• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career: Independent Scientist.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I was thinking about maybe carving out a career as an "independent scientist". I'd buy some land, build a small scientific lab, and build a house. I'd try to advance the sciences in directions I think are necessary..and will generate a revenue stream by either taking on small scientific/technological projects for other companies, writing and reviewing text books, publishing for scientific journals, speaking at conferences and doing whatever else I can to make support myself (and family).

I might also have a "financial sector"..where I'd do investment banking or trades or something (strictly to provide monetary resources for the lab).

I don't have a Ph.D in anything scientific though..but in this day and age..I'm not sure how necessary it is that I have one. I'm guessing if I am successful the scientific community won't care...because at the end of the day good science is good science...be it from a 65 year old physicist...or a 2 year old toddler.

I imagine a community of independent scientist online could be started (there probably already exists one..), and we could help each other with whatever we needed done...that way I don't have to have all the expensive equipment...I could buy something that they could use..and they could buy something I could use etc etc

I could go to school and get a Ph.D in something scientific as a sort of back up...but what I would like to concentrate on isn't really a standard academic field and I'm having a lot of trouble finding programs that would give me the independence to do what I would actually like to do...without stipulations that I find are unnecessary (and tedious, I'm lazy..). Plus..I'd have to take a whole bunch of classes that are only tangentially related to what I want to do...because "that's how it works"...

Assuming I could get enough capital to start this up (I have no idea how much would be needed...land, house, lab, extraneous costs)..is a career as an "independent scientist" possible?

Because, quite honestly, it seems to me to be one of the few things I wouldn't mind doing everyday...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think it could be possible, but it would take time.

What you'd have to do is the same thing most small businesses have to do at first -- Keep a day job, and start it slowly as funding comes in for it. Keeping your day job/career while pouring all of the money earned from the small business into itself keeps you alive and not struggling, and it also keeps you from relying on that small business money until it has grown to something more stable. People make those mistakes a lot, and then it fails as a result.

The only problem would be you'd have considerably less free time.. So if that's an issue for you it'd be something to consider. I think the land thing would be a great idea if you planned on living on it as well. I'm looking at buying and living on land myself, but I plan on buying a tiny house just big enough to suit my needs while I build what I want on the land in pieces as funding comes in. So it is possible.. It's a matter of what you're willing to put into it, and how dedicated you are to it.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it is possible but you would have to start with "Independently Wealthy" and work from there. Also, if you were successful at the side jobs you listed no one would consider you an independent scientist. This day and age "scientists" are about as bad as politicians when it comes to pandering to the paychecks. You have to follow the trail of money and then triple check the statistics, experiment design, and conclusions in order to weed out the good, empirical science from the bought and paid for drivel.
Scientific equipment is prohibitively expensive and the scientific community is a strange blend of a meritocracy and a good-ol-boy system. Not only do you have to earn the degrees and get published in order to be taken seriously you also have to have connections or you will never get a product through the FDA or get speaking engagements to discuss your findings with those who would actually know what the heck you are talking about. It is certainly worse now than 100 years ago but even then many researchers with great discoveries were only given credit posthumously (if at all).
I love science and research but it is tough. Good luck.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it is possible but you would have to start with "Independently Wealthy" and work from there.

I would agree with this. The whole idea strikes me as completely and utterly impractical.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I was thinking about maybe carving out a career as an "independent scientist". I'd buy some land, build a small scientific lab, and build a house. I'd try to advance the sciences in directions I think are necessary..and will generate a revenue stream by either taking on small scientific/technological projects for other companies, writing and reviewing text books, publishing for scientific journals, speaking at conferences and doing whatever else I can to make support myself (and family).

I might also have a "financial sector"..where I'd do investment banking or trades or something (strictly to provide monetary resources for the lab).

I don't have a Ph.D in anything scientific though..but in this day and age..I'm not sure how necessary it is that I have one. I'm guessing if I am successful the scientific community won't care...because at the end of the day good science is good science...be it from a 65 year old physicist...or a 2 year old toddler.

I imagine a community of independent scientist online could be started (there probably already exists one..), and we could help each other with whatever we needed done...that way I don't have to have all the expensive equipment...I could buy something that they could use..and they could buy something I could use etc etc

I could go to school and get a Ph.D in something scientific as a sort of back up...but what I would like to concentrate on isn't really a standard academic field and I'm having a lot of trouble finding programs that would give me the independence to do what I would actually like to do...without stipulations that I find are unnecessary (and tedious, I'm lazy..). Plus..I'd have to take a whole bunch of classes that are only tangentially related to what I want to do...because "that's how it works"...

Assuming I could get enough capital to start this up (I have no idea how much would be needed...land, house, lab, extraneous costs)..is a career as an "independent scientist" possible?

Because, quite honestly, it seems to me to be one of the few things I wouldn't mind doing everyday...

Is this for real?

You actually think someone would give you capital for this?

You actually think someone would hire you as their investment banker?

First thing I'd recommend: put down the bong...

KDude

I would agree with this. The whole idea strikes me as completely and utterly impractical.

But it's awesome though. Impractical as it is. There are worse things to throw one's life away at. Like being a crackwhore.

Seriously though, the only person off the top of my head like this is an amateur (and somewhat notable) paleontologist. I forgot her name. But she's more of an explorer/doing field work. And there's a whole network of professional researchers she works with. With a little luck, and a lot of passion, you could carve a niche like that. Otherwise, you're screwed without a PhD. And possibly WITH a PhD too!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been a practicing scientist for > 15 years now, and I know of only one person who is working in anywhere near the situation desired by the OP. He has his PhD in EE; extensive experience in industry and academia; which means lots of contacts with possible funding. A convolution of unusual circumstances several years ago led him to set up a lab in his house and essentially freelance, write, and consult for various businesses, It helps that his wife has a "real" job with good salary, health benefits, etc.

KDude

I've said it before, but I hate modern life. Something the OP hasn't quite faced apparently.

Too much paperwork and cockblocking. Wouldn't it have been nice if we could all revert back 200-300 years and just be a bunch of self-educated chumps who get to discover everything for the first time?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But it's awesome though. Impractical as it is. There are worse things to throw one's life away at. Like being a crackwhore.

For some reason, the idea reminds me of this person.

tedkac1.jpg

I have been a practicing scientist for > 15 years now, and I know of only one person who is working in anywhere near the situation desired by the OP. He has his PhD in EE; extensive experience in industry and academia; which means lots of contacts with possible funding. A convolution of unusual circumstances several years ago led him to set up a lab in his house and essentially freelance, write, and consult for various businesses, It helps that his wife has a "real" job with good salary, health benefits, etc.

That seems reasonable.

Independent scientist with no degree, no inheritance and no other job = homeless person in training.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You could only do small parts of this, and only if you were fabulously wealthy. Lab equipment is very expensive - always in the thousands, often in the hundreds of thousands and sometimes in the millions per piece of equipment. Certainly you won't publish anything without the equipment needed to do experiments. And a lot of things like chemicals are restricted for academic use only (for obvious reasons...), you can't just walk in to walmart and buy a tub of acid or radioisotope. It's also pretty freaking dangerous to be playing around with chemicals (if that's the direction you take) or really a lot of lab equipment without having the proper training and understanding of how it works.

I don't understand why you're so against being a real scientist. You'll accomplish far more to increase scientific knowledge that way than you will be cooking things together in your backyard without any scientific background....

Also, your ideas about generating income are insane. You think people will give you money for publishing articles and speaking at conferences? As far as I know, they don't even give real speakers (not only with phd, but with a history of high quality research) money for those things, other than travelling costs. You would never be invited to give a talk at a real conference without a masters and probably a phd, let alone without any scientific training at all. Conferences cost hundreds to attend, unless your costs are covered. I can't imagine them paying a speaker. There might even be laws aganist it for all I know. (disclaimer: could be different in the states?)

tldr - your idea is a pipe dream and not even close to possible in the way you imagine. The closest thing to it would be getting tenure at some low level university that doesn't care that much what you actually study.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Haha..what's with the backlash??
Obviously I'm young and trying to figure this out, I'm already tired of learning crap that isn't directly related to what I want to actually do..so I was just thinking of alternate routes...

Anyway, I was doing some research and the term for the career is a "gentleman scientist". There exists modern day gentleman scientists who fund their own projects.

Monetary concerns aside, I see no reason why I can't be one of those people.

I was thinking "financial investor" in the sense that I could work for a company for some time and eventually convince the company to outsource whatever services I'd do for them to the company/firm that I'd own, which would conveniently have a "scientific sector" aka..the whole point of me working for them in the first place..surely there is mathematical modelling work that I could do for some company? Or perhaps, risk assessment, or something... I'd have to look into it..

The new technology thing is more to try to "hit it big". If Bill Gates can do it...

And, fortunately for me, the type of science that I'm interested in doesn't involve too much expensive equipment. I don't need some fancy schmancy particle accelerator to do what I want to do. And even if I did, I assume you could apply for grants or whatever to use it at some time..(maybe not...who knows..) But, I wouldn't need a particle accelerator...I would just need to use one.

going sans phd isn't an option, though, it seems. if that is the case..then i'd probably just do a phd to get to know the right people...the actual work would be secondary..

I'll probably just give up..get an MBA/law degree..work for some company..make my money..and retire, though..it's kind of the american dream...ugh

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Haha..what's with the backlash?

The "backlash" is happening because, as people who have worked in the "real world", we realize how ridiculous your thinking on this matter is.

I was thinking "financial investor" in the sense that I could work for a company for some time and eventually convince the company to outsource whatever services I'd do for them to the company/firm that I'd own, which would conveniently have a "scientific sector" aka..the whole point of me working for them in the first place...

Good luck with that.

surely there is mathematical modelling work that I could do for some company? Or perhaps, risk assessment, or something... I'd have to look into it..

The jobs you're describing are those of quantitative analyst (or quant) and risk management.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
don't take the criticism of your idea personally, it's just a really really unrealistic idea.

most non-fabulously-wealthy people don't get to do exactly what they want to do all day for a career - and if they do, it's because they've made other sacrifices, worked damn hard and took a lot of risks, and also because things happened to work out well for them.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The new technology thing is more to try to "hit it big". If Bill Gates can do it...

The world just hit 7 billion humans keep in mind that at any given time their are only a handful worldwide that are successfully pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and making it big. I would wager that approximately none of those few could accurately describe themselves as "lazy".

You could always get your terminal degree and do academic research.

KDude

You could always bank on cooking up some meth, like many other chemistry majors. America's most lucrative independent scientific career. You can be a winner too. I recommend setting up your "lab" (i.e. conspicuous trailer) near a roadhouse or biker bar. Truckstop gas stations work too (if anything, you can find some good burritos in those places too... at least, I think they're burritos. kinda yellow).

Green_Pine

Yeah your "independent lab" will have a real hard time getting any funding or people to trust you. The only way they will, is if you basically put out research repeatedly that produces what the funder wants. So If you plan on doing something radical and real, plan on being completely discredited because you threaten the profit margins of Glaxo-Smith Kline, Merck, Monsanto or some other screwball .gov biased corporation.

Hate to rain on the parade.......but most research that is funded, has a result pre-picked for it.

ygolo

My termites win
LOL. Instead of ridiculing the poor kid, we could try to see if we can make it more realistic. Don't kill the entrepreneurial drive.

I know one person who is doing something similar to what [MENTION=11238]xisnotx[/MENTION] wants to do. He takes odd jobs while developing his ideas. He doesn't have a PhD, and didn't even do terribly well in undergrad. But he is extremely bright, charismatic, and hard working. He isn't filthy rich now, but he isn't starving or homeless either. Frankly, he is the only one I know who has tried, and he succeeded. Nobody else had the guts to try. (Actually, I know a few other entrepreneurs too. But they actually are rich now, because their goal was to make it big, not to achieve intellectual freedom)

They call it "lifestyle entrepreneurship". It is not easy by any means, but if you have the personality for it, it can be quite fun. Artists do it. Musicians do it. Small business "hustlers" do it.

Entrepreneurs of all ages go against the odds to achieve what they do. But remember, you are going against the odds.

You really need to know yourself and your strengths to pull it off.

Kyuuei's advice is right on the nose. You need some way to keep yourself fed, clothed, and sheltered while you boot-strap your business.

If you are young enough, perhaps family members may be willing to support you short term (no guarantees, but if you come from an entrepreneurial family, they may be supportive) If not, you have to come up with SOME way to make ends meet. If there is a will, there is a way.

If you are mathematically inclined, and can program, you could look for work as a free-lance programmer. http://www.vworker.com/RentACoder/DotNet/SoftwareCoders/HowItWorks.aspx?intTabSelectedId=2
Some of the signal analysis and modeling software projects pay rather well. But you have to be good. Fail to deliver on your first project, and you won't be getting more work. The site works on reputation.

Also, there are independent traders even on this forum. Trading is a horribly draining profession if it is your only income source, from what I have heard. But it is one option for bringing in money for the mathematically inclined.

There is of course also, the minimum wage option of becoming a tutor on tutor.com. There seemed to always be slots open for math and physics tutors. The catch here is that this can become a full-time, low-paying job--keeping you from doing what you really want to do.

During the early years. You will be essentially working two jobs. One to make ends meet, and one doing what you want.

If I were planning to do the type of thing you wanted without going through the "traditional" track. I would aim at becoming a free-lance programmer. Get a good signal analysis or math modeling gig once in a while (if you are quick and accurate at programming numerical methods) and you can save up money to do your own projects. Though, you may have to severely underbid to get your first job. Frankly, I have only heard about rumors about how to get one of these jobs. Without credentials, they may not even let you try.

If you come up with a good idea, you can get funded in some way or another. I think http://www.kickstarter.com/ is cool.

As for the land, and your own lab. That will likely need to wait till your small business has grown. My friend started in his own home/garage and then expanded to a site in an industrial park.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
The boundaries of modern science tend to be in the high energy realm. Good luck.