User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Why join Mensa?

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    By "amazing social skills", I was maintaining the hope <insert praying smilie> that there are other strategies, beyond acting dumb or sucking up, that I haven't figured out yet.
    You could always study up on techniques for "managing upward." See the bolded third-to-last sentence:

The Peter Principle states that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence", meaning that employees tend to be promoted until they reach a position at which they cannot work competently. It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous [1] treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of hierarchiology."

The principle holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Eventually they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out their duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence". "Managing upward" is the concept of a subordinate finding ways to subtly "manage" superiors in order to limit the damage that they end up doing.

This principle can be modelled and has theoretical validity for simulations.[2] However, all of the real-world evidence for it is anecdotal (and often intended to be humorous in nature).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    You could always study up on techniques for "managing upward." See the bolded third-to-last sentence:
    Perfect, thanks!

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I kind of wondered. When I get a lot of pushback from someone, it often turns out that they have some prior personal experience with Mensa.

Yeah, the smaller chapters are often ossified and inbred, ruled by greyhairs who have run it one way forever and don't want anyone to challenge them. I was turned off by my first (and second) exposure to Mensa myself. I investigated a chapter in Honolulu and later one in Phoenix and had bad experiences with both. It was like going to a family barbecue with a bunch of cranky grandparents and elderly aunts and uncles. It was only when I was in DC that I found a chapter big enough and active enough that it was worth joining. (And of course I myself was older by then.)

FWIW, the big chapters are making a real effort to reach out to younger people. The greyhairs aren’t going to last forever. The DC chapter has active Generation X and Gen Y SIGs (Special Interest Groups), and the leader (LocSec) of the DC chapter is himself a Gen X-er.

So if you’re younger, then yeah--it may be imperative to seek out one of the bigger chapters or head out to the bigger events: RGs and AGs. The smaller chapters can be a little scary: The people in the small chapters just don’t realize how old and out-of-touch they’ve become.
    You totally NAILED it - they were a bunch of greyhairs. At the time, I was 18 (21 now) - and I felt like I was walking in one some strangers' private family reunion (well, one consisting solely of "grands" and "greats", baby boomers and older.

It was located in the boondocks indeed. So yeah, a blonde 18 year old ESFP (with hair slicked back in a ponytail from swimming pool chlorine) walking in on *that*....

Next year I may be moving to NYC, so I might consider giving it another shot.

Weren't you the acid reflux guru in my thread? I suppose Mensans suffer from heartburn in lieu of brain freeze.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Next year I may be moving to NYC, so I might consider giving it another shot.
    Sounds good. No harm in checking it out. Especially if you’re not familiar with NYC--it would be nice to have some friendly contacts around town.

I’m not familiar with the NYC chapter (GNYM) myself. But it looks like it has a fairly active calendar.

Here is a link for the main calendar of events, with contact data deleted. A lot of these events are going to attended by the Boomer crowd. But I see a group that meets to discuss Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That would be a little bit younger.
    http://www.gnym.us.mensa.org/201108.html

And then on the SIG page, there’s a group called Sig X: “For all GNYM twentysomethings and thirtysomethings...” Sometimes the SIGs have their own calendars of events separate from the main calendar.
    http://www.gnym.us.mensa.org/sigs.html

So when the time comes, I would start by getting in contact with the Sig X coordinator and seeing if that SIG is still active. (Hit the “Contacts” button on the side.) Even if it’s not, the coordinator can at least tell you which would be the best events to attend on the main calendar (i.e., tell you where the younger members tend to show up).

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Weren't you the acid reflux guru in my thread? I suppose Mensans suffer from heartburn in lieu of brain freeze.
    Lol! Yeah, my pokey stomach can’t keep up with my high-octane brain.