User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I think it's useful to find something you are good at. Then you are going to love it. And then it's good to check who may be willing to pay for that .
    Hot-hearted head

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Soo much negativity in here..

I think the saying is true, it's just a shortened version of the story. A bit idealistic sounding and flowery, but no one says "I love my kids!" without secretly knowing that those kids have also pissed them off to the point that they're at their wits end. But that's not the story they tell, is it? Because the story is an overview.. Overall, them being pissed off doesn't invalidate their love.

Same here.. Having to figure out how to make what you love work for you doesn't invalidate that doing so will grant you money and the ability to do what you love. Find what you love, and figure out a way to do that as a career. The saying completes itself that way. If what you love is having the evenings to yourself, maybe a simple 9-5 job is ideal. If you like to travel, maybe having a seasonal job gives you the time to do so. You find jobs based on what you need. If you love money, then you're going to go to medical school or something.

If you like to sit on your ass all day, you need to find a job that allows you to do that. I.E. Maybe you'd be ideal monitoring cameras as a security officer.

"If there's a will, there's a way" is a saying that might be more appropriate to say though. I think it fits the situation better.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    The saying I've heard from every school guidance counselor, ever: "Do what you love, and money will follow."

Right now I'm trying to nail down a potential area of study, so I was wondering, does this work? Or does it only work if you have an affinity for engineering and biochemistry?
    That saying is oversimplified. It's really "Do what you love, put a ton of energy into developing it, and transform it into an impressive product or service, and money will follow" but that doesn't have the same ring to it...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    That saying is oversimplified. It's really "Do what you love, put a ton of energy into developing it, and transform it into an impressive product or service, and money will follow" but that doesn't have the same ring to it...
    Or, "Do what you love if it's something that's profitable, put a ton of energy into developing it, and transform it into at least a mildly impressive product or service, and transform yourself into a ruthless salesman/capitalist, and money will follow."

It's a fantasy. By the time you're making money, it will no longer be the thing you loved. It will have transformed into something different and uglier than it was before. And that's even assuming that you can get to that point in the first place.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's probably best to find a balance between what you love and what makes money. Fortunately, I have a wide range of interests. I researched jobs, listed all the ones that sounded interesting or potentially enjoyable to me, then picked the highest paying on that list. I figured that way I could enjoy it to some extent (I hope), but still make a decent living. My advice would be to do the same.

I'm in college working on prerequisites for my bachelors while I finish 2 other associates degrees. (There are a LOT of prerequisites I need to take sequentially, so I might as well get a few degrees while I work on them). The associates degrees I'm working on are graphic design and web development because they're enjoyable to me. I plan to get a bachelors in either computer science or software engineering with a minor in marketing.

I chose that field for my bachelors because I was interested in web design and development. The development pays more than the design, so if I like both anyway, I might as well do the development because the pay rate is higher. I did some research online and noticed that most job listings for web developers stated that the employer preferred someone with a degree in computer science, so I decided to get that degree. I may also consider software engineering as a profession if I do well in computer science. My goal is to be good at both development and user-interface design.

I do need to be very good at math in order to be successful in a computer science or software engineering field. Math was not my favorite subject in high school, but I plan to work extremely hard when I take the prerequisites to improve my mathematical abilities.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't need to survive on the streets, hunt for my own food or work a 60 minimum wage job to know that this the most BS, delusional quote I've ever come across. you get a job so you can survive, not the other way around. anyone who believes this needs reality to pimp slap them
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Generally though it's better to never tell anyone about your goals, if they are even a tiny bit unrealistic. Otherwise you'll be bombarded either with bombastic over-positive advice, or with constant put-downs, etc. etc. - especially true for your family members.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    nerd

somehow my dream of doing what i love and being paid for it always ends up in a mental image of getting arrested.

"do what you can tolerate, and some barely livable amount of money may or may not follow."

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    The saying I've heard from every school guidance counselor, ever: "Do what you love, and money will follow."

Right now I'm trying to nail down a potential area of study, so I was wondering, does this work? Or does it only work if you have an affinity for engineering and biochemistry?
    The only way you'll ever be a succesful entrepeneur is loving what you do. The only way to be content with your job as an employee, is not looking at the money you make, but how well you fit in to the organization on a day to day basis, and how driven you are to make the company succeed (i.e. how your aspirations fit with the companies ambitions). Something a lot of entrepeneurs dont understand, since they think the only drive for their employees is making tons of cash.

What line of work you'll educate yourself as should be seen from the perspective of visiting potential companies you would work for after graduating. You'll never get any idea of what it means to be a specific title from learning the theory in school. It can be very different from how you idealized the work you wanted to do in real life. Look into 3-4 potential titles, then visit different companies, make a list of what you find to be important for you in the long term to be succesful/driven to succed in a business, look at the positives and negatives from your visits, then pick the one you find to fit you best.

A bonus to this is that you would begin your professional networking even before you started your studies.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    somehow my dream of doing what i love and being paid for it always ends up in a mental image of getting arrested.

"do what you can tolerate, and some barely livable amount of money may or may not follow."
    You should be a high school guidance counselor. You'd be a hell of a lot more useful to the kiddoes, that's for sure.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost