Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    actually my relatives are in Charlotte.. dont know that's maybe NC not SC - So close to you, earthtrekker i guess
    That's NC.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

i have relatives in south carolina but i really dont want to go there.. i prefer california and close to nyc, because i dont want to be bored... thanks, i'll check the book
    Charlotte is in NC. Keep in mind that California (most places) and NYC have much higher than national average for cost of living. Everything costs more and jobs are often harder to get because of the huge number of recent college grads with unmarketable degrees competing for the service jobs. NC may be a good choice, you might even get to stay with relatives for free. If you have to have a big city you may take a look at the towns that are connected to a major city via train. Housing and food may be less expensive yet you can still get into the big city to do whatever people do that like that kind of place.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    Charlotte is in NC. Keep in mind that California (most places) and NYC have much higher than national average for cost of living. Everything costs more and jobs are often harder to get because of the huge number of recent college grads with unmarketable degrees competing for the service jobs. NC may be a good choice, you might even get to stay with relatives for free. If you have to have a big city you may take a look at the towns that are connected to a major city via train. Housing and food may be less expensive yet you can still get into the big city to do whatever people do that like that kind of place.
    my idea was to spend 1,5 month on east coast and 1,5 on west coast.. :/

I think I should avoid South, because of mentality, and many people told me the same..

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

my idea was to spend 1,5 month on east coast and 1,5 on west coast.. :/

I think I should avoid South, because of mentality, and many people told me the same..
    Which mentality is that?

Which mentality is that?
    i dont know for sure... never been there.. but most people told me to avoid South..People that live there..for number of reasons... .
    take no offense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

i dont know for sure... never been there.. but most people told me to avoid South..People that live there..for number of reasons... .
    take no offense.
    I take none. You will find there are close minded, presumptuous people in every place and from every walk of life. I have lived in and visited dozens of our states and I would not trade the South for the rest combined. Whether or not you feel the same is of little consequence to me.

Splitting your time on east and west coasts could be very cool. You will get to see a bit of how diverse the US is, unless you spend all your time in LA (hot and dry filthy big city) and NYC (hot and less dry filthy big city).

I take none. You will find there are close minded, presumptuous people in every place and from every walk of life. I have lived in and visited dozens of our states and I would not trade the South for the rest combined. Whether or not you feel the same is of little consequence to me.

Splitting your time on east and west coasts could be very cool. You will get to see a bit of how diverse the US is, unless you spend all your time in LA (hot and dry filthy big city) and NYC (hot and less dry filthy big city).
    yeah it's not only for mentality that i'd avoid west, its because NYC and LA...

I see I need to do more research..

and btw.. so waitressing (if hot female) is better paid than... some things.. like helping out in photo studio, or ... something like that ??

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

yeah it's not only for mentality that i'd avoid west, its because NYC and LA...

I see I need to do more research..

and btw.. so waitressing (if hot female) is better paid than... some things.. like helping out in photo studio, or ... something like that ??
    Keep in mind their are plenty of photography majors that are willing to help out in a photo studio for free just to get the experience and networking opportunities. If you are not already a photographer they will not want to spend the time training you if you will only be their 1.5 months. For your proposed schedule bartending or waiting tables would be flexible and fairly easy to find.

Keep in mind their are plenty of photography majors that are willing to help out in a photo studio for free just to get the experience and networking opportunities. If you are not already a photographer they will not want to spend the time training you if you will only be their 1.5 months.For your proposed schedule bartending or waiting tables would be flexible and fairly easy to find.
    thanks.. this really helps!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Earthtrekker and MacGuffin have offered much relevant wisdom already.
    Here's mine, pardon me if any is redundant, I'm just in a hurry and giving you a brain spill:

(1) You are better off staying for FREE with relatives in Charlotte, NC than paying RENT anywhere else. Think about it, $10 per hour with no bills is far better than $15 per hour with "full bills."

(2) If you do choose to split time between the East Coast and West Coast, you will have opportuniites for cool experiences, yes, BUT, you will also be putting yourself at risk for not finding suitable employment, lodging, etc. TWICE. Six weeks blows by in the wink of an eye, BELIEVE IT. IMHO, tis' better to pick ONE GOOD SPOT to live/work, and then try to use that as a "hub" to reach other locales.

(3) Charlotte, for example, is a wonderful city. It is not called "The Queen City" for nothing. Raleigh, NC, not too far from Charlotte, is also a fantastic town. I'm moving there myself within the next year because I was so damn implressed with it the two times I visited there in the past year. Here's why:

(3a) Good local economies, technical and service sector alike compard to places like Florida, California, and Texas. FL, CA, and TX are the states hit HARDEST by the recession in many, many ways. Towns like Washington, D.C., Boston, MA, and Charlotte (banking) + Raleigh (tech/software) have been somewhat "buffered" by the recession comapred to other locales whose economies are more driven by construction (there is very little right now), tourism (who the fuck has money to be a tourist right now in the U.S.? Not many folks), or other non-skilled trades.

(3b) The term "Southern Hospitality" was not coined by accident. For years I've spoken of the concept of "The Stress Continuum." In short it goes like this. From NORTH to SOUTH, on the EAST COAST ofthe United States, the MOST stressed out locale AND HENCE most irritable general social attitude is in New York City. You ask people the time of day in NYC and you are likely told to go fuck yourslef. The "mid-point" of the "stress continuum" is Washington, D.C. People there live and work very fast paced and competitive lives, but they are the "northern edge of the Southeast U.S." and thus have some sense of the common social congeniality that the Southeastern U.S. is noted for. The population of D.C. is very diverse and very educated. It has a fantastic local economy compared to almost any other city in the U.S., thanks to the U.S. Federal Government's penchant for neverending excessive spending. BUT - the traffic is horrid, the cost of living is high, etc., it is similar to NYC in that regard, but ALOT nicer, IMHO. By the time you get to Orlando, Florida, stress is GONE. It's "the tourist zone." People there are mostly employed in the service sector (waitress, bartender, service trades, home helpers for the elderly, theme parks, etc.). The cost of living is LOW, but so are the WAGES. People are WAY CHILLED OUT in Florida as comapred to NYC or D.C. I lived in D.C. for 10 years on and off; I know it like the back of my hand. I've been to NYC on business, and had a little fuin there too, but honestly, I'd never want to live there.

SO - People in the Southeast U.S. are FRIENDLY. Believe it. Some of the nicest people I've ever met have been in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and even Texas. If you have heard of hillbilly/redneck/racist assholes, Earthtrekker is right, they are everywhere, but that type of persona is NOT the norm of the general populatin in the U.S. Southeast. Information as such is inaccurate and disingenuine at best.

(3c) BOTH Charlotte and Raleigh are GREAT "HUB CITIES." Airfare to ANY OTHER MAJOR U.S. CITY is CHEAP from Raleigh/Charlotte as compared to similar airfare from a smaller town, like say Tallahassee, FL. So, if you have a FREE place to stay AND a decent job in Charlotte, you could very well be able to make a few flight to NYC and/or L.A. at the end of your trip with money you save, instead of spending all your hard earned wages paying a slumlord for a shitty apartment in a crime infested area. Just sayin'.

(4) The way for you to find a good job ANYWHERE, especially a 3 month gig, is NETWROKING, NETWORKING, NETWORKING. Believe it. The shittiest, lowest paying and most demanding jobs are always advertised. Better jobs are typically found by reference. I've not worked any position that was advertised since 1995. My salary now is 5 times what it was in 1995, and has increased 25% in the last year. When I have worked side jobs it has been for between $10 and $25 per hour CASH. None of this would have been possible if I did not find my work via reference.

(5) I don't know shit about the West Coast. I've only been to Alburqurque, New Mexico; Las Vegas, Nevada; Seattle, Washington; and Vancouver, British Columbia. All those trips were either short term business OR a personal vacation. I'll check the West Coast out once my kids are older. So, someone else will have to offer advice as to how things are in that part of the U.S.A.

DISCLAIMER:
    All info above is based on my personal and professional life experience as a lifelong nomad in the U.S. and Germany and not without bias as such, standard disclaimers apply, yadda-yadda-yadda, and so on and so forth. That's my take on things, I hope it is helpful to you in some way shape or form.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro