User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

There wasn't much grade inflation in my major, then again I saw tons of unhappy premeds. I didn't know it but my college bio sci branch was the favored premed major, had I know that I'd pick a different school. Despite this, the average in most of my classes was a C and the valedictorian had a 3.8. No idea about humanities, it seemed at the upper undergraduate level it wasn't cake, or at least it wasn't in ethnic studies.

At my community college grades were super inflated in most intro courses. My first calc class was an exception since only 7/30 passed and the professor refused to address the grades.

I barely cleared a 3.0 in the last 2 yrs of college. That and my limited lab experience (spent most of those 2 years internship hunting) makes me feel extremely nervous about my upcoming application to graduate school. I feel like the adcoms will LOL at my application (and stupidity) and insta-toss it in the trash. I graduated in <4 years so I wonder if that will help me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by celesul View Post
    Everyone here got near straight A's in high school. We all aced everything. There are classes where the grading scheme is that the bottom five fail (or rather, the bottom five fail unless they get a certain percent, which has never happened before). Going from easily the top of our high school classes to, for half of us, below average, is rough.
    That's how it is, though. The top High School students are the average college students. The top college students are the average graduate students.

What makes you think you'd get a better grade at the State school?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Wow, at my high school grades were definitely not all As. I noticed "grade inflation" only during grad school (master's, not phd), but in my high school class only one person (not me) got 100/100, which is the "perfect" score. Only 3 of us got more than 90/100.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm quite certain I'd do better because our core requirements (which we complete entirely in the first two years) cover all of the requirements for a math and a physics major at a decent number of state schools. We must take more than 4 classes a term to graduate on time. To graduate, we have to pass quantum physics. These are just the general requirements. The in major requirements are often much harder. However, we get offered jobs at career fairs without even graduating. I want to go into CS, but anyone here can easily just became a quant and make tons of money. So... yeah. I've compared my required workload with others (mostly at MIT and UChicago, but also Ohio State and UMichigan and the Ivys), and I haven't found a workload harder than this.

Anyway, the top 1% of high school students (I'll measure by SAT in this case, even though it's not the best metric. It's correlated though.) are only the average college students at the top colleges. I'm not talking above average. I'm saying that being at the bottom of the top 1% here means you aren't good enough to avoid struggling. Actually, because of the way things are structured, it's more a matter of when you'll hit your limit here, not if you will, even if you are the top of the 1%. I know no one who here who hasn't learned here that they have lower limits than they thought. Even the smartest among us (and the smartest among us are actually geniuses beyond comprehension) find that they cannot do everything.

A state school is not intended to cater to the top 1%. It's more like the top 10% for a good one I think. If I look at the numbers, I'd be at least in the top 10% of a good state school. That's far enough average that I'd probably do well. Also, looking at the numbers is probably good for me... We joke that before we get here, we think we're brilliant. Here, we think we're idiots. After we graduate, we think everyone else is.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

Glycerine

Haha, I regret not trying to get into a more difficult university. The difficulty level of my school seems to be a joke almost and it's a ridiculously expensive private school. I can cram for a few hours without reading much the material and I can still get an A. I have taken some of the "difficult" profs that people have told me to avoid and typically get 90+% with little effort.........I worked harder in high school. One of the profs gives us ALL the questions to the test and people still complain about how difficult the class is.........

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Haha, I regret not trying to get into a more difficult university. The difficulty level of my school seems to be a joke almost and it's a ridiculously expensive private school. I can cram for a few hours without reading much the material and I can still get an A. I have taken some of the "difficult" profs that people have told me to avoid and typically get 90+% with little effort.........I worked harder in high school. One of the profs gives us ALL the questions to the test and people still complain about how difficult the class is.........
    Lucky. We don't even get any study aids, much less answers to go along with it.

This whole fucking thread is depressing me, since judging by it, I'm probably in the bottom 1% academically.

Yet I actually do study at least 2 hours right before accounting tests, and still fail or barely pass. Just don't have it in me.

Fuck my accounting major, fuck school, fuck everything. I'm so tempted to drop out and just hustle my way through life.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Lucky. We don't even get any study aids, much less answers to go along with it.

This whole fucking thread is depressing me, since judging by it, I'm probably in the bottom 1% academically.

Yet I actually do study at least 2 hours right before accounting tests, and still fail or barely pass. Just don't have it in me.

Fuck my accounting major, fuck school, fuck everything. I'm so tempted to drop out and just hustle my way through life.
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You sound like you are constantly busy. For me, even though I find my classes pretty easy, I don't have to do anything but focus on school (I spend anywhere from 2-10 hours studying per test). If I was busy as you, I suspect my GPA would be significantly lower. If you want a higher GPA, become a little less busy. You have to sacrifice for what you want, basically. I basically sacrificed my social life for sleep and grades.

3.1 is nowhere near the bottom 1%... I suspect it's at least in the top half.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    That's how it is, though. The top High School students are the average college students. The top college students are the average graduate students.
    I'm not following.

So the average High School students became the top college students? Obviously, the bottom High School students didn't make it into college, so that's the only reasonable answer.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Speaking as a college instructor, the problem is that when everyone in the community has redefined what those letters mean, to give grades according to the old meaning is problematic. It's like saying "gay" only means "happy." It doesn't, and you can't impose that old meaning onto today's standards without knowingly bucking them.
    So true. Speaking as a college student I totally see that. A's are like both A's and B's, B's are like C's, and C's are like failing/D's.

Totally different standard now. I wonder how that came about?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

C's get degrees, but there is also the major that you are settling in.

Majors like Nursing? Their mission is to try to fail, every, single, one, of, you.

In majors like art and graphic design, it is less about grades and more about your work. You may get A's, but it doesn't mean your work is great. In fact, even if you get an A in all your classes, it doesn't mean crap if you can't get into upper division graphic design (here.... graphic design is VERY competitive, if nursing is competitive by grades, graphic design is competitive by the small amount of space available and the fact that your work is being graded.)

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I'm not following.

So the average High School students became the top college students? Obviously, the bottom High School students didn't make it into college, so that's the only reasonable answer.