Thread: Interview Tips

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Default Interview Tips

Interviews, we all have them (most of us hate them) and some of us just have absolutely no damned luck with them. Help fellow forum-members out and post your tips/techniques which may aid in making them a successful candidate for their future employer(s)!

Topics to get us started:

- What helps make you feel secure when entering a job interview?
    - What types of questions do you feel uncomfortable answering? (What do you anticipate to be the 'correct' answers?)
    - What are some good questions to ask?
    - Do you follow up?

etc.
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

1. Make sure you have all the tools necessary for the job. Like a car. (J/k!)

2. Become an expert in the company, and choose 3 questions to ask them. Base your questions on your research - especially if you find something that aligns with a personal goal of growth for yourself.

And yes, it's a good idea to follow up. Better yet, send them a card before the interview. It'll differentiate you.

MBTI
    INTP

Think through the interview from their POV – think of the questions you would ask, then how you would answer them.

Take charge of the interview. Start to ask questions about how you would fit into the team, what your responsibilities would be, offer suggestions about what you could do. Get THEM thinking of you working there.

If you get a question you can’t answer – ask them to clarify, expand the topic.

Technical interviews are different of course. About all you can do is know your stuff and hang on.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    Technical interviews are different of course. About all you can do is know your stuff and hang on.
    ...and if you don't know the answer, explain to them how you would go about finding it and solving the problem.

I do think that "taking charge of the interview" needs to be done with some care. I agree that turning the subject to how you'll fit in the company is a good idea though, and much better than just letting them ask you cookie cutter questions. You are giving them a preview of the rapport they can expect from you as an employee, and if it's smooth, they'll feel more comfortable with you.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Goldman Sachs has a pretty solid Interviewing 101 presentation. They different types of interviewing formats, approaches for each and general interview etiquette.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

ReflecTcelfeR

The three L's. Lie. Lie. Lie.

No... Be honest. I've never had an interview at an extremely important corporation, where decisions matter, but I imagine dressing the part is a great deal of it all. Then I'd research the job requirements and understand what questions they could ask and have some answers and promote how well you'd be able to accomplish the researched requirements.

MBTI
    ISTx

Find something you like about the company, that integrates your own ambitions and convey that to the interviewer along with your reasons... For instance: the opportunity for advancement, special assignments etc. A company not only wants to see that you're excited about joining their team, but that you have drive.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

As someone that's done some interviews on the other side of the table, I'd say the following points make or break interviews.

- Dress well, depending on the job it might not have to be all suited up and all, sometimes it's even prefered not to suit up, but at least look presentable when going casual. Don't come to an interview wearing the pants you wore when painting your house. Don't be a bum.

- Don't talk too much. Be succint, let it be known you want the job and can do the job. Let the interviewer come up with questions as much as possible. Overpresenting yourself is not a good thing. You're more likely to say dumb crap that will put off the interviewer. You're there to do a job, not to make friends.

- You have what it takes to do the job, you don't doubt this, you don't question it. Treat this fact as if it is the most normal thing in the world, like waking up in the morning. Don't -try- to prove yourself, but create the illusion you don't -need- to prove yourself, because it is obvious you got what it takes. Be confident.

- And imo most important, BE POSITIVE! For example, don't focus on the negative aspects. If you're looking for a part time job, 15 hours a week, but you can't work on tuesdays, wednesdays and thursdays, then tell them you're looking for a job for weekends, mondays and fridays. Focus on when you can work, not when you can't. You want to work, those are the days you want to do the job, nobody cares about the days you don't want to work. Always adress the bright side of things. Keeping the interview positive is the best way to get the job.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Goldman Sachs has a pretty solid Interviewing 101 presentation. They different types of interviewing formats, approaches for each and general interview etiquette.
    I found that video pretty helpful actually, especially the part about what types of questions to ask in an interview and what not to. thanks for the link!
    The following questions usually throw me a bit of a curve ball, I'm curious how you guys would answer them:

- Tell us a bit about yourself, hobbies etc. (What are 'good' hobbies to mention? How in-depth should you go with analyzing yourself?)
    - Why should we hire you?
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    I found that video pretty helpful actually, especially the part about what types of questions to ask in an interview and what not to. thanks for the link!
    The following questions usually throw me a bit of a curve ball, I'm curious how you guys would answer them:

- Tell us a bit about yourself, hobbies etc. (What are 'good' hobbies to mention? How in-depth should you go with analyzing yourself?)
    - Why should we hire you?
    I never really understood the hobbies question. Like it would matter what people do in their spare time.

The question "Why should we hire you?" is pretty simple though. The answer should always be that you want the job for the job, whichever way you word or arguement that depends on the job in question. But out of all jobs that may be available to you, it should be that one that you really want. Answering with things such as "Because I'm unemployed and need the money" don't really shine. The employer knows that people need jobs to get money, that's the same for everyone. They just want to know 'why this job, why not another job?' when asking that question.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf