• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teachers will teach.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love teaching in any setting or for any reason. Anyone else here natural at teaching? Any actual teachers/ profs? Experiences?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anywayyyyyy, yes, I'm a teacher and would love to share. But I have to run off and teach now. ;) So if you want, we can exchange some ideas when I get back.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
I've taught in a classroom setting before during my undergrad as part of a community outreach program to the impoverished neighborhoods surrounding my yuppy uni. It applied towards community service hours required for graduation. In group settings I was terrible. I'm easily side tracked into unrelated discussions that while interesting are not part of the curriculum. That said, I'm fairly confident saying I'm a great one on one tutor. I tend to understand things inside and out if I get them at all which really helps to understand where a pupil has a misunderstanding or has taken a wrong turn. So long as I'm helping them with a particular thing it goes over well.

Teaching people practical/tangible skills in non-classroom settings is what I do for work. It's great for me since I tend to learn a lot by seeing how they grapple with new challenges.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've taught in a classroom setting before during my undergrad as part of a community outreach program to the impoverished neighborhoods surrounding my yuppy uni. It applied towards community service hours required for graduation. In group settings I was terrible. I'm easily side tracked into unrelated discussions that while interesting are not part of the curriculum. That said, I'm fairly confident saying I'm a great one on one tutor. I tend to understand things inside and out if I get them at all which really helps to understand where a pupil has a misunderstanding or has taken a wrong turn. So long as I'm helping them with a particular thing it goes over well.

Teaching people practical/tangible skills in non-classroom settings is what I do for work. It's great for me since I tend to learn a lot by seeing how they grapple with new challenges.

Hmmm... I can relate a lot to this- specifically the learning by teaching- I wonder if many good teachers are like that- the learning and teaching go hand in hand. I never thought of the one on one thing- all teaching settings I've been in have been one on one or one on- small group. I imagine large group dynamics are a bit different?

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Imagine having a limited amount of time to address the challenges of a variety of difficulties students have with a given topic. Your explanation to any given subset of students may be entirely irrelevant or even detrimental to the understanding of other subsets.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Imagine having a limited amount of time to address the challenges of a variety of difficulties students have with a given topic. Your explanation to any given subset of students may be entirely irrelevant or even detrimental to the understanding of other subsets.

I can understand that- I guess even in smaller groups, there is that chance that there will be the outlier- the one who is just not going to pick up your radar. I find that one on one, they feel comfortable just saying. "I don't know what you're saying"- and you can just keep re explaining in a million different ways until they have that "aha!" moment that you're looking for- in the end both people benefit. (The teacher just for being able to have to go through the process of explaining things in their own mind.) In a larger group it would be a much bigger challenge.

N

NPcomplete

I've tutored before. I enjoyed it although I'm pretty sure one of my tutees thought I was crazy because of the analogies I was using (the wackier ones stick to the mind, ja?). Realising that it was not a joke and that whatever I was teaching them could have an impact on their lives made it daunting but once I got into it, it was fine. I especially liked adapting teaching methods to their learning styles because it also enabled me to see things from their perspective.

Towards the end, they all loved (or at the very least, liked) math and French. :D

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I love teaching in any setting or for any reason. Anyone else here natural at teaching? Any actual teachers/ profs? Experiences?

I have enjoyed teaching in the past. I've never taught a class, just one-on-one tutoring. It's fun for me to find the right way of presenting the material so that this one person can get it. It feels good when they have an 'aha' moment.

wolfy

awsm
My dad is a teacher, my sister is a teacher, and I think my great grandma was a teacher. Maybe it is in my blood, I don't know... I tend to gravitate towards teaching roles in whatever I do. And I have taught for a while as well as coaching.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a 1on1 situation, I like taking on a teacher role. But that's where it stops. Don't ever put me in front of a class room.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I taught high school English for two years. I discovered I hate public school classroom teaching. It's not what I intended to do -- I intended to teach in an alternative school. I think I would have been good at that. Unfortunately, the one where I student taught, that wanted to hire me, was being unfunded and was going to close the following year.

I got into office work, made more money, never looked back.

I like to teach when someone is interested, and better 1 on 1.

A

Anew Leaf

I teach on occasion for my business. I enjoy it to a certain extent. I'm pretty relaxed and encourage people to do whatever works for them. However, every now and again I get these super uptight people who try to run the class for me, and it drives me insane.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a teacher. My mother was an elementary school teacher, and I never really thought I'd be a teacher myself, but then I discovered that teaching is probably my most natural role. What was throwing me off was the kids-part. I never wanted to be in charge of a group of children or teenagers. That's more parenting than teaching, and I'm not naturally maternal.

I've always, always, though, been the type to willingly and gladly teach someone anything I knew or knew how to do. That was part of the fun of knowing it. And I discovered, teaching a class for adults at church, that I loved facilitating discussions amongst adults. I also knew that English was darn near effortless for me in school, and I enjoyed it. So I went back and got my Master's degree, and have been teaching at the college level ever since.

It's pretty much my perfect day job (I'll always wish I could do something artistic for a living), because I love teaching and I love autonomy. The only thing that I dislike is that I'm seeing a disturbing trend of politicians and bureaucrats getting more and more involved, and creating lots of dumb accountability requirements that serve no other purpose than to take up teachers' valuable time. Also, it's becoming more and more like a business. Students are approaching higher education as a service, rather than a privilege, and they put themselves in the role of the disgruntled customer at times when they don't feel like being responsible and doing their work. State-funded schools are starting to look at it like a business, too. How many students are failing? We must not be providing them with a valuable service! Make the teacher do more paperwork to prove she's a good teacher! Absolve the student of their culpability! Is the student not coming to class? Harass them until they are--it's your fault they're not coming! Etc. Etc.