrees do not have jobs right now. personally i have a BA and have been working since i was 17 and am currently working a shit job for less than this. we are all overqualified and underpaid, if we are lucky enough to be employed at all. it's a horrible, horrible job situation in the united states right now. so bad that i'm considering leaving.

@Chloe -

i'm sorry. when i saw your title... jesus. i'd like a goddamn $15/hr job and i'm not temporary.

how quickly could you get a phlebotomy license? i think that would be ideal...

oh, and NC is fine. i've lived there. raleigh and charlotte are totally fine. it's the rural areas that are freaky stereotypical, not the urban ones. sure you'll run into the occasional highly entertaining redneck, but they're not a problem.

skylights, i dont know have you read the thread but couple of people mentioned waitressing and bartending as $15/hr..

Have you thought about teaching your native language? I'm sure there aren't a ton of people doing that, and the biggest need would be in cities. That said, I think a $15/hr job and saving $3500 in three months is kind of unrealistic. Like others, I think your best chance for that is waitressing or bartending in an expensive place where tips would be good.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari