User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Interview Tips

MBTI
    STP

Here's my resume as a sample for anyone who wants to use it. It shows how you can be flexible in the layout and focus on your strengths without following traditional resume designs. I usually get offered the jobs I interview for, although it's important to know they're hiring you, not your resume. The resume is just your way of getting the interview, IME.

Also, I want to congratulate Halla on his new job. I just started a new job for a big company (you've probably used them to book plane tickets online). Tis good to be working!

Something I'll point out on my sample resume is my lack of education. Yes, it's true, I don't have a degree. Now I'm not saying you can make $100k+ a year without a degree because my career is not ordinary but you can at least see how the lack there-of doesn't stick out on my resume and it's still compelling.

sample resume.doc
    Good intentions are not enough.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Iacobus View Post
    Here's my resume as a sample for anyone who wants to use it. It shows how you can be flexible in the layout and focus on your strengths without following traditional resume designs. I usually get offered the jobs I interview for, although it's important to know they're hiring you, not your resume. The resume is just your way of getting the interview, IME.
    Your resume layout is very clean and readable, which is a HUGE selling point to someone who reads piles of sloppy, verbose reumes each day.
    Less is more!
    You are also correct about the resume being a door opener. It's all they know of you when you apply for a position, and it needs to be good enough to compel them to extend you a chance to interview. This is a great point to make.

Also, I want to congratulate Halla on his new job.
    Thank you! I appreciate that!

I just started a new job for a big company (you've probably used them to book plane tickets online). Tis good to be working!
    Congratulations to you, Sir!
    It is indeed good to be working. For some reason I keep accumulating all these bills! My job definitely has come in handy!

Something I'll point out on my sample resume is my lack of education. Yes, it's true, I don't have a degree. Now I'm not saying you can make $100k+ a year without a degree because my career is not ordinary but you can at least see how the lack there-of doesn't stick out on my resume and it's still compelling.
    Well, I don't know if having as many Cisco certifications AND Microsoft certifications as you have can be considered a lack of education!
    I know a few people with CCNA's and they said it was harder to pass those exams than to get a graduate degree.
    At any rate, your resume is a testament to the fact that there are indeed many roads to success.
    These days I wonder about the benefits of "formal education" as compared to the time and money it takes to get a degree of any kind.
    Universities pump students up with alot of info, but are notorious for letting them graduate without any TRANSFERABLE SKILLS.
    I think it's great that if you have the brainpower to achieve a highly technical certification that you are able to enjoy a very confortable salary.

Have a great weekend!

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Aren't .doc resume out of fashion? I usually use the moderncv Latex class so I have .pdf output, is .doc the actual standard and perhaps I'm coming across as a whacko? Mine looks something like this -> http://ctan.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/C...ssic_green.pdf (except the green which is blue)
    (not that my resume-sending activity has had great success. I'm much better at interviews)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Dear @Halla74 ,

I want a government job.
    I really do.
    But now is not a shining moment for govt agencies obviously.
    I hope things improve because I really don't want to work for a private company for long.
    Education is also an area I'd be interested in. Large healthcare entities as well.

@FDG I was told to use PDF and keep it to one page.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Aren't .doc resume out of fashion? I usually use the moderncv Latex class so I have .pdf output, is .doc the actual standard and perhaps I'm coming across as a whacko? Mine looks something like this -> http://ctan.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/C...ssic_green.pdf (except the green which is blue)
    (not that my resume-sending activity has had great success. I'm much better at interviews)
    Hey FDG,

I think I understand what you mean regarding MS Word (.doc) vs. PDF documents.
    -- Anyone can open a PDF document because Adobe Acrobat Reader is FREE.
    -- If a person does not have MS Word on their computer, they can download the MS Word viewer for free, but that is one extra step, and maybe a hassle for some.
    -- Most everyone has PDF Reader on their system considering the widespread use of PDF documents on the web.
    -- Adobe did well to create a document format that allowed robust content to be saved at a very small file size, in comparison to what the file size would be if the document were in MS Word format.

In the past I used to save my MS Word documents into .RTF (Rich Text Format) documents (simply click "Save As" and select the ".rtf" document type) before sending them to others as practically every WORD PROCESSOR, regardless if it is MS Word, OpenOffice Write, or any of the slew of FreeWare word processor apps available on Linux Systems, can open, edit, and save a RTF file.

Honestly, I think PDF is probably the way to go. Whenever I complete deliverables for a project I am working on, I save ALL of my documents (from MS Word, MS Excel, MS Visio, MS Project, etc.) into PDF format, e-mail them to the client, and Cc my supervisor and/or contract manager to ensure I have evidence my work was submitted on time. The PDF format makes it more difficult for others to manipulate/edit your document, as few people have the full blown version of ADobe Acrobat on their system, while most people have a somewhat recent version of MS Office, it seems.

There is a great application called "PDF995" that's a free download; you can get it at the link below:

http://www.pdf995.com/

It installs a print driver onto your system that allows you to create a PDF document from any application on your system that has a PRINT menu.
    Simply select the "PDF995 Printer Driver" option from the "Print" menu, instead of your DEFAULT printer.
    Once you click "Print" it will send the document through the PDF995 print driver and create a PDF version of it in the directory that the original document was opened from. The free version gives you pop-up ads (they are not that bad), but if you spend $9.95 you get no ads. Not a bad deal, because you get alot of other utilities when you shell out the $9.95.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Dear @Halla74 ,

I want a government job.
    I really do.
    But now is not a shining moment for govt agencies obviously.
    I hope things improve because I really don't want to work for a private company for long.
    Education is also an area I'd be interested in. Large healthcare entities as well.
    Looking for a FEDERAL government job is always safer than looking for a STATE government job, or COUNTY/CITY governmnet job.
    The Federal Government is BIGGER and has more MONEY than any other STATE or LOCAL government entities.
    Plus, the benefits on the Federal side, especially pensions, eclipse those of State governments.
    If you are going to look for a governmnet job, my advice would be to stick with the Federal level jobs.
    You won't necessarily have to live in Washington D.C.
    There are a huge number of Federal jobs in regional centers of each Agency, as well as throughout each state depending on the function.
    If you do spend some time in Washington D.C. though, your salary will be jacked up pretty quickly, and when you transfer out to a region that you wish to live in for the long term, you will be starting out there with a salary that is based in Washington D.C.'s cost of living, and therefore nice and comfy in most other regions of the U.S.

Leave it to ESTPs to know the loopholes...

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

@FDG I was told to use PDF and keep it to one page.
    I totally forgot to add one last tidbit earlier.

As far as keeping a resume to one page, that is not entirely realistic.
    Two reasons why include:

(1) If your resume is formatted nicely so that information is easily found, in a document that is attractive to the eye, a certain amount of "real estate" on that 8.5 inch X 11 inch piece of paper will be dedicated to "white space" and not contain any information at all. Especially if you have a nice header and a document footer.

(2) After one has been working for a certain amount of time, or working in a number of different areas, or a combination of both, it becomes impossible to state what you have accomplished in a single page.

Let's consider two extreme examples to obviate this point.

-- Can an individual who has worked for three years, 1 employer and attained a bachelor's degree but no professional certifications list their entire work experience on a single page? = YES

-- Can an individual who has worked for 17 years, for 7 employers, attained multiple degrees, and multiple professional certifications list their entire work experience on a single page? = NO WAY

So, there might not be a hard and fast formula that can determine the "optimal length" of your resume, as a function of how long you've worked, for how many employers, and what degrees + certifications you have achieved, etc...

BUT - if you are making sure that the information in your resume is "A.C.C.C." (Accurate, Clear, Concise, and Complete) - and you have aggregated your core durties and responsibilities by employer to eliminate redundancy, and you can't keep the document at one page or less, don't feel bad. That's a GOOD thing. My resume is 3 pages. If I took anything out of it it would take away from the totality of what I am capable of, or at least what I have PROVEN myself to be capable of to date.

Anyhoo, that's what I forget to write earlier.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

@Halla74 I was actually thinking the same thing when I heard that, but you know... I just do what I'm told.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

@Halla74 I was actually thinking the same thing when I heard that, but you know... I just do what I'm told.
    Ohhhh my! :horor:

We have some work to do, don't we?

Here we go!

PLEASE STRIKE the FOLLOWING CONCEPT from YOUR BRAIN:
    ...but you know... I just do what I'm told.

One of my favorite Professors started the first lecture of his class with: "Question EVERYTHING!!!"

It may sound trite, but if you think about it, it's true.
    Questioning things is FREE. Once you do something it might be IRREVOCABLE.
    Measure TWICE, cut ONCE.

also...

Just because you are questioning something doesn't mean you are being RUDE or INSOLENT.
    It simply means that you are trying to UNDERSTAND what you have been asked TO DO.

Extreme Example...

Even in times of warfare, soldiers are not allowed to "destroy a village" simply if commanded to do so.

Sooooo - Let's see how these new perspectives replace that old' sayin' of: "but you know... I just do what I'm told."

For further guidance, consider:

"FORGIVENESS is easier to obtain than PERMISSION."

"Excess is what made this country great."

and...

"EVIL spelled backwards is LIVE."

Good stuff, I tell you!

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes: