First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    It's the politically correct thing to say, otherwise the kiddies will either cry or blow off school altogether.
    I think it runs deeper than that. If people didn't believe it to at least some degree, then there would be revolution. As it is, people continue doing what they're supposed to do because they think, (1) there's a chance that I could be that really "perceptive, creative, enterprising, fearless and talented" person and make a lot of money doing something I love, or (2) I'm not that really "perceptive, creative, enterprising, fearless and talented" person so I don't deserve to have what I want (because if I could get it, I would have done by now.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

There is an element of truth in it. Doing what you enjoy will give you drive to go that extra mile. But you need to also do something you can be great at and something that has earning potential.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not sure what guidance counselors would say otherwise: "Do something you hate, so that you can be unmotivated to go to work, have potentially more chance to lose your job, and chances are a bad economy can ruin you just as easily as if you were doing something you loved"?

I mean, really, it's a no-brainer: THeir job is to encourage you to do something you enjoy, you're temperamentally suited for, and that you'll be willing to pursue through hardship.

I think that's the big thing there. Doing something you love means even when money sucks, at least you might have other compensation for your efforts and be good at the job.

I actually make really decent money now, after working upwards for my entire career, yet I'm just not really happy and wish I had been willing to pursue something I liked better early on because in the end all I've got to show for this is a career I don't much care about, and 8 hours a day for decades doing something (or not doing it, more likely than not, it's hard to stay on task) that won't leave me feeling good when I finally look back. Yet once you get a family to care for, and the economy sours, your financial obligations kind of locks you in; it's better to find something more enjoyable up front, if you can.

My father told me that "music won't pay the bills." I do think he was right, but he instilled in me an actual fear/shunning of risk, and unfortunately to purse something you love will demand taking risks sometimes, if you're to get anywhere with it. You'll have to fight at times to get the opportunities you want. I was passive, floated along, now I've floated high on the chain, but just feel like my entire career has meant nothing to me. Don't do that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Yeah, I think that finding what you are temperamentally suited to is really important.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My father told me that "music won't pay the bills."
    Funny. I know a guy who is worth at 25 million dollars. He started out as a janitor and ended up starting his own business and building that out. If he had to do it over again, he would be a music teacher.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Funny. I know a guy who is worth at 25 million dollars. He started out as a janitor and ended up starting his own business and building that out. If he had to do it over again, he would be a music teacher.
    Well, ironically, my dad was biased. He was a music teacher for 15 years, then got terminated/quit, and never wanted to deal with teaching again.

(For me, I would have been a performer, a composer, or a producer... something in that realm. Or something that incorporates music big-picture-wise, like video director, etc. I just had no confidence in myself at the time.)

The guy you mention has actually been fortunate that he has made a lot of money doing something he didn't particular enjoy as much as he wished, so at least now he has the option to quit and do something he really likes, since he has ammassed enough to fund those opportunities.

Most people who do something they're indifferent to or dislike don't really have the financial reserves and/or training to get into something else; it can be a tricky business switching careers late in life, since you're competing with people much younger and also not nearly as experienced as those your age who have been focused on the industry for an entire career.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    The saying I've heard from every school guidance counselor, ever: "Do what you love, and money will follow."

Right now I'm trying to nail down a potential area of study, so I was wondering, does this work? Or does it only work if you have an affinity for engineering and biochemistry?
    WOW school guidance counselors said that to you?

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i love sitting on my ass all day. where are you money???
    Heheh.

Seriously though I don't think this attitude is necessarily realistic, mujigay. For the majority of people, a career is a balance between fulfillment and comfort. Very few seem to have super fulfilling AND successful careers.

Two likely scenarios:

Find something that you find so enjoyable that you do not mind not having money or a comfortable life, because that activity is so rewarding to you that the small amount of money you make doing it is sufficient. I know some artists and musicians like this. Some people get lucky and become stars, but definitely not everybody.

Find something at least pleasant/rewarding enough that you can handle doing it every day, that will pay the bills, and that enables you to relax and truly enjoy yourself the rest of the time. Work is so that you can make money and support yourself and have the life that you want, including hobbies.

Less-likely scenario: something you love that also pays you a lot of money.

In any endeavor, doing something you love and enjoy will definitely help motivate you to succeed, to push yourself, etc.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    There is an element of truth in it. Doing what you enjoy will give you drive to go that extra mile. But you need to also do something you can be great at and something that has earning potential.
    ...and wolfy summarizes brilliantly.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Obviously, finding your passion is important, but that won't gonna help you if you're not gifted in the field.

So it's all about keeping your options open and finding the right career which you're also incredibly good at.

When luck comes, that's when success going to follow you behind.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think the statement do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life is more true. i think like others said...discovering your unique gifts and finding the way to best utilize them to your advantage is hugely important.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison