User Tag List

First 123 Last

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    This is why I hate group work. There's always a reason why someone isn't responsive in these situations, and it's never a good one, considering that you're all there to get a job done. I don't think people like that last long, tbh. Be encouraged though, because some of the most successful people I know are known by many to be very dependable and reliable and they are responsive to almost anyone and anything (even if it's a PITA). They are the exact opposite of avoidant, and I'm positive that their success has at least something to do with that. Basically, you have to just work around this person.

PS - I doubt this is just an introvert thing.
    Last year, I had to send a scary email to my group members to remind them that it's a group project and that they should all contribute. Made me feel very un-INTP but the productivity of the group went up very significantly.

Sometimes you have to jolt people. This, however, is probably not that easy when it's in a job setting. Clear deadlines could help, and so would making the importance of email updates painfully obvious. You could also ask the person whether he would be more comfortable with another means of communication, then show them why it's better to use email updates (if there really are no more compatible methods of communication).

I have to say I'm not good at keeping on top of emails, I procrastinate on answering them and then forget and then it's too late to reply anyway ... yeah.

A nudge or two works wonders even though I know it must be intensely annoying to have to deliver, but seriously, you bring the the gentle reminder, I'll get the shame and guilt, and soon enough, you'll have the response you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    This is why I hate group work. There's always a reason why someone isn't responsive in these situations, and it's never a good one, considering that you're all there to get a job done. I don't think people like that last long, tbh. Be encouraged though, because some of the most successful people I know are known by many to be very dependable and reliable and they are responsive to almost anyone and anything (even if it's a PITA). They are the exact opposite of avoidant, and I'm positive that their success has at least something to do with that. Basically, you have to just work around this person.

PS - I doubt this is just an introvert thing.
    What is a PITA? And does it have anything to do with pita bread? Which is delicious. I doubt it is an introvert thing, but if it is I was thinking that introverts seem to be in their head a lot. So maybe a slap on the back of the head would work to get them out.

ThatGirl

Try not being so formal in your e-mails. Don't be nice, or chatty, just matter of fact. Make them brief, and to the point, but also vague enough to make them curious.

John,

Did you see this from this thing?

MBTI
    nerd

you should probably just go up to him and ask DID YOU GET THAT THING I SENT YA!!!!?

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't answer e-mails, and personally I hate using it, but my manager loves it. Honestly I can't see why I have to type out an answer when I can just go down to his office and tell him. THE ONLY REASON I submit at all to the e-mail system is that it's only way to get him to remember things. I do use it for communicating with head office, but It'snot like I can pop down to the office as we are quite a distance from each other. I don't see why I have to use for people who work by my side though. I much prefer face to face contact.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp

So everyone here thinks its a P-thing and not an introvert thing? Interesting. I thought it was the I-thing for the longest time. Will have to test this out.

If it is a P thing, then these dudes are already used to the nagging and follow up emails by the time they get to where they are, right? So if I send reminders, it shouldn't feel like nagging to them.
    k, im gonna try it

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Try not being so formal in your e-mails. Don't be nice, or chatty, just matter of fact. Make them brief, and to the point, but also vague enough to make them curious.

John,

Did you see this from this thing?
    Yeah, this is what I do now. I actually have to work at the 'chatty' part - stupid habits that carried over from facebooking and IMing.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    Yeah, this is what I do now. I actually have to work at the 'chatty' part - stupid habits that carried over from facebooking and IMing.
    How about a "friendly" guilt trip?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    What is a PITA? And does it have anything to do with pita bread? Which is delicious. I doubt it is an introvert thing, but if it is I was thinking that introverts seem to be in their head a lot. So maybe a slap on the back of the head would work to get them out.
    PITA = pain in the ass. Thankfully it has nothing to do with pita bread which is delicious and versatile. I also don't think this is an introverted thing. I'm extremely prompt with emails and working from home, I have to be. The phone is another matter, I dislike talking on it immensely.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Glycerine

I am guilty of this as an ENFJ.... eek. Wall of text can be overwhelming. being concise and direct without it being overly blunt might work. hah