• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it any harderto transfer to a Univeristy before completeing undergraduate studies?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't even have a year of schooling under my belt yet, but since Uncle Sam is paying for my college education, I'd rather go to the University of Washington as opposed to community college like I'm doing now. I know there are a few factors to determine eligibility for enrollment into a university like GPA, ACT/SAT scores, an entrance essay, etc. but does not being a brand new student, yet not even having an Associates degree matter much? Do they typically prefer you to be either a brand new freshmen or have an AA, or does it even matter?

G

Glycerine

No. I transferred to university before finishing my A.A. and the university did not care. Under a certain level of credits, they will look to your high school grades but after that, the hs grades do not matter. The only potential snag is that without the AA, the university may debate the transferability of some of your credits. However, the AA, at least, in my state, is hardly debated upon. Once, you have the AA, it means that that you completed the first two years and it's almost a guarantee that the state school won't question the transferability of it.

Overall, it's quite possible to transfer without the AA.... it's not really that much harder unless you are trying to get into a very competitive specialized program like engineering. I say go for it!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Cool, thanks. Now to get my GPA to over a 3.5 and take an ACT or SAT!

*grumble*

foxonstilts

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
3w8
Just confirming what Glycerine said. :p It's pretty ridiculously east since most people with an AA go to a larger university afterwards and almost all the credits (all of them if you're in a similar region) transfer. It's amaaazing. You just have to meet the University's standards for transfer students (should be on their website somewhere.) *thumbs up* Hell, I took two summer classes at a community college because it was cheaper while I was enrolled at a 4-year institution because it was cheaper.

Any reason why you're switching in particular?

edit: ohhh nevermind the question. I read and saw that all your tuition is paid for. :p Most people start out at CCs because they're so much cheaper.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ :laugh: But with that, you'll have no problem.

I'd say transfering straight into college out of high school, or after no school at all, is extremely difficult. Community college takes financial burden off of everything, and thus makes school less stressful. The work is no different--easier classes have lighter loads no matter what university you're taking them at--and your bachelor's degree will show your college of choice either way.

With your case in particular, you seem to be alright. You'll have to work a bit harder probably in university, but that's never hurt people before. (Well, not many.) If there's no financial burdens to take on one way or the other, than do what you'd like. If you'll have to take on more responsibility, I'd say stay where you are and ensure you can maintain a great GPA without financial stress/burden first.. No need to bite off more than you can chew when you're not even hungry.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
One potential advantage to finishing your AA is that many state schools have a mandate to accept grads of their state CC system. For savy people in my neck of the woods this has been a "back door" into UVA. It also makes transfering easier in that the accepting university has much less latitude about what credits will and will not accept. As a general rule you'll find it easier to transfer with the associates then not. On the other hand if you only have a year in and haven't taken anything much but core requirments it probably won't be a big problem. Hmm... I assume you expect to transfer in the spring semester... that gives you about 3 semesters toward an AA. Might be worth hanging in there to graduate: you may ease the transfer process and save some money.