User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Why join Mensa?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Agent Jelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    344

    Default Why join Mensa?

    Today I was looking up random stuff on google and Mensa came up. So out of curiosity I looked at joining and the requirements. Turns out with my husbands AFQT score he qualifies to join. Here I am floored and just flabbergasted that he qualifies and hes like "why would I want to join that?"

    Well besides the prestige of belonging to a society that only 2% of the world is capable of belonging to... what are the benefits?

  2. #2
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    Today I was looking up random stuff on google and Mensa came up. So out of curiosity I looked at joining and the requirements. Turns out with my husbands AFQT score he qualifies to join. Here I am floored and just flabbergasted that he qualifies and hes like "why would I want to join that?"

    Well besides the prestige of belonging to a society that only 2% of the world is capable of belonging to... what are the benefits?
    I'm not really sure, I don't get it. I looked into it a little while back and it looks like just a club with an annual membership fee and it's "for socialization and talking about anything that interests you." I guess it's so that high IQ people can talk to other high IQ people- (for a fee, of course...) Just an interest group I suppose, like a 4h or knitting club.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Agent Jelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm not really sure, I don't get it. I looked into it a little while back and it looks like just a club with an annual membership fee and it's "for socialization and talking about anything that interests you." I guess it's so that high IQ people can talk to other high IQ people- (for a fee, of course...) Just an interest group I suppose, like a 4h or knitting club.
    Yeah. Well he was excited about the thinkgeek discount, lol

  4. #4
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Why join Mensa:

    Annual Gathering (AG) in Reno next July. The AG is the big annual national convention for Mensa; it usually gets about 2,500 attendees. For me, it's an excuse for a cross-country car trip, with a luxury hotel at discounted rates when I get there. That's probably the only reason I'm going to renew my membership next year.

    Aside from the once-a-year AG, there are also Regional Gatherings (RGs) put on by each chapter at different times during the year. Some people like traveling around to the various RGs if they have some time on their hands. AGs and RGs are 3-day parties, usually in a nice hotel with a nice discount. RGs get maybe 250 attendees on average, depending on where they're located.

    Aside from that, the chapters in major cities are pretty active. If you check their calendars, there are often events (game nights, parties, restauranting) most nights of the week. OTOH if you don't live in a major city, then your local chapter may be pretty dinky or non-existent.

    That's about it. And a monthly magazine and the local chapter's newsletter and maybe some message boarding with fellow Mensans.

  5. #5
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    The 'prestige' is remarkably shallow. I relate to not having any intention or whatever to join.

    However, to join in order to put it on your resume CAN influence employers to hire you instead of someone else. So, whilest being a member of mensa isn't as special as it is made out to be, one can still use it to their advantage.

    So that would be a good reason to join mensa.

    But if you're looking to join because you want to feel special and smart and top 2 percentile, then I got news for you, turns out you're not that smart after all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  6. #6
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Yeah, Mensa membership looks good on a resume. As for the social aspects, you could accomplish much the same thing by joining a large church in a big city for the social events (or maybe a large lodge like the Rotary Club). Assuming you have an active Mensa chapter nearby, basically it's just something to do on the weekends--it gets you out of the house and out socializing.

    As for the fact that everyone's in the top 2 percent of IQ... Yeah, you can tell, sort of. Mensans are quick. They are quick to respond, and quick to get your jokes no matter how off-the-wall they may be. And there's an intellectual trend for events and presentations at AGs and RGs. But other than that, your average Rotary Club social event wouldn't be all that much different from a typical Mensa social event. Lots of drinking at both.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    However, to join in order to put it on your resume CAN influence employers to hire you instead of someone else.
    Donald Trump fired a Mensa guy, after calling him stupid. ( I agreed with Donald.)
    I think the line went something like, "You may be in Mensa, but you're pretty stupid."

    I'm sure the Mensa organization enjoyed that.

  8. #8
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    Today I was looking up random stuff on google and Mensa came up. So out of curiosity I looked at joining and the requirements. Turns out with my husbands AFQT score he qualifies to join. Here I am floored and just flabbergasted that he qualifies and hes like "why would I want to join that?"

    Well besides the prestige of belonging to a society that only 2% of the world is capable of belonging to... what are the benefits?
    I think your husband's intelligence is more easily discerned from his decision not to join mensa, than the standardized IQ test. You married a smart man.

  9. #9
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    In my case, I joined Mensa because I wanted to get out and be more social, and Mensa was right there. I already qualified on the basis of my SAT scores, and I lived right in the middle of one of the world’s most active chapters (the Washington DC chapter, called MWM). I could attend local events pretty much every night of the week.

    OTOH, I’m planning to move out of the area soon, and I don’t expect I’ll have an active Mensa chapter nearby. So at my next location I’ll probably join a local lodge or bowling league or whatever, and that’ll be fine too. I don’t need to be surrounded by braniacs; I’m just looking for a social group where I can claim something in common (no matter how superficial), enjoy "insider" status as a result, and jump right into the social events of the group.

  10. #10
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    The 'prestige' is remarkably shallow. I relate to not having any intention or whatever to join.

    However, to join in order to put it on your resume CAN influence employers to hire you instead of someone else. So, whilest being a member of mensa isn't as special as it is made out to be, one can still use it to their advantage.

    So that would be a good reason to join mensa.

    But if you're looking to join because you want to feel special and smart and top 2 percentile, then I got news for you, turns out you're not that smart after all.
    Do NOT put Mensa on your resume. A lot of employers get turned off by that - it implies (truthfully or falsely) that you're pretentious, arrogant and elitist. Plus, if you're getting into a field reflective of a Mensa IQ score, they're going to laugh and think, "So? Everyone applying (with their law degrees/physics degrees) is going to be brighter than the rest of the population anyway - is Mensa supposed to differentiate you from the rest of the herd?"

    This isn't my opinion, I've seen resumes indicating Mensa membership, and it doesn't influence me one way or another, but a lot of other people get turned off, according to a bit of Googling.

    When you're looking for a job, sending out heaps of resumes, going through the ordeal of customized cover letters/follow-up/etc, the last thing you want to do is automatically eliminate yourself from the pool.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


Similar Threads

  1. Why are you here?
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
  2. Religion... why?
    By wyrdsister in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
  3. Why I am here
    By HilbertSpace in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 01:18 AM
  4. Why?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO