First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    Imagine having a limited amount of time to address the challenges of a variety of difficulties students have with a given topic. Your explanation to any given subset of students may be entirely irrelevant or even detrimental to the understanding of other subsets.
    I can understand that- I guess even in smaller groups, there is that chance that there will be the outlier- the one who is just not going to pick up your radar. I find that one on one, they feel comfortable just saying. "I don't know what you're saying"- and you can just keep re explaining in a million different ways until they have that "aha!" moment that you're looking for- in the end both people benefit. (The teacher just for being able to have to go through the process of explaining things in their own mind.) In a larger group it would be a much bigger challenge.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

NPcomplete

I've tutored before. I enjoyed it although I'm pretty sure one of my tutees thought I was crazy because of the analogies I was using (the wackier ones stick to the mind, ja?). Realising that it was not a joke and that whatever I was teaching them could have an impact on their lives made it daunting but once I got into it, it was fine. I especially liked adapting teaching methods to their learning styles because it also enabled me to see things from their perspective.

Towards the end, they all loved (or at the very least, liked) math and French.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I love teaching in any setting or for any reason. Anyone else here natural at teaching? Any actual teachers/ profs? Experiences?
    I have enjoyed teaching in the past. I've never taught a class, just one-on-one tutoring. It's fun for me to find the right way of presenting the material so that this one person can get it. It feels good when they have an 'aha' moment.

I'd rather slit my wrists and bath in a vat of vinegar, instead of teaching.

MBTI
    INTP

I've always wanted to be a teacher

I've wanted a lot of silly things though

My dad is a teacher, my sister is a teacher, and I think my great grandma was a teacher. Maybe it is in my blood, I don't know... I tend to gravitate towards teaching roles in whatever I do. And I have taught for a while as well as coaching.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

In a 1on1 situation, I like taking on a teacher role. But that's where it stops. Don't ever put me in front of a class room.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I taught high school English for two years. I discovered I hate public school classroom teaching. It's not what I intended to do -- I intended to teach in an alternative school. I think I would have been good at that. Unfortunately, the one where I student taught, that wanted to hire me, was being unfunded and was going to close the following year.

I got into office work, made more money, never looked back.

I like to teach when someone is interested, and better 1 on 1.

Anew Leaf

I teach on occasion for my business. I enjoy it to a certain extent. I'm pretty relaxed and encourage people to do whatever works for them. However, every now and again I get these super uptight people who try to run the class for me, and it drives me insane.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm a teacher. My mother was an elementary school teacher, and I never really thought I'd be a teacher myself, but then I discovered that teaching is probably my most natural role. What was throwing me off was the kids-part. I never wanted to be in charge of a group of children or teenagers. That's more parenting than teaching, and I'm not naturally maternal.

I've always, always, though, been the type to willingly and gladly teach someone anything I knew or knew how to do. That was part of the fun of knowing it. And I discovered, teaching a class for adults at church, that I loved facilitating discussions amongst adults. I also knew that English was darn near effortless for me in school, and I enjoyed it. So I went back and got my Master's degree, and have been teaching at the college level ever since.

It's pretty much my perfect day job (I'll always wish I could do something artistic for a living), because I love teaching and I love autonomy. The only thing that I dislike is that I'm seeing a disturbing trend of politicians and bureaucrats getting more and more involved, and creating lots of dumb accountability requirements that serve no other purpose than to take up teachers' valuable time. Also, it's becoming more and more like a business. Students are approaching higher education as a service, rather than a privilege, and they put themselves in the role of the disgruntled customer at times when they don't feel like being responsible and doing their work. State-funded schools are starting to look at it like a business, too. How many students are failing? We must not be providing them with a valuable service! Make the teacher do more paperwork to prove she's a good teacher! Absolve the student of their culpability! Is the student not coming to class? Harass them until they are--it's your fault they're not coming! Etc. Etc.
    Something Witty