• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types of Software Developers

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
The common belief that extroverts make bad programmers might not stand up to this study. What do you guys think?

cuban-programmers-MBTI.png

NOTE: The above is based on data samples from Cuba.

Full study: http://www.wiete.com.au/journals/GJEE/Publish/vol13no2/02J-Capretz-L-F.pdf

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's a surprising result, since it doesn't match that well with what studies have found previously. Of course, a more meaningful comparison would against the average type for the population (so that selection effects would be visible). Also, the culture for programming would make a big difference.

According to wikipedia only about 2% of the population of Cuba has access to the internet... and that 2% is composed mostly of government officials. Computer ownership is Cuba is also extremely low. Given all this, I think it makes generalizing about computer programming in Cuba vs. the rest of the world very problematic.

For example this study found the most over-represented types to be:
  • INTJ 3.40x
  • INTP 2.46x
  • ENTJ 2.23x
  • ISTJ 2.08x

This fits my own experience as a computer programmer. There are, of course, STs of other types as well. Even in the above study, ESTJs were the second most numerous type, even though they their preference factor was 1.73 (much lower than any of the NTs).

There's also this paper, which proposes a relationship between preferences and different kinds of software engineering jobs. For preferences they relate:
  • Systems Analysis to E & F (where communication with clients or disparate
    groups is key)
  • Software Design to N & T (where abstraction and logical analysis are key)
  • Programing/Implementation to I, S & T
  • Testing to S & J
  • Maintenance to S & P

That makes some sense to me.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Whoa, ESTJ's at 26%? I would believe a big chunk might be ISTJ's ..... and thinking of the majority of programmers I have met over the years (and they are many at this juncture) all tend to be introverts. NT's too.

*goes to read studies*

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
That's a surprising result, since it doesn't match that well with what studies have found previously. Of course, a more meaningful comparison would against the average type for the population (so that selection effects would be visible). Also, the culture for programming would make a big difference.

According to wikipedia only about 2% of the population of Cuba has access to the internet... and that 2% is composed mostly of government officials. Computer ownership is Cuba is also extremely low. Given all this, I think it makes generalizing about computer programming in Cuba vs. the rest of the world very problematic.

For example this study found the most over-represented types to be:
  • INTJ 3.40x
  • INTP 2.46x
  • ENTJ 2.23x
  • ISTJ 2.08x

This fits my own experience as a computer programmer. There are, of course, STs of other types as well. Even in the above study, ESTJs were the second most numerous type, even though they their preference factor was 1.73 (much lower than any of the NTs).

There's also this paper, which proposes a relationship between preferences and different kinds of software engineering jobs. For preferences they relate:
  • Systems Analysis to E & F (where communication with clients or disparate
    groups is key)
  • Software Design to N & T (where abstraction and logical analysis are key)
  • Programing/Implementation to I, S & T
  • Testing to S & J
  • Maintenance to S & P

That makes some sense to me.

I'm not sure if you can equate computer ownership with programming knowledge. Though the two are synonymous in the first world, third world is an entirely different issue. People go to college, learn programming, go get a job all without being computer owners.

That said, I'm satisfied with the rest of your response, it makes perfect sense to me.

And thanks for that last paper. I'm going have to read all papers by that UWO prof on the subject - I've been looking for someone like that for a while now!

There is no study that attempts to correlate hardware/system design and the Jungian theory, is there? It would be interesting to see how different it is from the one you've posted above.

Last edited:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whoa, ESTJ's at 26%? I would believe a big chunk might be ISTJ's ..... and thinking of the majority of programmers I have met over the years (and they are many at this juncture) all tend to be introverts. NT's too.

*goes to read studies*

I agree, I haven't seen anywhere near that number of ESTJ programmers in my career, but I then have mostly worked for software companies. A lot of programming jobs are for companies who focus on other things (banking, oil, marketing, etc)... so might have very different cultures. I have run into a number of sensing programmers, though. The SJs seem good at providing consistency, oversight and critical feedback (not my strengths). The SPs seem to be good at being more tactical, and seem to gravitate more towards shorter term, more customer-engaged projects.

I'm not sure if you can equate computer ownership with programming knowledge. Though the two are synonymous in the first world, third world is an entirely different issue. People go to college, learn programming, go get a job all without being computer owners.

I wasn't trying to imply that Cuban programmers don't know how to program and that they "program" by putting on plays in which modules are represented by sock puppets or something. Was just trying to say that the cultural environment for programming could easily be very different where one gains programming knowledge and experience mainly through formal means... and that could have an effect on who ends up programming (plus other cultural factors).

That said, I'm satisfied with the rest of your response, it makes perfect sense to me.

And thanks for that last paper. I'm going have to read all papers by that UWO prof on the subject - I've been looking for someone like that for a while now!

There is no study that attempts to correlate hardware/system design and the Jungian theory, is there? It would be interesting to see how different it is from the one you've posted above.

Sure thing! I think there are some, but a quick google didn't turn up a lot. This article lists some other studies that have typed various kinds of engineering students (including one for electrical engineering students): http://www.istl.org/03-spring/refereed2.html.

I know CAPT has resources that give type breakdowns of people in various careers, but I think one has to pay for that info.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This study is not valid, because the 16 types are not equally distributed in the population. You would have to correct those percentages for the frequency of each type in the population!

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why would ENTPs be the lowest of the thinkers? :thinking: