User Tag List

First 456

Thread: Success

Permabanned

That's the game, yes, but success is winning the game...or not playing in the first place.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    having the power to go where I want, do what I want, get what I want and not do what I don't want is my goal.
    This is absolutely my highest priority. I would shape my own destiny, form my own enterprises, and be flexible enough to do the things that inspire me. (That inspiration, for me, is eventually 'forgetting' about myself and enacting true societal change.)

Some power and money is necessary for stability, more is necessary for flexibility and autonomy, even more is necessary for higher and higher standards of living. Money isn't 1:1 with success unless you are explicitly defining success solely in terms of monetary worth.

But I also love me some recognition. I will admit that it matters. I crave it sometimes--for good or for bad. It's good to have drive; it's bad to have drive for unhealthy reasons. I'll be successful when I've broken free of that and am actually doing what I want to do truly on my own terms--rather than on those of others.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elisius View Post
    I accept that some people are cynical and pessimistic, and it's just a symptom of the situations we're in right now.
    I've heard of corporate massacres in Africa, pollution and oil spills everywhere, police brutality, political corruption, starvation and poverty all across the globe, I know what goes on with the genocide in Darfur, the destruction in Palestine, and the tyranny in North Korea.
    But here's the thing, even amongst all this, it's better than it was a century ago, better than it was a millenia ago. We're winning, that's what matters.
    A world with hope is not ugly.
    What is better than a centuary ago?
    In general the west is a hellava lot better off, but the poorest of the poor have not moved a lot. The places you reference are not doing so much better.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I dunno, i look at this thread and see everyone posting about what they want , want, want it seems so fucking greedy.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    What is better than a centuary ago?
    In general the west is a hellava lot better off, but the poorest of the poor have not moved a lot. The places you reference are not doing so much better.
    A name, Hans Rosling.

A place, TED talks.

It's difficult to see because there will always be the poorest 0.00001% and the richest 0.00001% which occupy our minds; but the average life expectancy and wealth of world has increased dramatically in the past 50 years.

Surely we should focus on the quick/easy wins to maximize net happiness?

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_roslin..._and_when.html

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

garbage

I dunno, i look at this thread and see everyone posting about what they want , want, want it seems so fucking greedy.
    It's a thread about personal success. This would be akin to noting that everyone is talking about ice cream in a thread that asked "What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?"

I get what you mean, though. We should strive for something more than ourselves, regardless of whether that falls into the realm of "personal success."

Quote Originally Posted by exact View Post
    A place, TED talks.
    Speaking of, Melinda Gates has leveraged personal success to spread awareness about global causes as well. The Gates family being rich as hell allowed them to start their foundation.