User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career passed away... time for a new one???

it's tea time! Array Walking Tourist's Avatar

Default Career passed away... time for a new one???

I am old but not yet decrepit.
    My journalism career, however, is deceased. It was never very healthy to begin with and needed a lot of time on life support. Unfortunately, all of the transfusions and all of the love and attention failed to have the desired effect on the career. It passed away after suffering a long, lingering illness.
    The owner of the defunct journalism career, namely me, wonders what comes next. Being a journalist was fun. It was far from lucrative, but it was fun.
    "I would have been considered well off if I had lived in Haiti or Bangladesh," I said. "Being a migrant farm worker would have been a step up in terms of standard of living."
    A few people are mourning the demise of this not-so-promising career. No one seems to know what to say about the deceased career, as no society has created any rituals to say goodbye to a career.
    So... what kind of career is next?
    I've been doing a little gardening to make money.
    It is fun.
    And it pays better than my former journalism career.
    But I really don't know what to do next.
    Any ideas????
    A Recovering Journalist
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Immediately, I'd get any sort of job that was close by that I could walk/bike to. Just something that pays consistently, and gives you consistent hours. Working at an establishment like that means you're re-building a resume, possibly getting connections, and gives you an income in order to figure out your life with. You said you're gardening, so that's good.

Don't stop moving, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Lots of people fail with careers.. it's a normal part of it all.

What do you want to do is the real question?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Freaking Ratchet Array Rail Tracer's Avatar

I'm curious as to why you went into journalism besides it being fun. What made it fun to you?

Senior Member Array Sanctus Iacobus's Avatar

I think you need to shift your perspective before looking on to your next career. Who says becoming a journalist was a mistake? The only thing you've done wrong that I can see is that you've given up.

Now, I'm not saying you should keep trying to be a journalist, cause it sounds like you've already beat a dead horse for a while. I'm saying... what can you turn it into?

Consider this... the ground you use to help your plants grow is made from poo, dead plants, and biodegradable junk, and yet, it's these things from which a beautiful new life springs from best. So what if your journalism career turned out to be a pile of crap... the question is, are you going to grow something new from it, or just give up and say it's useless to you now?

Senior Member Array

If you do something in the healthcare field, you will never be out of work.

it's tea time! Array Walking Tourist's Avatar

Thank you for your great responses. I'm going to mull it over for a few days and answer each one individually.
    Stay cool and enjoy life!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

937 so/sx

Do you still love to write? There are many online writing gigs at places like Elance ... for example, websites are continually looking for writers to contribute content. This way, you could supplement your income too. And, you have the credentials already ...

Something to investigate ...

And good luck to you. P.S. Age is just a number.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

lab rat extraordinaire Array CrystalViolet's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

Don't do health care, if you don't want your soul sucked dry. (I sound bitter, don't I? ). I'm going to be starting a new degree next year, studying by could do some thing like that. My eventual goal is to become a clinical psychologist, some thing I feel I would be much better suited too. Plus I had one hell of a wake up call with this current career. It's time to move on to greener pastures.
    Good luck with your new endeavors.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

Maybe you can do something to pass on your experience?

apply to china daily.
    they take anybody.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken