User Tag List

Thread: Hey teachers, (and band teachers)

Default Hey teachers, (and band teachers)

Big question here: How are you with your kids? How do you establish rapport with them? And be connected with them?

I've been real shy my whole life, and haven't always felt like I've known what to say. But I love high school kids and I love marching band. After all, you can't discipline your kids if they don't know you.

So what works for your kids? Looking for someone's 2 cents here...

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar

Oh, gee, that's a good question. I think the important thing is to be authentic – children are especially adept at picking up on fake vibes, something some people lose as they get older. So I guess that means don't try too hard. I'm just myself, and I find it works.

Another thing to keep in mind is: let's say someone is being a real weirdo jerk-off in class. Rather than reprimanding someone in front of the room, take them aside and address the issue on a one-on-one basis. I find this much more effective, and when students notice you have a genuine interest in them and what they do, it typically works.

These seem like no-brainers, but that's a good start. If you need advice for specific situations, though, I'd need more details first.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Just be who you are. The kids will see that you care about them, and they will respond to that. I think they can tell when teachers are uptight or jaded or whatever, and they naturally respond to those who truly enjoy their company and respect them. It's been my experience in life and as a teacher that kids and teens are pretty drawn to INTPs anyway, because we always treat them like equals.

Make sure you let them know in the beginning what your "rules" and consequences are, and let the onus be on them to be responsible.
    Something Witty