First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Although I am interested in nonprofits, so I suppose one option would be to first work for a nonprofit, then do MC and have nonprofit companies be one of my specialties....
    Just a thought - you may want to focus on what larger and growing companies need - ones who have money to spend - ones that are profitable. Nonprofits are probably not on the the higher end of the spectrum as far as consulting spend goes.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Just a thought - you may want to focus on what larger and growing companies need - ones who have money to spend - ones that are profitable.
    Ooh, that's true. I just came from a huge engineering firm, so maybe that would be useful knowledge. Thanks for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Nonprofits are probably not on the the higher end of the spectrum as far as consulting spend goes.
    Yeah, I realize there's way less money to be made there. It would be more for the sake of feeling like I'm contributing something worthwhile to society, instead of just running on a treadmill in a rat race.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Wow... I thought this was a really odd thread, but, if you look at the bottom of the page, there are at least two others with the exact same title.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...onsulting.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...onsulting.html

Interestingly enough, in every single one of them, @FDG has mentioned how much of a fraud he thinks management consulting is within the first 2-3 posts.

A close friend worked at Bain for awhile, and we've talked about it a good deal, and I've definitely had my moments where I more-or-less felt the same.

It seems very MBA-buzz-word, make-it-seem-like-you're-adding-value-even-though-no-one-including-yourself-really-knows-whether-you-are.

It always amazes me that management teams who work solely within their industry would hire outsiders to basically do their job.

That being said, I've worked on Wall St. my whole career, and most people think we add no value.

While this is an understandable sentiment, Wall St. does actually add plenty of value.

It's just abstract, hard-to-pin-down, and not readily visible.

I've always figured management consulting might fall under the same umbrella.

But, like Wall St., a lot of it could just be a useless waste of money, time, space, energy, etc.

I'm sure there are cases when management consultants do actually add value, though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

@Zarathustra

Yep, I found those this morning, too, which was why I asked @FDG why he hates it so much.

I won't stay in it long if I'm not adding value. As in every profession, there are some that will soak clients for money and only pretend to add value, and some that will only work to add value.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Do you already have the job? Or an interview coming up? Or a specific company in mind?

I was very confused by this whole thread...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Do you already have the job? Or an interview coming up? Or a specific company in mind?

I was very confused by this whole thread...
    No, I'm considering going after a job in management consulting instead of engineering. Up until now, I've been doing engineering, and was thinking I'd continue engineering awhile longer before trying management consulting.

But now I'm thinking I might just go for it right away, except that first I have to do a bit of research. When I looked into it a few months ago, it seems like you have to read up on it and prepare for "case studies" which they give you in interviews.

So I'm trying to figure out how much preparation is involved so that I know whether I should start reading up on it before I start sending my resume out. That's why I was asking for advice about how to prepare, and how much time I should allow for it.

And from what I've read, it sounds like I'd be interested in a firm that does primarily strategy, but maybe also a bit of implementation. Bain, BCG, and McKinsey all get great ratings on all the websites that survey the employees that work there.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

As @mmhmm already said: vault.com.

They had very good materials when I was looking into this stuff in college.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    As @mmhmm already said: vault.com.

They had very good materials when I was looking into this stuff in college.

Also, just fyi, it's not very easy to get a job at a good management consultancy.
    OK cool, thanks. Yes, I realize it's extremely competitive. That's why I want to make sure I'm prepared.

i really like the case study guides at wetfeet.com
    but i used them like 10 years ago.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post