• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Success

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is success important to you? In the sense of career?

Or, if you're a romantic, life.

Actually, what IS success??

Answer: success is money. Because if you don't have money, you die, & will therefore be unsuccessful, unless you're still able to get everything you need because you're a clever thief, hunter, moocher, or vagabond-- though you'll still be unsuccessful then, in society's eyes.

Sad but true.

Success is eluding me at the moment.

I am somewhat depressed about it.

DO U WANT SUCXESS

xisnotx

Permabanned
Success, to me, is living the life I know I want to.

I want success.

It, apparently, doesn't want me. Something about me being too lazy....

S

SingSmileShine

To me, success is reaching my dreams and then some. Success to me has nothing to do with money!

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Society tends to measure success by wealth, status and power, but simply choosing a goal (preferably one that will bring you happiness), reaching it and not loosing it again is how I would define success.
Unfortunately its hard (and in many cases impossible) to be successful without money, but money alone will only bring success if that was your actual goal.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Success is when they have built you a statue. Or you come home and are welcomed by your family loving you. I dunno, cant decide :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Society tends to measure success by wealth, status and power, but simply choosing a goal (preferably one that will bring you happiness), reaching it and not loosing it again is how I would define success.
I agree with this. I consider myself successful if I accomplish what I want to accomplish, whether it be at work, in my hobbies, or in my personal relationships.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I agree with this. I consider myself successful if I accomplish what I want to accomplish, whether it be at work, in my hobbies, or in my personal relationships.

boooooooooooooooooooooooring

Js, really so J its constant butthurt :D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think being happy most of the day and waking up wanting to live your life, is success. feeling like you're valuable and important and have a reason to exist and enjoy existing.

given i'm still trying to figure out how best to go about that.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i think being happy most of the day and waking up wanting to live your life, is success. feeling like you're valuable and important and have a reason to exist and enjoy existing.

Nah been there done that. Grows boring after a while when you have no reason to live for

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Success is ultimately useless, since the universe is going towards its inescapable heat-death.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nah been there done that. Grows boring after a while when you have no reason to live for

you're an NTP, you need to experiment and blow things up also for life satisfaction

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Success is ultimately useless, since the universe is going towards its inescapable heat-death.

good thing there are numerous more universes out there :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Answer: success is money. Because if you don't have money, you die, & will therefore be unsuccessful, unless you're still able to get everything you need because you're a clever thief, hunter, moocher, or vagabond-- though you'll still be unsuccessful then, in society's eyes.

Sad but true.

DO U WANT SUCXESS

having the power to go where I want, do what I want, get what I want and not do what I don't want is my goal. so I suppose success in some degree is necessary for that, but I don't really care if others think I'm successful or not.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
boooooooooooooooooooooooring

Js, really so J its constant butthurt :D
Ah, but with no real idea of what sorts of things I have been accomplishing, this is a baseless assessment.

I don't think I have been bored since I was 8 and too young to actually do the things I wanted.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ah, but with no real idea of what sorts of things I have been accomplishing, this is a baseless assessment.

I don't think I have been bored since I was 8 and too young to actually do the things I wanted.

But I know what you didnt accomplish yet :D

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
To me, the goal of life is just to be happy for as long as you can. Success therefore is achieving that end. Personally I want to be recognised academically and be one of the best the world has to offer in my field. Does money matter? Well yes, but I only need enough to survive and live in a moderately comfortable environment. I sort of disagree with the OP here because you phrase it as all or nothing. If we don't have any money, we'll die, that's true (sorta), but that doesn't mean that success should be measured completely by money either. I don't see how you can jump from "this thing is necessary" to "this is the ultimate measure of success".

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Sad but true.

DO U WANT SUCXESS

You've confused necessary and sufficient conditions. Perhaps money is necessary to be successful, but it certainly is not sufficient. Otherwise, a professional athlete would be successful the day he signed his first contract, regardless of quality of play or whether or not he wins any championships.

Point is, you define success for yourself. If you want to rely on society's definition of success, so be it. Problem is, society doesn't really have a good understanding of what it means to be successful, placing a lot of value on being able to dominate and humiliate others. That's not a very good long-term strategy, and it eats away at the soul.

I think about the movie The Last Samurai, and the character of Katsumoto in particular. He had everything material he could have ever wanted, but he did not consider his life a success until the very end, when he had the opportunity to die well in battle, in the presence of his friends, with the respect of his opponents, and surrounded by the beauty of his beloved countryside.

Material success is compelling, but it is neither beautiful nor moving in most cases. It sort of makes you wonder what the point is.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But I know what you didnt accomplish yet :D
You may know some things I haven't done, but without knowing what I HAVE done, you speculations will be far from comprehensive. There are many things I will probably never accomplish, because they are not among my priorities.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You may know some things I haven't done, but without knowing what I HAVE done, you speculations will be far from comprehensive. There are many things I will probably never accomplish, because they are not among my priorities.

I was just wondering why you grew defensive about yourself when I mocked you. Normally you could have said something like: "Well, if you want to know more boring J stuff, hand me over your phone number". Or something in the line that puts you on a higher psychological position than me or that shows your strength and your personal happiness with the way you are.

instead tho you immediantly grew defensive about your person and even made a huge case by giving a concrete example ("havent been bored since I was 8").

Normally this shows my entp sensors that the person in question is insecure or unhappy with him- herself or that something isnt right. A healthy person would just block mocking and laugh about my attempt.

Do you know what I mean ? This is entp human science :). What do you think ? Nobel prize ? :D