• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career passed away... time for a new one???

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I am old but not yet decrepit.
My journalism career, however, is deceased. It was never very healthy to begin with and needed a lot of time on life support. Unfortunately, all of the transfusions and all of the love and attention failed to have the desired effect on the career. It passed away after suffering a long, lingering illness.
The owner of the defunct journalism career, namely me, wonders what comes next. Being a journalist was fun. It was far from lucrative, but it was fun.
"I would have been considered well off if I had lived in Haiti or Bangladesh," I said. "Being a migrant farm worker would have been a step up in terms of standard of living."
A few people are mourning the demise of this not-so-promising career. No one seems to know what to say about the deceased career, as no society has created any rituals to say goodbye to a career.
So... what kind of career is next?
I've been doing a little gardening to make money.
It is fun.
And it pays better than my former journalism career.
But I really don't know what to do next.
Any ideas????
Help!
Signed,
A Recovering Journalist

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Immediately, I'd get any sort of job that was close by that I could walk/bike to. Just something that pays consistently, and gives you consistent hours. Working at an establishment like that means you're re-building a resume, possibly getting connections, and gives you an income in order to figure out your life with. You said you're gardening, so that's good.

Don't stop moving, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Lots of people fail with careers.. it's a normal part of it all.

What do you want to do is the real question?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm curious as to why you went into journalism besides it being fun. What made it fun to you?

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
I think you need to shift your perspective before looking on to your next career. Who says becoming a journalist was a mistake? The only thing you've done wrong that I can see is that you've given up.

Now, I'm not saying you should keep trying to be a journalist, cause it sounds like you've already beat a dead horse for a while. I'm saying... what can you turn it into?

Consider this... the ground you use to help your plants grow is made from poo, dead plants, and biodegradable junk, and yet, it's these things from which a beautiful new life springs from best. So what if your journalism career turned out to be a pile of crap... the question is, are you going to grow something new from it, or just give up and say it's useless to you now?

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
If you do something in the healthcare field, you will never be out of work.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Thank you for your great responses. I'm going to mull it over for a few days and answer each one individually.
Stay cool and enjoy life!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Do you still love to write? There are many online writing gigs at places like Elance ... for example, websites are continually looking for writers to contribute content. This way, you could supplement your income too. And, you have the credentials already ...

Something to investigate ... :)

And good luck to you. P.S. Age is just a number.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't do health care, if you don't want your soul sucked dry. (I sound bitter, don't I? ). I'm going to be starting a new degree next year, studying by correspondence....you could do some thing like that. My eventual goal is to become a clinical psychologist, some thing I feel I would be much better suited too. Plus I had one hell of a wake up call with this current career. It's time to move on to greener pastures.
Good luck with your new endeavors.

ygolo

My termites win
Just an idea. Write a book about your search for a new career. Make it your last journalism project. Do it as an investigative piece on all the careers that are open (or maybe not so open) to you. Then implement the result of your investigation.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That's cool! That's much better than the obituary that I was planning on writing for my deceased career!!!

Just an idea. Write a book about your search for a new career. Make it your last journalism project. Do it as an investigative piece on all the careers that are open (or maybe not so open) to you. Then implement the result of your investigation.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
It was fun because I got to meet really interesting people who told me their stories. Then I had the opportunity to tell their stories to readers. I met so many interesting people. There was the former pig farmer who went into a business selling solar panels and there was a guy who was the co founder of Military Families Speak Out. He walked for many miles for peace. I got to interview playwrights and jazz singers and 100 year old people who lived incredible lives. I met former professional baseball players. And... Marcel Marceau talked to me!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to be a journalist so that I could tell stories.
And I did.
Even after my journalism career died, people still told me stories. They do now.
But I have no way to share them any more. Well... I don't know...

I'm curious as to why you went into journalism besides it being fun. What made it fun to you?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
This means more to me than you know.
Yes, I still love to write... and draw...
These days, I am focused more on my drawing because it just feels right.
I'll look into Elance and other online writing gigs when the weather turns cold and I have no more gardens in which to play.
me

Do you still love to write? There are many online writing gigs at places like Elance ... for example, websites are continually looking for writers to contribute content. This way, you could supplement your income too. And, you have the credentials already ...

Something to investigate ... :)

And good luck to you. P.S. Age is just a number.