User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    This is a fantasy of mine, but a rather outlandish one.
    Yes.

MBTI
    xNxx

Lol at the INTJs in this thread. Boy, do you guys lack imagination!!!

I couldn't agree more with Kyuuei and Ygolo. It's not impossible, it's just difficult.

Dream big, my son.

Don't listen to these mental midgets.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post

I couldn't agree more with Kyuuei and Ygolo. It's not impossible, it's just difficult.

Dream big, my son.

Don't listen to these mental midgets.
    Most of what he said actually is objectively impossible, though. Without an unforeseen dramatic shift in the way the world is set up, anyway.

If he's willing to adjust his dream a little, something that could vaguely be described as "independent scientist" could be difficult but possible, given adequate income. As written however, the OP is impossible.
    -end of thread-

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    No, we just lack the ability to believe in bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    LOL. Instead of ridiculing the poor kid, we could try to see if we can make it more realistic. Don't kill the entrepreneurial drive.
    I thought I was encouraging him. Who's to say the world doesn't need more meth heads? Practically anything in ground transit would never be delivered, if it wasn't for meth. Not good.

OK, I'm beating this to death probably.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I'm lazy.
    I noticed.

MBTI
    INTP

What Zarathustra and Randomnity said.

Although I do vaguely remember a story about a dude who did theoretical physics while living in a van. But nobody pays you for that, unless you're actually a professor. Plus, good luck understanding any of it without a PhD.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Garrett_Lisi

It seems he has risked everything on long-shot bets multiple times in order to sustain his lifestyle. Good luck.

Do remember Rhinosaur that a Ph.D. or what have you does not actually confer any knowledge on a person.

Knowledge is knowledge no matter where it comes from.

For most, a college setting is the most efficient to it in a job pertaining manor.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Pine View Post
    Do remember Rhinosaur that a Ph.D. or what have you does not actually confer any knowledge on a person.

Knowledge is knowledge no matter where it comes from.

For most, a college setting is the most efficient to it in a job pertaining manor.
    The piece of paper doesn't. The process of acquiring it? Hell yes it does. It's not just your research topic that you learn about while you're getting your phd.

It's possible to think scientifically without being trained, hypothetically, but it's kinda unlikely. You learn so much about experimental design, statistics, etc etc which yes, could be learned on your own if you knew what you were looking for, but it's hard to find a "learn to be a scientist in 8 easy steps!" tutorial online. Acquiring knowledge on scientific topics is incredibly easy. Acquiring accurate, current knowledge on how to do science effectively is not as easy, by a long shot.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's possible to think scientifically without being trained, hypothetically, but it's kinda unlikely. You learn so much about experimental design, statistics, etc etc which yes, could be learned on your own if you knew what you were looking for, but it's hard to find a "learn to be a scientist in 8 easy steps!" tutorial online. Acquiring knowledge on scientific topics is incredibly easy. Acquiring accurate, current knowledge on how to do science effectively is not as easy, by a long shot.
    It is quite possible. The history of science contains a number of autodidacts, such as Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, the father of Russian space flight.

Times have changed even in the "short" time since Tsiolkovsky worked, however. Paper credentials are more important than ever; certification over qualification, legality over reality. Inefficient, but each of us must find a way to reach our goals in such a context, or the wherewithal successfully to subvert or overturn it.

INTJs don't lack imagination, but for most of us, it is not enough. We live to make our visions reality, not to keep them in our heads. The OP might benefit by considering why he wishes this sort of career, what kinds of advantages or accomplishments it will offer, and then by considering ways of obtaining comparable results using available resources.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...