• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Do what you love, and money will follow"

KDude

Pretty much what I was going to say. Also, I would think many people who don't have the personality for sales would know it, and would know the job would be hellish for them and not even attempt it in the first place. I know I never would.

Me either. I've been offered good money once at it, but the whole idea sounded lame. And she kept telling me how I'd love it, and how good I'd be. Pfft. Women will say anything.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fair enough. i was just wondering if the job itself changes you.

not that I've ever seen... my mother said that she assumed that I'd enjoy working sales even when I was a child because I've never feared talking to strangers :blush:

Pretty much what I was going to say. Also, I would think many people who don't have the personality for sales would know it, and would know the job would be hellish for them and not even attempt it in the first place. I know I never would.

some people who aren't a good fit are desperate enough for a job that they will interview for a sales job anyways... I won't hire someone who isn't a good fit, but sometimes less experienced people will and they tend to quit rather quickly :(

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
some people who aren't a good fit are desperate enough for a job that they will interview for a sales job anyways... I won't hire someone who isn't a good fit, but sometimes less experienced people will and they tend to quit rather quickly :(

Yeah, I can see that. There's probably some filtering on several levels: people who know they don't have the personality for it are less likely to get into it, and if they are desperate enough to try they either won't be hired or will soon quit. So the people left are those who are a good fit. I'd think it would usually be painfully obvious if you aren't cut out for sales.

KDude

Yeah, I can see that. There's probably some filtering on several levels: people who know they don't have the personality for it are less likely to get into it, and if they are desperate enough to try they either won't be hired or will soon quit. So the people left are those who are a good fit. I'd think it would usually be painfully obvious if you aren't cut out for sales.

In my case, I was asked to recruit for a tech school. Not because I necessarily knew the subject matter. I don't even have a degree. I think she did see something in my personality that connects with the potential students, and how I could sell the school to them. I don't want to really talk about myself this way, but she saw me as some "well adjusted delinquent" who could somehow convince every other loser in town to care about their future. Except I can't.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why not do something that makes a lot of money, gradually systemize is and reduce the time you need to spend on it? then you have plenty of time and money to pursue your real passions.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's the politically correct thing to say, otherwise the kiddies will either cry or blow off school altogether.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh totally, because my social science degrees have SO paid off since I got them :holy:

... I do enjoy what I do and I don't make bad money at it... and I have plenty of room for advancement, but that's because what I enjoy doing is something for which there is a demand and not everyone can do it (no matter what some people say) :)

doing what you love and becoming rich from it only works if you have outstanding talents and loves, otherwise, that advice is total bullshit :yes:

I would never last in sales. It would be a disaster. Your company would go out of business in weeks.

Me: "Yes, the vacuum has a warranty, like I told you 5 times before. Now how many more dumb questions do you need to ask before you just buy the fucking thing. It's 70 goddamn bucks, are you that poor? How much did that hideous fish tank over there cost? Does Nemo clean your floors?"

your customer: "I'm sorry, what??"

me: "you should be sorry. Now go find your wallet, and you might as well pull out a hundred so that you may tip me."

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I think it's wiser to think about this: what is something I like but that could potentially lead to a job with a good (i.e. you can life off it without too many troubles) monetary prospect? Basically, trying to combine the two "problems".

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
That expression could be true for everyone but mostly it'll only be true for exceptionally perceptive, creative, enterprising, fearless and talented people.

i definitely think it's a mindset thing. not only about
the end goal, but the steps one must take to achieve
it. and each person's approach to it varies.

i actually really like that expression, because it's served
me well. i have a hard time sticking to things, but i found
something that i was kinda naturally good at, so it was
easy for me to spend time with it in order to develop
and hone my skills. and the more i learned about it, and
the more fluent i became with doing the job, the more i
really got into it and eventually grew to love it. i say 'grew
to love' because i mean... work is... work. there's not so
much to love at face value initially. but like any kind of love,
gotta put forth effort you know?

on average i work 70 hour weeks, not only is it a time
investment, but it takes a lot of commitment and uses
up a lot of my energy. but strangely work really energizes
me at the same time. and if i didn't love it, i don't think i'd
still be doing it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It's the politically correct thing to say, otherwise the kiddies will either cry or blow off school altogether.

I think it runs deeper than that. If people didn't believe it to at least some degree, then there would be revolution. As it is, people continue doing what they're supposed to do because they think, (1) there's a chance that I could be that really "perceptive, creative, enterprising, fearless and talented" person and make a lot of money doing something I love, or (2) I'm not that really "perceptive, creative, enterprising, fearless and talented" person so I don't deserve to have what I want (because if I could get it, I would have done by now.)

wolfy

awsm
There is an element of truth in it. Doing what you enjoy will give you drive to go that extra mile. But you need to also do something you can be great at and something that has earning potential.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure what guidance counselors would say otherwise: "Do something you hate, so that you can be unmotivated to go to work, have potentially more chance to lose your job, and chances are a bad economy can ruin you just as easily as if you were doing something you loved"?

I mean, really, it's a no-brainer: THeir job is to encourage you to do something you enjoy, you're temperamentally suited for, and that you'll be willing to pursue through hardship.

I think that's the big thing there. Doing something you love means even when money sucks, at least you might have other compensation for your efforts and be good at the job.

I actually make really decent money now, after working upwards for my entire career, yet I'm just not really happy and wish I had been willing to pursue something I liked better early on because in the end all I've got to show for this is a career I don't much care about, and 8 hours a day for decades doing something (or not doing it, more likely than not, it's hard to stay on task) that won't leave me feeling good when I finally look back. Yet once you get a family to care for, and the economy sours, your financial obligations kind of locks you in; it's better to find something more enjoyable up front, if you can.

My father told me that "music won't pay the bills." I do think he was right, but he instilled in me an actual fear/shunning of risk, and unfortunately to purse something you love will demand taking risks sometimes, if you're to get anywhere with it. You'll have to fight at times to get the opportunities you want. I was passive, floated along, now I've floated high on the chain, but just feel like my entire career has meant nothing to me. Don't do that.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, I think that finding what you are temperamentally suited to is really important.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My father told me that "music won't pay the bills."

Funny. I know a guy who is worth at 25 million dollars. He started out as a janitor and ended up starting his own business and building that out. If he had to do it over again, he would be a music teacher.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funny. I know a guy who is worth at 25 million dollars. He started out as a janitor and ended up starting his own business and building that out. If he had to do it over again, he would be a music teacher.

Well, ironically, my dad was biased. He was a music teacher for 15 years, then got terminated/quit, and never wanted to deal with teaching again.

(For me, I would have been a performer, a composer, or a producer... something in that realm. Or something that incorporates music big-picture-wise, like video director, etc. I just had no confidence in myself at the time.)

The guy you mention has actually been fortunate that he has made a lot of money doing something he didn't particular enjoy as much as he wished, so at least now he has the option to quit and do something he really likes, since he has ammassed enough to fund those opportunities.

Most people who do something they're indifferent to or dislike don't really have the financial reserves and/or training to get into something else; it can be a tricky business switching careers late in life, since you're competing with people much younger and also not nearly as experienced as those your age who have been focused on the industry for an entire career.

gromit

likes this
The saying I've heard from every school guidance counselor, ever: "Do what you love, and money will follow."

Right now I'm trying to nail down a potential area of study, so I was wondering, does this work? Or does it only work if you have an affinity for engineering and biochemistry?

WOW school guidance counselors said that to you?

i love sitting on my ass all day. where are you money???

Heheh.

Seriously though I don't think this attitude is necessarily realistic, mujigay. For the majority of people, a career is a balance between fulfillment and comfort. Very few seem to have super fulfilling AND successful careers.

Two likely scenarios:

Find something that you find so enjoyable that you do not mind not having money or a comfortable life, because that activity is so rewarding to you that the small amount of money you make doing it is sufficient. I know some artists and musicians like this. Some people get lucky and become stars, but definitely not everybody.

Find something at least pleasant/rewarding enough that you can handle doing it every day, that will pay the bills, and that enables you to relax and truly enjoy yourself the rest of the time. Work is so that you can make money and support yourself and have the life that you want, including hobbies.

Less-likely scenario: something you love that also pays you a lot of money.

In any endeavor, doing something you love and enjoy will definitely help motivate you to succeed, to push yourself, etc.

gromit

likes this
There is an element of truth in it. Doing what you enjoy will give you drive to go that extra mile. But you need to also do something you can be great at and something that has earning potential.

...and wolfy summarizes brilliantly. :D

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Obviously, finding your passion is important, but that won't gonna help you if you're not gifted in the field.

So it's all about keeping your options open and finding the right career which you're also incredibly good at.

When luck comes, that's when success going to follow you behind.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think the statement do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life is more true. i think like others said...discovering your unique gifts and finding the way to best utilize them to your advantage is hugely important.