User Tag List

First 678

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Yes, I knew you were being a smart ass but why not leverage off your smart-assedness!

Was the niche basket area an intended play on words? As in niche = nuances of limited/containment and basket = limited container.
    No, I didn't notice that. Leverage my smart- assedness, I've been doing that and notice how well it works. I think that people get caught considering an area above a function. Say I love basket weaving and money, so I turn my attention to mass producing woven basket items. Before you know it I am a manager/business owner that does little to no basket weaving. What if I turn around and realise I like using my hands? A lot more options there. Building up like that seems a better way of deciding what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    No, I didn't notice that. Leverage my smart- assedness, I've been doing that and notice how well it works. I think that people get caught considering an area above a function. Say I love basket weaving and money, so I turn my attention to mass producing woven basket items. Before you know it I am a manager/business owner that does little to no basket weaving. What if I turn around and realise I like using my hands? A lot more options there. Building up like that seems a better way of deciding what you love.
    True but there's another option. Why not basket weave spectacular objet d'art baskets while managing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    True but there's another option. Why not basket weave spectacular objet d'art baskets while managing?
    Like American Chopper basket weaving?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Like American Chopper basket weaving?
    Preserved forever within the...errr...annals of Harley's history! You too might be able to bid for one at a Sotheby's auction!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

let me be the first one:

muaaahh anal hahaha
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I've been unemployed for over half a year now, so you might want to take anything i have to say with more than a few grains of salt...

When I was young, I had the double edged blessing/curse of knowing what was truely important to me. That was to find a romantic relationship that would bring me happiness. I made the conscious decision to delay finding a career until I had achieved that (I did not want a career to tie me down to a specific city/region). In hindsight what seemed like wisdom at the time (focus on whats important to you first) backfired on me. Having a reliable income is something I underrated to my detriment.

Most of my jobs have been "cog in the system" type jobs. In the brief times where everythign else in my life was good, having a meaningless job was fine with me - it paid the bills, and I wasnt shackled to the job with obligations of overtime. When I was unable to find fulfillment in the other aspects of my life, working a dead end job was a very draining experience.

So here is my cynical advice.

Make a list of the things you like.
    Make a list of the things you hate.
    If something on your like list can translate into a job, then great!
    Else just find something you can make a living at that you don't hate.
    And last but not least, try to make a conscious effort to create a work/life balance you are happy with.

Despite my cynacism, I do think a person can find a way to make a living in a field they are pasionate about. Natural talent is a big advantage, but unless you are horrible at it, dedication and practice should be able to compensate for a lot of that (but don't expect to be the best of the best without natural aptitude). If you don't have natural aptitude to fill a specific role you want but are pasionate about the field/profession in general, look to see if there are supporting roles that you might have an aptitude for. What people neglect to mention in the "do what you love" philosophy is that its gonna require a lot of sacrifices for an average person to turn what they love into a success. If you are not gifted, you may need to sacrifice your social life for education or practice (for jobs not involving formal education). And if you are not willing to re-locate to wherever you can find a job to get a starting point, you will probably find yourself as highly skilled in one area but unemployed. And one more thing, "the money will follow" does not mean you will strike it rich, it just means that you should be able to make enough for a reasonably comfortable living doing it.

The book "Do what you are" is in my opinion worth reading. It will offer you a list of jobs that each type has found job satisfaction in, which is a good starting point. You can probably find it at most libraries (and if not, gettign it for cheap used on amazon is worth considering). If you are on this message board, you probably already know enough about type in general that you can just skip to the chapter for your type and read that.

I have not read the book "Outliers" but I've heard enough about it to know that it discusses in much more depth what has made the best of the best as successfull as they are (its on my long list of books I'll get to reading eventually).

In my oppinion, the sacrifices to succeed at doing what you love are too great for me and probably for most people. It requires a drive and committment that generaly shows up in youth and those people know what they want to be and take every step to become that.
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

MBTI
    INTp

....seems like good advice to me....

There's opportunity in sitting on your ass. You could be a bus driver or taxi cab driver :3

or perhaps a online gamer professionally?