User Tag List

First 5678 Last

No matter how much you try to stretch it, money doesn't follow a skill at basket weaving. There are many career paths where it's possible to follow your dream AND not be starving.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think this view comes from people who love making money. That in itself is their art & what they love to do. It's not really the type of business they choose, it's business in general that they love & are good at.

Loving something & being good at it doesn't translate it into a money-making business, and that is always the main hurdle.

My personal thinking now is:
    A career is not your identity, and most of us will have jobs in life anyway, not a career. Making what you love into a job can actually spoil it for you. Jobs are about survival, not self-fulfillment, and even careers rarely bring that. Accept that you have to have a job, minimize how much money you need/want, and maximize your free time to do what you really want.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The saying comes from the poisonous mentality so many educators and politicians have in this country where everybody gets a gold star or a trophy, there are no losers, no incompetents and no one can get offended or left behind. They don't promise enough money to live on or achieve any personal goals. Only that if you follow your dreams (do what you love) than you can't possibly fail (the money will follow). Twisted, irresponsible logic from misguided utopians. The fact is many, many people are competing in the same marketplace for the same money with the same variety of skills and training. You must decide if you plan to work for others as a career or make a career working for yourself. If you work for yourself you must find a niche where you can be better than the competition and then stay better in the long run. Having good business sense and a level of comfort taking risks is important as well. If those are lacking then you must budget for a business manager to handle those aspects of the work for you. There is money to be made in just about anything you can imagine. It is up to you to do the hard work to go out and make it. That is the hard truth that well-meaning but dangerous guidance counselors won't tell you.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Act on what you love and the laws of cause and effect will create supply and demand. The statement "Do What you Love, Money will Follow" applies the minute you change placing conditions on both loving what you do and expecting money to follow. When loving what you do is unconditional then money becomes unconditional, the passion to do what you love changes, and so too the energy associated with money changes too.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Act on what you love and the laws of cause and effect will create supply and demand. The statement "Do What you Love, Money will Follow" applies the minute you change placing conditions on both loving what you do and expecting money to follow. When loving what you do is unconditional then money becomes unconditional, the passion to do what you love changes, and so too the energy associated with money changes too.
    Except for the energy part, I think you are the first one in this thread, who understood the quote. I now do too
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    "Do what you love, and money will follow."
    If you love painting, money will not follow.

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    If you love painting, money will not follow.
    It is all a matter of how you use your skill. Counterfeit and forgery can be lucrative careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    No matter how much you try to stretch it, money doesn't follow a skill at basket weaving. There are many career paths where it's possible to follow your dream AND not be starving.
    This too, I might really stretch it and make two baskets out of the material for one. There really are no limits when you put your mind to it. Well... perhaps there are but it is still fun to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    This too, I might really stretch it and make two baskets out of the material for one. There really are no limits when you put your mind to it. Well... perhaps there are but it is still fun to think about.
    There's some truth to this, IF you possess the business acumen to transform this skill from one person weaving baskets to some mechanised means to mass produce whereby there's sufficient demand for your unique product. Even with sufficient demand, how do you brand within your target demographics?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    There's some truth to this, IF you possess the business acumen to transform this skill from one person weaving baskets to some mechanised means to mass produce whereby there's sufficient demand for your unique product. Even with sufficient demand, how do you brand within your target demographics?
    I was being a bit of a smart ass before... I think if you were really into baskets it'd be better to move into a niche basket area. Not that you'd make a million, but you might make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I was being a bit of a smart ass before... I think if you were really into baskets it'd be better to move into a niche basket area. Not that you'd make a million, but you might make a living.
    Yes, I knew you were being a smart ass but why not leverage off your smart-assedness!

Was the niche basket area an intended play on words? As in niche = nuances of limited/containment and basket = limited container.