User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Feel free to comment if you want, but whew. I've settled it. Here's an update; in case anyone wants to know:

I decided not to take the course. I spoke with the professor to help make my decision, and she said that most of the experiments we would be running would be behavioral ones - but there would be a stereotaxic surgery, after which the rats would be euthanized. I can dissect a dead rat; I can run behavioral tests on rats; and I know I would be fascinated and gain a lot from doing so. But I would feel absolutely horrible if I killed a rat, possibly even indirectly.

I currently haven't researched much about animal experimentation - but I know that often is difficult to apply animal research to humans, especially on non-primates; often animal lives are just wasted. And I just imagine, years from now, thinking back to when I killed animals... ugh. I know I could do it. But I also know that at my heart I am an animal lover who likes rats, who has volunteered at animal shelters, and who has kept many small rodents as pets - it would be incongruous of me to kill rats.

How sacred is life, I wonder. People have struggled with this argument with abortion, killing for the good of many, capital punishment, assisted suicide, etc etc. Why do we struggle so hard to live and let others live? The rats will die anyway - another student will take my place in this class and the rat I would've killed will be killed by this person. What does it matter? Does guilt matter? Do we overrate life because life is all we know? There are so many issues here; I won't even get into my confused thoughts on life/death.

Sure, this is a kind of sizable missed research opportunity. Sizable as in, in my tiny life as a psychology major. But I'll find another lab, do research that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person. She said she'd let me visit her lab if I want; show me around sometime. That's cool. Maybe I won't take her up on it, though. Not sure. I do feel a bit hypocritical for supporting animal research, being emotionally able to do animal research, and yet not doing it when it benefits me to do so. But I also would feel hypocritical doing it. I'm trying to live my life so later I won't regret the things I did or did not do, so... this is a small, uncertain step in that direction.

TLDR; I'm not going to do any animal experimentation! No use being wishy-washy about it; since I've unregistered from the class. And yet, inevitably, I will continue to be philosophical (AKA wishy-washy) about it.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

oh, I came here to ask if you had any specific questions, since I do a lot of work with mice, including killing them (and I'm also a huge animal lover, but not vegetarian). Sounds like you found your answer, though.

food for thought - how do the ethics of killing rodents for research compare to the ethics of killing cows for food?

Not that there's an answer, it's just an interesting question to me.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned

I'm trying to live my life so later I won't regret the things I did or did not do, so... this is a small, uncertain step in that direction.
    That's all you can do, really.

Personally, I would have done the class. I don't think animal experimentation is something that isn't conducive to good morality. Is it not moral to enhance the human condition? Surely, in the same way that killing another animal (or plant for you vegetarians) to eat is justifiable, killing another animal in order to enhance the human condition (through scientific experimentation) is equally justifiable?

That's not to say it isn't regrettable, but sometimes, we have priorities, and uncomfortable decisions will be made. It's part of what makes us human.

Still, I can see the other side, and quite honestly can't condemn anyone who chooses to align themselves closer to it.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

food for thought - how do the ethics of killing rodents for research compare to the ethics of killing cows for food?
    Beat me to it. haha