User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    mmhmm's job sounded very awesome.

Redcheerio, bundle of kitten cuddles, you might also consider project management. My entp friend does this and it suits her very well. Her Ti can track the details very explicitly and her Fe can manage groups very well.
    Thanks, Orobas, bundle of puppy cuddles!

I have done project management, and may continue to do so. While I like it somewhat, I find some of it a bit tedious. So while I like being the one to go to meetings, figure things out, and make decisions on behalf of the engineers I work with, it also requires a lot of Te skills like planning, scheduling, and enforcing deadlines. I'm guessing that's part of any job, but as you move up in project management, the Te part grows while the fun part shrinks.

However, the stage following project management looks appealing to me, the part where you do less of the Te stuff, and more of the strategic thinking. I'm hoping management consulting will help me minimize the middle Te part and get to the strategic part more quickly.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Question:

So what if a company hires a team of management consultants and they come up with a plan for the company to implement but the company doesn't like that plan for whatever reason? Do they get a do-over? Is there a "90-day money back guarantee"?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Question:

So what if a company hires a team of management consultants and they come up with a plan for the company to implement but the company doesn't like that plan for whatever reason? Do they get a do-over? Is there a "90-day money back guarantee"?
    My understanding from what I've read is that they work closely with the client the whole time they develop the strategy to be sure that they will like it and implement it.

@mmhmm? @highlander?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Question:

You would generally work with the client facilitating the development of the strategy and plan to make it as good as it can be and help increase the likelihood of it being adopted. Some consultants are better than others at this. There is no money back guarantee. The client generally pays you on a time and materials basis or there is a fixed fee for a specified scope, activities and deliverables which are documented in a contract.

I guess there are situations where a client might refuse to pay or ask for money back, if things get really screwed up. Normally that seems to happen on implementation projects vs. strategy projects though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

wow, thanks mhm.. and highlander for this thread
    it seems very interesting career...

my biggest concern about careers like this is that already mentioned in the thread - many people wonder are management consultants actually doing anything for real.. contributing... it's just like that with many similar careers... you wont be fully respected - in many cases - like if you're for example MD... but again, this was totally wrong path for me to take - go for what is respected haha... so ... i prefer a mix..

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

I have another question for anyone with knowledge about management consulting. (@mmhmm, @highlander, anyone else....)

I've read about how grads and MBAs will spend the summer practicing case studies, and that the interview process will sometimes comprise 9 one-hour interviews, grouped in 3 or 4 interview rounds.

Does it work the same way for people with 10+ years industry experience and no business education? If not, what would the expectations be?

Thanks!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    I have another question for anyone with knowledge about management consulting. (@mmhmm, @highlander, anyone else....)

I've read about how grads and MBAs will spend the summer practicing case studies, and that the interview process will sometimes comprise 9 one-hour interviews, grouped in 3 or 4 interview rounds.

Does it work the same way for people with 10+ years industry experience and no business education? If not, what would the expectations be?

Thanks!
    Never heard of this - not to say it doesn't happen. Maybe they do that with B-School graduates and strategy consulting or something.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Never heard of this - not to say it doesn't happen. Maybe they do that with B-School graduates and strategy consulting or something.
    Yes, I'm referring to strategy consulting at places like Bain, McKinsey, and BCG. It could also be that the book I bought is describing the worst case scenario so that the readers will be sure to be prepared. Although I've seen people talk about case study interviews in various places online, too.

What kind of consulting do you do?

Edit: Sorry, I went back and saw that you already described it in post #5.