First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i really like the case study guides at wetfeet.com
    but i used them like 10 years ago.
    OK, I'll order one or two from them and study from them. Or more? I also have one I ordered from Amazon that the readers there highly recommended.

Thanks, everyone!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

That stuff should be free!

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Verbal and written communication skills are very important as are problem solving skills and initiative. I don't know if you can hone initiative but you can those other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Question:
    Considering I have an engineering background but no business background, how much time would you recommend I spend practicing sample case studies, and how? What is the most efficient way to prepare?

(I've read that they give you case studies in the interviews based on "frameworks" to test how you think about and solve problems, but I haven't learned the frameworks or anything like that yet.)

Thanks!
    this is a good start: minto's the pyramid principle

http://www.amazon.com/Minto-Pyramid-.../ref=pd_sim_b6
    http://www.barbaraminto.com/

i have the third edition... published in 2002
    i couldn't find a good picture of this edition
    when i did a quick google search so just took
    a picture hahahha and facebooked it

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    this is a good start: minto's the pyramid principle

http://www.amazon.com/Minto-Pyramid-.../ref=pd_sim_b6
    http://www.barbaraminto.com/

i have the third edition... published in 2002
    i couldn't find a good picture of this edition
    when i did a quick google search so just took
    a picture hahahha and facebooked it

Well, I have that book. What was it - $130? Bought a bunch of them. I gave it to several people who had problems with their writing skills. Mostly they were "Ps." They could communicate verbally very well but not effectively in writing. I never read much of it myself so perhaps I'm a hypocrite. It seemed overly structured to me. Maybe I would benefit from finishing it. I hear it's really good.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

OK cool, thanks @mmhmm and @highlander!

Seems expensive and I'm already pretty good at writing (my INTJ hub who works in academic research said my writing style is exceptionally good), but if the book is that good, maybe I will get it after all. There is always room for improvement, especially since my current writing style is pretty much self-taught.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i read most of this thread and still have no idea what a management consultant's purpose is.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i read most of this thread and still have no idea what a management consultant's purpose is.
    Neither did I when I first heard of it. But I was interested enough to Google it and read up.

To oversimplify, they basically are consultants who help businesses figure out where they are going wrong in their management strategies, or to help them figure out new strategies and niches to help them get ahead in business. They have many different specialties, too. They tend to work with business leaders at the executive level.

I've noticed that businesses that work with management consultants tend to have less political problems and are more pleasant to work for, because the consultants help them with strategies to avoid them, and shed light on some of the areas that may be contributing to the problem.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Neither did I when I first heard of it. But I was interested enough to Google it and read up.

To oversimplify, they basically are consultants who help businesses figure out where they are going wrong in their management strategies, or to help them figure out new strategies and niches to help them get ahead in business. They have many different specialties, too. They tend to work with business leaders at the executive level.
    that's kinda sad. i'd hope that business executives would already know the strategies or else they wouldn't have gotten their jobs in the first place.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    that's kinda sad. i'd hope that business executives would already know the strategies or else they wouldn't have gotten their jobs in the first place.
    Well yeah, but the consultants have the advantage of working with many different executives from many different companies and industries, so they have a much broader perspective. The permanent executives are already good at MOST components of their jobs, but the consultants help them in the areas where they might have blind spots, and bring in new ideas from other industries they might not have considered.

mmhmm's job sounded very awesome.

Redcheerio, bundle of kitten cuddles, you might also consider project management. My entp friend does this and it suits her very well. Her Ti can track the details very explicitly and her Fe can manage groups very well.