User Tag List

First 123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What I hate about this is that you never get a group of people in which people really feel they are equals, you'll always get the one team killer who believes they are superior to everyone else and really ought to be giving the orders to everyone else or assumes that no one else knows or has thought about whatever has just come into their head, when its even perhaps been discussed, possibly more than once.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    On a side note, I really dislike the term "motivating people." If I'm paying someone to do something and they're not self-motivated enough to do what I contract them to do, then I have no issue with kicking their asses to the curb.
    Have you ever fired anyone? What do you say to them?
    I don't think I ever want to be given that task.

When I get angry or annoyed, I can bark out orders with the best of them, but that only comes when I'm angry. 'To have to do that everyday or hover over people would be weird for me because I see other adults as my equals/peers, unless they are clearly in authority over me.

Gah! I have to get off here and do my group work!

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Have you ever fired anyone? What do you say to them?
    I have, and it depends on the situation. I've never been nasty about it, its usually something along the lines of, "I'd just like to get a second pair of eyes to do this" or "the owner has found someone else to do" or "This isn't working out".

I don't think I ever want to be given that task.
    I've found in situations like this is depends on perspective. If I look at it as a duty that needs to be done for a good reason, then I don't have a lot of difficulty with it.

When I get angry or annoyed, I can bark out orders with the best of them, but that only comes when I'm angry. 'To have to do that everyday or hover over people would be weird for me because I see other adults as my equals/peers, unless they are clearly in authority over me.
    Once again, perspective. I'm very much like you in that respect but I've found that most people are busy and don't mind having someone follow up with them about doing stuff. Most of the people I work with put a lot of pride into their work and I've even been thanked a couple of times for following up with them.

And yeah, when I get angry, I become an iron fisted tyrant. I'm not fun or pleasant to be around.

Gah! I have to get off here and do my group work!
    Slacker!
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

as chief tormentor of a group of people at work, who's performance is a reflection of how well I do (and therefore what I get evaluated on!), I choose to use the carrot and the stick approach... mostly the carrot. I bring them breakfast, patiently help them out with things that they have problems with and speak up for them whenever I can... they genuinely WANT to do the right thing because they don't want to disappoint me. That, combined with fear of "the look"

I've found that motivating by being likable is by far the easiest... guilt on the part of those who do wrong is a powerful motivator
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I wish I still had groupwork on the job then I could make someone else do the stuff. Here I have to take all responsibility alone
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I wish I still had groupwork on the job then I could make someone else do the stuff. Here I have to take all responsibility alone
    It is really nice when it works. I'm preparing to do more than my share just in case.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yea, someone has always to step out of line
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Please tell me that groupwork or teamwork gets easier and better on the job than it does while in school. Tell me that people who don't carry their load are weeded out at the job level.
    more than likely not, you run into the problem of having too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, it's always like that, yes. But you don't need to carry more load than your fair share, if you're willing to accept that the deadline will not be met and everyone will be worse off. It's the only way to solve the tragedy of the commons with an equally shared payoff. I've done it sometimes, it's not that bad.
    Exactly what I wanted to say.

@Giggly, you asked why I was overworking myself--this is why.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 09-21-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot the Bat Signal
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    more than likely not, you run into the problem of having too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.
    That's definitely a problem in any team, although I tend to find that the greatest teamkillers are also the pretenders to the throne, the sorts of people who'll disguise their own competence issues by believing they're really in a superior role to their colleagues, it can be as simple as monopolising channels for communication with outsiders or real superiors and in that role constantly issuing orders or simply delegating by refusing to volunteer themselves, ever.